• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    seems forgotten Staley was winning games with Bandy/Carter/Sarell/Clapp starting

are they good players or well coached or both?
    Somehow it all gets back to John Spanos. And the metric system. And Canada.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      seems forgotten Staley was winning games with Bandy/Carter/Sarell/Clapp starting

are they good players or well coached or both?
      You mean we won games in spite of Bandy and Sarell. Both those guys were awful.

Clapp was adequate.

Comment

• jox g
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Probably what happened after the Spanoses decided to move on from Lynn two years ago is that Staley interviewed very well and maybe Daboll is not really good at the interview process. Staley I'm sure interviews very well. But the candidate who interviews well is not always going to perform the job the best. Experience and accomplishments are what matters.
        Geez, I adopted the EAGLES as a #2 team now (after being a boltfan for 46 yrs). They have 2 ex chargers on there and 2 assistant coaches. I wanted Hurts in the 2nd also. This got CEMENTED when I researched Dabol's qualifications versus Staleys at the time of hire. Ditto for Anthnoy Lynn hre vs Sean McDermott. I Googled both candidates' qualifications. It was a no brainer with the experience and mentors each of the above mentioned had. For their sakes, I hope they hire Olson for the same reason. "More surefire" to do well = experience

Daboll was under Bellicheck's tree.
        McDermott was under Reid's tree.

The other guys bolts hired had minimal experience. Maybe they were invited to interview and said "No thanks?" If you have an "attractive owner" then it helps too.

Comment

• Iowachargers1970
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2022
          • Send PM

No coaching vacancy has been filled yet. Still time for the Spanoses to come to their senses and move on from Staley in favor of an HC who knows NFL offenses, like Zac Taylor, like Kyle Shanahan, like Nick Sirianni, like Brian Daboll. There are guys like that available - the OCs for the Bengals or Eagles for example. Head coaches who come from offense win in this league. Defensive coaches (Staley, McDermott) go home.

No offense to Staley. But when you build your team around one of the top QB talents in the league, does it make sense to stick him with a head coach who has never worked in an NFL offense? I questioned this when Staley was hired. I supported Staley the past two seasons because I wanted him to succeed.

But when I see what Taylor has done with Burrow, Sirianni (and Steichen) has done with Hurts and what Shanahan is doing with Purdy it becomes obvious that if you want to win in this league, especially when your most important player - the QB - is also the best player on the team, you pair that player with a head coach who is well-steeped in NFL offense.

If they stick with Staley, I believe next season will end like this season (and last season) and another year of Herbert's career will be wasted, and they will making a coaching change that should be made right now, not a year from now.
          Didn't Staley play QB in college?

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Iowachargers1970 View Post

Didn't Staley play QB in college?
            He played QB at University of Dayton and Meryhurst College from 2003-05.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I still see a few Gus Bradley guys (Murray, Adderley, Tranquill) : the roster still needs to be scrubbed and that debris needs to be completely removed.
              The positions that those guys vacate need to be upgraded big time.

Comment

• perryao
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Our only hope is if Staley wants to hire his brother as OC and by then all the good candidates will be gone.
                hahaha. Schotty manuever.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Based on almost every word that comes out of his mouth. He is uncomfortable with individual praise and will always switch out 'me' with 'team' when given the opportunity. He is loyal to a fault to the team, players and coaches.

Given his personality there's no way I see that he demands absolute top dollar for his new contract (re-setting the QB market), no way that he puts himself above the team and creates a distraction. His lifestyle is not one of excess - the money will be less important (to him) than it would be to the bulk of NFL players. He'll get paid a huge amount - no question, and that will be good enough for him. In fact, as Fouts2herbert notes, I think it's highly likely that he accepts a lesser amount to enable other players to be paid. It's just the way he is.
                  You made up the first part and then made of the entirety of the rest. This is all your projection. He hasnt said anything I haven’t heard 100 other NFL QBs say. Talk about wishful hearing … it’s ball player-speak. What it really shows is he has the intelligence to say the “right things” that can convince suckers he only cares about others.

Chargers have the rights to him for a very long time if they want. There is no reason for them to not want to. He will be on a year-by-year high risk deal with no out-years protection and at that point he will care about having a long term contract with lifetime security. He will have one choice - LAC.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jox g
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Honestly, if I were GM here's my criteria for HC - Leader, Smart, Adapts, Disciplined, Detailed, Hard Working, Integrity, Trustworthy, Humanitarian. Finds a way to win. Uses and practices Art of War

OC/DC - SMART, then leader, adapts, knowledgeable, always improving. Has solid coaching tree. Uses and practices AofW​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You made up the first part and then made of the entirety of the rest. This is all your projection. He hasnt said anything I haven’t heard 100 other NFL QBs say. Talk about wishful hearing … it’s ball player-speak. What it really shows is he has the intelligence to say the “right things” that can convince suckers he only cares about others.

Chargers have the rights to him for a very long time if they want. There is no reason for them to not want to. He will be on a year-by-year high risk deal with no out-years protection and at that point he will care about having a long term contract with lifetime security. He will have one choice - LAC.
                      Not made up . . . you need to read what's been written about him . . . He is not like many / most other NFL QB's.

You must be joking about him caring about (or needing) a long term contract from the Chargers. JH has all the leverage, Chargers have none, zip, nada. If he (or his agent) make even the slightest reference to the possibility that he might want out of LA there would be an avalanche of interest, and teams would be lining up to pitch their offers. If he wanted to play hardball he could play out the 2 years left on his 5 year rookie contract (23 & 24), then play 1 year on the FT (25) and then be available for anyone willing to pay the price in $$$'s and draft picks. That would be 3 years from now, when he's 27.

If he put himself on the market - letting it be known that he would NOT be resigning with the Chargers, most of the other teams in the league would be killing each other to be first to pay him.

Luckily for us he's not that guy . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Not made up . . . you need to read what's been written about him . . . He is not like many / most other NFL QB's.

You must be joking about him caring about (or needing) a long term contract from the Chargers. JH has all the leverage, Chargers have none, zip, nada. If he (or his agent) make even the slightest reference to the possibility that he might want out of LA there would be an avalanche of interest, and teams would be lining up to pitch their offers. If he wanted to play hardball he could play out the 2 years left on his 5 year rookie contract (23 & 24), then play 1 year on the FT (25) and then be available for anyone willing to pay the price in $$$'s and draft picks. That would be 3 years from now, when he's 27.

If he put himself on the market - letting it be known that he would NOT be resigning with the Chargers, most of the other teams in the league would be killing each other to be first to pay him.

Luckily for us he's not that guy . . . . . .
                        I said he cares about a long term contract that guarantees >$200 (might be $300 guaranteed) no matter what happens to him the next day or week, vs a year to year pay at $30-40M that has no guarantee beyond that year. I never said he cares its the Chargers as I don’t know that, you should read more carefully yourself. I said the Chargers can be the only team that is allowed to offer a long term contract if they choose to be. I further say the will choose that, no way they just watch their best player walk. Every player wants to maximize the guaranteed portion of the contract as they know high salary non-guaranteed out years often don’t get paid. Players hate the tag rule as its fundamentally an owners rule against the player.

you say he doesn’t care about money, i say where is the evidence of that? You got nothing. Pfft, i say. He’ll have plenty of business and family advisors helping him understand this is his job and you don’t get sentimental about $200+ M.

No player on a rookie contract has leverage if the team decides to retain theirs. They can franchise tag him 3x (not once) and since his market value would be equivalent to Top 5 QBs anyway, he likely costs less than his big new long term deal. in the meantime they have zero forward guaranteed $ liability if he gets permanently injured.

So he plays out the last 2 years, then they can him 3 more, thats 5 years. He won’t have leverage until 2028.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

He played QB at University of Dayton and Meryhurst College from 2003-05.
                          that's such great experience and panned out SOOOO WELL for him eh? He can really see how other O's are working and then develop a D that kills that O! Pfffft!!! He is a TERRIBLE DC! Results speak for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                          X