Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

On the one hand its probably known that Staley will get fired next year if its another underachieving season.

So maybe the prospective OC knows that its only for one year.

On the other hand, if Staley is fired, maybe that current OC could be promoted up.
    I said the same thing in another thread, last week. Definitely could be contributing to the perceived lack of interest. I don't think too many OCs hire on with the idea that the HC is going to fired at the end of their first season and they would be the top candidate for the job. Particularly in the Chargers' case next year. If they bomb, which I fully expect them to do, then Staley and Telesco are both almost certainly gone, and the new regime is probably going to want to rebuild the staff with their own guys.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Or we win the SB and everybody gets to pose with the Lombardi trophy if the OC does a good job.
      His stock will be high on the HC list for a bunch of teams.
      Chargers 2023 OC is a premium position for an offensive guru.
      I see last week never happened already, lol.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

This coaching job was a premium position when Staley got hired because of Justin. We should have hired a head coach for Justin instead of giving him inexperienced one year D coordinator based on how you like his interviewing skills and not his resume.

he floundered trying to hire an OC last time going for qualified unavailable coaches and settling for a failed coach who was an old buddy of his from his younger days and not based on his coaching resume.

now he is even more of a lame duck and our ownership has proven further they won’t pay top dollar on coaching and we need to convince someone to come here in a possible lame duck situation with no stability and we clearly aren’t going to get our top choice once again and we don’t even look at the top candidates cuz they cost too much. I am so fed up with ownership man.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          It’s just coach speak, it means nothing, you guys are reading way too much into press conference pablum. I think the correlation coefficient between press conference sound bites and the probability of future coaching success is pretty low.
          I get that most of what's said in pressers is coach speak - all these guys do it and it's par for the course. That's not my concern. My concern is that he can (with a straight face) make statements like 'I thought we coached at a high level' in reference to Saturday's game. That is not 'coach speak', that is . . . . . something else, and it's concerning to have the leader of our team CAPABLE of making that statement in public.

That's what's worrisome . . . .

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
            This coaching job was a premium position when Staley got hired because of Justin. We should have hired a head coach for Justin instead of giving him inexperienced one year D coordinator based on how you like his interviewing skills and not his resume.

he floundered trying to hire an OC last time going for qualified unavailable coaches and settling for a failed coach who was an old buddy of his from his younger days and not based on his coaching resume.

now he is even more of a lame duck and our ownership has proven further they won’t pay top dollar on coaching and we need to convince someone to come here in a possible lame duck situation with no stability and we clearly aren’t going to get our top choice once again and we don’t even look at the top candidates cuz they cost too much. I am so fed up with ownership man.
            Daboll was the guy

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Mike McDaniel was promoted to OC with the 49ers less than a day after Staley was hired so I guess you could spin that as not wanting to work with Staley and staying with the team he was with for 5 years. O'Connell and Hackett were both OCs for other teams and you have to get permission for a lateral move. The Rams denied permission for the Chargers to interview O'Connell. Not sure about Hackett. Lombardi was reported as Staley's 4th choice so I'm not sure where the LeFleur rejection came in.

None of that matters any way - if candidates reject the position now, it would be more meaningful. With a young QB, a lot of good young talent on the oline, and some talent (though admittingly lacking speed) at WR and a back like Ekeler, this will be a very enticing job primed for an instant turn around. If someone "fixes" the offense, they are in line for a quick jump to HC. If Staley gets blown out, they could get promoted to HC or at worse they still get paid.
              Guys SHOULD want to come here and be Herbert's OC. On the other hand the football coaching community is laughing their collective asses off after watching that game and then Staley's follow up presser. I hope we get someone good - for Justin's sake. He deserves better.

I don't see BS improving (enough) though - but we're going to find out . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

With this Ownership group I'm not sure anyone could be a 'lame duck'. Apparently the only way to get fired is to demand more money . . . . job performance is not part of the evaluation

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Daboll was the guy
                  I thought that was an obvious given, it was all the speculation. Even went way back with Telesco. I was totally on board.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I thought that was an obvious given, it was all the speculation. Even went way back with Telesco. I was totally on board.
                    Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. OC who developed Josh Allen, who was not that good out of college, paired with Herbert. Duh.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. OC who developed Josh Allen, who was not that good out of college, paired with Herbert. Duh.
                      It was such a bleeping no-brainer. I woke up that Saturday morning- saw that Schefter had sent the missive that "Daboll seems to be the leading candidate for the Chargers" and thought to myself - they are finally getting it right. And even though the Bills beat the RAvens that night - so the Bills would play another week - thought the Chargers would wait.

Than started reading Staley would interview with the Texans and Eagles, the Rams lost that Saturday to the Packers - and Deano got a chub or something and had to make the hire and I think it was Pellisero or fan boy Shrager who broke the news that Sunday night and I was so pissed off.

Telesco and Daboll had roots together' Daboll had oodles of experience, both success and failure... it was a no brainer

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        Another article about Staley that many here could have written:

The Chargers' owners, the Spanos family, are taking a huge gamble that scrutinized Brandon Staley can make a huge leap as a coach and make his team super.

WOW...would redo a lot of his mistakes if given the chance for a redo. are you KIDDING me you STUPID FUCK?!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

King Checkdown may have already reached his ceiling...
                          When herbert gives his acceptance speech for the HOF, make sure to go and take your “we should’ve drafted tua sign” with you…
                          :LOL:
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X