• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

From what I have seen - really good player. I thought Brock Bowers was better - but he is not draft eligible. I can see Telesco salivating over that guy already.
    Notre Dame guy too lol

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Oh I get what Staley is trying to say, and I do appreciate he is one coach who will discuss schematics and give more info in pressers than most NFL coaches.

The talk js gets a little tiring when we contunually watch him and his staff get outcoached in the games though. Cant remember a staff more brutal with in game adjustments both making them and coping with other teams adjustments. We saw it as recently as last game. And it wasnt just Lombardi's offence. Staley's defence could not cope with the adjustments that Pederson made at half time.
      Sounds like it’s just better for Staley to say as little as possible. Especially with regards to recovery. He’s been too quick and honest about things when medical prognosis can change.

Also with regards to the second half, K9 taking out Davis really sucked.

Last edited by Xenos; 01-19-2023, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        I wouldn't be hanging my hat on criticizing the substance or details about what Staley says at the immediate season end presser.

It's a long ways to September and what happens between now and then, to heal up and build upon what happened last off season is what matters.

Every year, keeping up and getting ahead with the trends in the three phases is front and center.

Be forward thinking rather than have perfect answers right now.
        BREAKING NEWS AT 11! Coach speaks coach-speak at a news conference.

Anyone ever watch a Belichick news conference? Just wondering. Want to see him break out his Madden White Board? Coaches always talk in pablum and cliche.

this year was better than last, just not nearly as good as we expected. He’s got another year, I’ll rally and pull for him.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Another article about Staley that many here could have written:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plaschke-...025813002.html

spot on quote in the article from Plaschke"

" It would be easy to be excited with him, if one thought he was willing to make the changes that would elevate his coaching to a championship level.
          But over the last two seasons, every public hard look in the mirror seems to be accompanied by a stubbornness that inhibits the sort of self-examination that leads to growth."

A lot of Anthony Lynn in Staley.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Interesting comment by Peyton Manning about halftime adjustments.
            https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnkbq...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Mars
              • Ball Holder
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Wade Phillips disagrees.

He owned everyone in the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

I think it is more about the coaches (not the players) getting an extra few minutes to look at film / formations from the first half and come up with a plan.

with technology today, the coaches can also do a lot during the game.

however, if there was a dire change needed, i think the halftime is more about the coaches getting a chance to get together and taking time to discuss the problem. Staley's eyes are on the field every play - he does not have time to sit down with the other coaches.

then again, it seemed like the chargers' coaches never did shit at halftime (judging by the 3rd quarter results), so who knows.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

spot on quote in the article from Plaschke"

" It would be easy to be excited with him, if one thought he was willing to make the changes that would elevate his coaching to a championship level.
                  But over the last two seasons, every public hard look in the mirror seems to be accompanied by a stubbornness that inhibits the sort of self-examination that leads to growth."

A lot of Anthony Lynn in Staley.
                  I don’t know. It feels like he caved under media pressure and stopped being as aggressive on 4th down this year. In addition to the other things that Staley changed despite what Plaschke said.

Also fuck Plaschke!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

I think it is more about the coaches (not the players) getting an extra few minutes to look at film / formations from the first half and come up with a plan.

with technology today, the coaches can also do a lot during the game.

however, if there was a dire change needed, i think the halftime is more about the coaches getting a chance to get together and taking time to discuss the problem. Staley's eyes are on the field every play - he does not have time to sit down with the other coaches.

then again, it seemed like the chargers' coaches never did shit at halftime (judging by the 3rd quarter results), so who knows.
                    It's the ability to adjust on the fly.

In my days,.....we never got together at halftime and went over a new game plan either. We did discuss what they were doing.....sometimes. That also happened during the game, as you see them with their tablets.

Sometimes it was a peptalk.

Depended on if we were winning or not....from my memory way back lol.

Before the game is when we had the game plan and then if it didn't work well, try something else.

As they both said, you don't really have time.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      Another article about Staley that many here could have written:

The Chargers' owners, the Spanos family, are taking a huge gamble that scrutinized Brandon Staley can make a huge leap as a coach and make his team super.

Crap - I should have just posted this article. It's all there.

Can you imagine Mike Tomlin answering questions in the manner Staley did? He'd cut his arm off before making statements like that. I suspect that, even with Herbert, Staley may find it more difficult than expected to get a seasoned, qualified OC to come here.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                        Chargers Hall of Fame
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

As they both said, you don't really have time.
                        At least they have time for those orange slices.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

At least they have time for those orange slices.
                          His comment was interesting to me because of course they were at the NFL level.

I thought perhaps things where more .....safisticated, maybe..... than the levels I was at lol.

Not sure if that's the right word.

Comment

Working...
                          X