• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
    What did everyone think of Staley's presser conference today?

I will say one thing, anyone who doesnt like Popper is nuts, best journalist we have to cover Chargers and it is not remotely close. The ONLY guy who askes Staley good questions and hard qiestions.
    That Jeff Miller guy went pretty hard at him today too, stating that his defense is 20th in DVOA and underperforming by giving up big plays in rushing and elsewhere, and asking what he would do to change that. I didn't like Staley's answer there.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Are you talking about this? I thought it was good detailed answer.
      It was detailed yes... filled with typical Staley jargon about schematics and cool lingo like "explosions" trying to show us all how smart he is as usual in press conferences while never winning in the big games against top coaches and top teams.

Didnt sound to me like a high draft pick will be used on a talented bonafide deep threat to address the glaring lack of speed on this offence that everyone arond the NFL can see except the people who run this team.

"IF you can can get team speed thats a big advantage" ya think Brandon?? Then why dont you have any?

Apparently you can get your "explosions" handing the ball to a runng back

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

If this is his objective, how come he chose Lombo as OC?!? :shock::shock::shock:
        Two years ago, Staley a defensive coach, when asked about Justin Herbert, said he would have an offence that would run through Herbert and be designed around him to maximize his strengths. So he brought in Joe Lombardi and while Staley looked on, Joe gave us his unimaginative offence that turned the QB with arguably the most arm talent in the NFL into a modern day Alex Smith sporting the 31st ave pass yardage in the league.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Are you talking about this? I thought it was good detailed answer.
          Agree, MW and Palmer aren't slow. I don't think 4.53.is slow and MW was tied tjentops in tie league in 2022 with the most 40+ passes.
          The tape imo is what made our WRs not open as we run too many short routes, hooks, outs with nothing new such as slants and no creativity.

If defenders watch a lot of tape our tendencies won't be hard to see.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

It was detailed yes... filled with typical Staley jargon about schematics and cool lingo like "explosions" trying to show us all how smart he is as usual in press conferences while never winning in the big games against top coaches and top teams.

Didnt sound to me like a high draft pick will be used on a talented bonafide deep threat to address the glaring lack of speed on this offence that everyone arond the NFL can see except the people who run this team.

"IF you can can get team speed thats a big advantage" ya think Brandon?? Then why dont you have any?

I personally think he needs to hire a DC that calls the plays. Evero, Ryans, Glenn all got interviews. Renaldo Hill will never get an interview. And in todays NFL - the Chargers are not maximizing what the league is doing. Plus he is the head football coach - not Sr Defensive Coordinator

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

He tore his ACL????

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

I wouldn't be hanging my hat on criticizing the substance or details about what Staley says at the immediate season end presser.

It's a long ways to September and what happens between now and then, to heal up and build upon what happened last off season is what matters.

Every year, keeping up and getting ahead with the trends in the three phases is front and center.

Be forward thinking rather than have perfect answers right now.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I personally think he needs to hire a DC that calls the plays. Evero, Ryans, Glenn all got interviews. Renaldo Hill will never get an interview. And in todays NFL - the Chargers are not maximizing what the league is doing. Plus he is the head football coach - not Sr Defensive Coordinator
                  Agreed.
                  I think this would go a long way with his ability to manage the game better as a whole.
                  He doesn't seem to be interested, I have always maintained that calling the defense is "his thing" or what he's most passionate about.
                  we've all known that guy at the office who was promoted and while making some mistakes with new responsibilities, continues to latch on to old responsibilities like a warm fuzzy blanket.
                  If he fails next season (i.e. doesn't win at least one playoff game) he will likely be a career DC.
                  If I am Hill, I push to call plays or consider going somewhere else.
                  Darius "4.36" Davis
                  top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• BigBad
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

1. Getting speed is the GMs job. 2. A coach is never going to come out and say "Yep we are slower than shit!!!" That just insults the players you have. You have to answer diplomatically.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Reportedly his fourth choice
                      Lombardi should have been choice number 87

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

If this is his objective, how come he chose Lombo as OC?!? :shock::shock::shock:
                        Because he also liked the Sean Payton and Saints scheme also. Popper had a great write up about it when it first happened.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I think the problem is he’s trying to explain how it’s more complicated than just getting a speed guy, and it comes off as jargon to someone like you. But it makes sense to others what he’s trying to say.

Also draft mocks have a TE being drafted by us in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                          X