Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      I'd hate to see people leave the fold, but don't burn bridges.
      Not trying to burn bridges. I’ll just say my expectations have not been met and leave it at that. I don’t need a crystal ball to know how this will end.

Seacrest out.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
        Dea Spanos my HERO
        • Dec 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        If they are going to keep Staley as HC I'm out. The lack of 2nd half offense in the JAX meltdown was only half the story. The rest of the story is the defense falling apart - just like it did under Lynn when the Chargers built leads - and that is because of the team culture, which Staley has perpetuated instead of changing. A petulant Bosa slamming his helmet to the turf, drawing a foul, Staley picking it up, and Bosa slamming it down again. After earlier Bosa lined up offsides and negated a great defensive play that could've saved the game for the Chargers and then drawing a personal foul for mouthing off to a ref. The culture needs to change. These things do not happen to teams on teams that are well-coached and disciplined. It would not happen if Brian Daboll were coach.

I'm out. I can't stomach another season of Staley. I hope Herbert's career is not wasted.
        Watch this video (9 minutes long) - Scott Kaplan talks about Dea Spanos lawsuit against brother Dean Spanos. Good synopsis.

The initial lawsuit has evolved into arbitration with the NFL. If Dea Spanos prevails she will control 51% of team and I understand she will sell.

Keeps loose tabs on this because this could be HUGE for all Chargers fans. I am.

New details come out with the lawsuit involving DEA and the Los Angeles Chargers owner Dean SpanosIf DEA wins the lawsuit against DEAN SPANOS and his brother...

PS....Dean agreed in a letter to his sister Dea to "explore" selling the team's interest in the trust (36%) via an investment broker in 2024

PSS .... The trust (36%) is estimated to be worth $1 billion

Comment

• Chargerville
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

They can go ahead and fire Lombardi… without a doubt his offense and play calling has been a part of the problem. But what’s also been a problem (maybe even a BIGGER problem) has been the constant major breakdowns in Staley’s defense … two years in a row, so they need to fire Lombardi, fire Hill and take away the play calling from Staley and hire Vic Fangio to run the defense because Staley’s defense has been EQUALLY bad.

I’m like, you just concentrate on being the head coach.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Not trying to burn bridges. I’ll just say my expectations have not been met and leave it at that. I don’t need a crystal ball to know how this will end.

Seacrest out.
            That's fair. I just don't believe in Charger-kiri. Unfortunately, I sense there is a high level of apathy from the die-hards.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

....And if the citizens of Los Angeles follow our lead? I'm saying Dean has brought his bad choices to the second largest media market in the United States, and has not changed tacts one bit.

That will not fly.
              Does it matter?

So instead of 70% opposing fans in the stands, it will now be 90%?

Does it matter as long as seats and luxury boxes are being bought?

We fans have ZERO leverage in this situation, which adds to the frustration.

The NFL needs some sort of non-malfeasance clause to be able to intervene in situations like this. Like we are utterly hopeless here, somebody save us.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Does it matter?

So instead of 70% opposing fans in the stands, it will now be 90%?

Does it matter as long as seats and luxury boxes are being bought?

We fans have ZERO leverage in this situation, which adds to the frustration.

The NFL needs some sort of non-malfeasance clause to be able to intervene in situations like this. Like we are utterly hopeless here, somebody save us.
                The Chargers home schedule next year has several teams that travel very well. I expect the home team is going to be outnumbered like it was in the first year at the soccer stadium. Shame too because they were beginning to build an audience this year.

doesn’t matter to Dean tho. Tickets are tickets regardless of who’s buying

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  If they are going to keep Staley as HC I'm out. The lack of 2nd half offense in the JAX meltdown was only half the story. The rest of the story is the defense falling apart - just like it did under Lynn when the Chargers built leads - and that is because of the team culture, which Staley has perpetuated instead of changing. A petulant Bosa slamming his helmet to the turf, drawing a foul, Staley picking it up, and Bosa slamming it down again. After earlier Bosa lined up offsides and negated a great defensive play that could've saved the game for the Chargers and then drawing a personal foul for mouthing off to a ref. The culture needs to change. These things do not happen to teams on teams that are well-coached and disciplined. It would not happen if Brian Daboll were coach.

I'm out. I can't stomach another season of Staley. I hope Herbert's career is not wasted.
                  This franchise will break a good man

Comment

• SK21209
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2020
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Sign Up for Underdog Fantasy with Promocode "TFG" to get up to $100 matched on your Deposit! https://bit.ly/3vbmeUGWe discuss why the NFL's trend of using Vi...

This guy does a really good, in-depth breakdown of the problems with the Staley/Fangio split-safety defensive scheme. His basic theory is that while these types of defenses initially had success against naturally aggressive guys like Mahomes and Allen by forcing them to make 8 or 9 complicated reads per drive, they've since learned to make those reads more consistently and the soft coverage/light boxes give up too many easy yards in the aggregate. Fangio was able to pull it off because (1) it was new and (2) he had dominant pass rushers with the Niners, Bears and Broncos. QBs had very little time to figure out the extremely complex coverages.

The major Fangio disciples are Staley, Joe Barry (DC for the Packers), Ed Donatell (DC for the Vikings), Sean Desai (defensive assistant with the Seahawks) and Joe Woods (DC for the Browns). All of these defenses were disappointing to awful in 2022. In the first two weeks of the season I think our defense was working pretty well with Bosa and Mack healthy, but once Bosa went down our defense was easily picked apart even by shitty QBs until Staley essentially abandoned the scheme by simplifying coverages and having ASJ and Davis play more press.

For me, this answers the "why was our defense better without Bosa/Derwin" question. It had nothing to do with those guys, Staley was just forced to move away from his preferred system because it desperately needs a strong pass rush and versatile safeties to remain viable. I don't really want to continue playing defense this way, but as long as we're going to we need to bring in one or two viable edge rushers to spell Bosa and Mack. There is no magic defensive scheme that's better than the rest, there will always be trade offs and tailoring scheme to specific players is important.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quyQ-N_cYM

This guy does a really good, in-depth breakdown of the problems with the Staley/Fangio split-safety defensive scheme. His basic theory is that while these types of defenses initially had success against naturally aggressive guys like Mahomes and Allen by forcing them to make 8 or 9 complicated reads per drive, they've since learned to make those reads more consistently and the soft coverage/light boxes give up too many easy yards in the aggregate. Fangio was able to pull it off because (1) it was new and (2) he had dominant pass rushers with the Niners, Bears and Broncos. QBs had very little time to figure out the extremely complex coverages.

The major Fangio disciples are Staley, Joe Barry (DC for the Packers), Ed Donatell (DC for the Vikings), Sean Desai (defensive assistant with the Seahawks) and Joe Woods (DC for the Browns). All of these defenses were disappointing to awful in 2022. In the first two weeks of the season I think our defense was working pretty well with Bosa and Mack healthy, but once Bosa went down our defense was easily picked apart even by shitty QBs until Staley essentially abandoned the scheme by simplifying coverages and having ASJ and Davis play more press.

For me, this answers the "why was our defense better without Bosa/Derwin" question. It had nothing to do with those guys, Staley was just forced to move away from his preferred system because it desperately needs a strong pass rush and versatile safeties to remain viable. I don't really want to continue playing defense this way, but as long as we're going to we need to bring in one or two viable edge rushers to spell Bosa and Mack. There is no magic defensive scheme that's better than the rest, there will always be trade offs and tailoring scheme to specific players is important.
                      All the more reason to build around the offense as a team.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Daniel Jones has won a playoff game before Justin Herbert. Who would have believed that was possible a season ago?

The Spanoses must realize they made a huge mistake passing over Daboll for Staley. But they've decided to double down on that mistake and continue on with Staley and cross their fingers that a new offensive coordinator will change the team's fortunes.

Daboll changed the culture of the Giants in one season. Staley's Chargers look like Lynn's Chargers, McCoy's Chargers and Norv's Chargers, except those coaches managed to win at least one playoff game in their first two seasons.

Lynn had more wins than Staley in his first two seasons, in 32 games opposed to Staley's 34.

Staley is just a continuation of Norv, McCoy and Lynn. Nothing has changed except the nameplate on the office of the head coach.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Hang in V.
                          Parity.
                          Details.
                          It's close.

Dicker's solid kick was blown wide by a breeze.
                          Jags iffy kick snuck inside the upright.

Lawrence extends and gets the conversion.
                          Huntley extends, fumbles w/ recovery and 99 yard TD return and it costs BAL the game.
                          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X