• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

What models of success is he drawing from? John Carrol U.? Vic Fangio's crappy Denver team? Da Chicago Bears under Matt Nagy?

Young Staley will again be throwing darts blindly at the board next year;
    Again, as Cowherd said, we have no identity. Well that's not true, we can't finish nor are we tough.

Reminds me of the teams we had before Marty came. Granted we are more talented these days, but it was the same sort of problem back then. Soft. Can't finish.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not going to watch but I am not sure why Daboll wasn't the pick but it was slam dunk no brainer
      I may be wrong but it was failing to make the playoffs. We were there wanting to fill the HC position. Bills were still in the playoffs moving to 2nd round. If I remember he stated that he wasn't going to address open HC offers until after the playoffs. Staley was hired exactly 2 years ago today. Why didn't the Chargers brass wait? Staley was a hot name just like Daboll. Chargers played their hand way to early IMO.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Understood lightsout42.
        I see the leadership qualities we need.
        Bosa threw his helmet on the football field in front of Staley,
        Staley picked it up and gave it to Bosa, and Bosa slammed it into the ground again to get the penalty.

Would Bosa do that in front of Belichick?

Team melted down in crunch time in every big game against a quality opponent this year.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

What models of success is he drawing from? John Carrol U.? Vic Fangio's crappy Denver team? Da Chicago Bears under Matt Nagy?

Young Staley will again be throwing darts blindly at the board next year;

Darts blindly? Show me an example of this? TT is the shot caller BTW. Staley had his input. Zion? Salyer? Slater? I wouldn't call that throwing darts. Those are excellent picks. Maybe I am mis understanding your comment IDK.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I may be wrong but it was failing to make the playoffs. We were there wanting to fill the HC position. Bills were still in the playoffs moving to 2nd round. If I remember he stated that he wasn't going to address open HC offers until after the playoffs. Staley was hired exactly 2 years ago today. Why didn't the Chargers brass wait? Staley was a hot name just like Daboll. Chargers played their hand way to all early IMO.
            We all saw Staley in his early press conferences. He was impressive until we discovered that he was a fraud. I’m sure he wowed them in his interview. They got snowed without taking a step back and thinking about what the franchise called for in a HC with a young franchise QB. They were also probably thinking about how they’d hired offensive guys in the 3 previous tries

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              Question for any remaining Staley supporters:

Outside of the continuity argument - how does he make this a better football team?

Anyone?
              I used to be a Staley supporter, and acknowledge that he's done some good things, but . . . . DAMN:killme:

And no - he does not make this team better ATM. I'm pretty sure any number long time TPB posters could have managed to finish Saturdays game with a win. I guess that, if he's going to stay, all we can hope for is a better staff, better players, and MAJOR improvement on the part of BS as a head coach.

Not too much to ask for . . . . .

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

That's not much of an answer.

What is their identity on the football field under Staley after two years?
                hint: its not a line of scrimmage team.

I'm not advocating firing Staley, but how is this touchy- feely relationship going to lead to proper adjustments as the game goes on?

Staley is who he is....and promising growth and better days ahead is delaying the inevitable (another young head coach fired in his 4rth year).
                If this was his 4rth year, he'd be fired today ..... no question.

Staley will have wasted perhaps the best opportunity in almost 20 years.
                And because of it, he will be ranked well below McCoy or Lynn when he leaves.
                Did Herbert sail that crucial TD pass to Keenan because we "don't have an identity" or because "there is a Chargering curse" or was it because our great young QB simply did not make an easy play that we really needed to happen ?

We made a commitment to a course of action. Now stick to it.

The best answer is not in an essay from a wordsmith, it is in the utter platitude that "the answer is simple, but not easy."

Frankly we are not good enough...yet.

And having supremely talented, and/or well coached teams hasn't gotten it done for us anyway.

Work hard. Become smarter. Get better. More consistently.
                Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Shane Steichen HC
                  Pep Hamilton OC
                  Vick Fangio DC

I really want to move on from Staley. IMO, the only way they are going get rid of the stench of the melt-down in Jax is to clean house. Steichen/Hamilton are familiar with and had great success with Herbert. Fangio will get a defense ready-made for his philosophy and he'll be reunited with Mack. Overlooked in Daboll's success this season is the fact is that he was able to get a very good DC in Martindale. The GMen defense's resurgence has been key to getting the team to the playoffs, and Martindale gets a lot of credit for that. It would be very important to pair Steichen with a really good DC.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Shane Steichen HC
                    Pep Hamilton OC
                    Vick Fangio DC

I really want to move on from Staley. IMO, the only way they are going get rid of the stench of the melt-down in Jax is to clean house. Steichen/Hamilton are familiar with and had great success with Herbert. Fangio will get a defense ready-made for his philosophy and he'll be reunited with Mack. Overlooked in Daboll's success this season is the fact is that he was able to get a very good DC in Martindale. The GMen defense's resurgence has been key to getting the team to the playoffs, and Martindale gets a lot of credit for that. It would be very important to pair Steichen with a really good DC.
                    I could live with that

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Shane Steichen HC
                      Pep Hamilton OC
                      Vick Fangio DC

I want someone with proven track record of winning at HC. Steichen won't cut for me. Enough with the experimenting.

Fangio at DC would work though.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Darts blindly? Show me an example of this? TT is the shot caller BTW. Staley had his input. Zion? Salyer? Slater? I wouldn't call that throwing darts. Those are excellent picks. Maybe I am mis understanding your comment IDK.
                        I suppose it refers to every aspect of his organizational responsibilities as a head coach: from player development, overseeing game plans, overseeing position coaches, choosing staff, coordinating the staff, choosing the roster and who starts, making in game adjustments whom to play, etc....
                        I'm not going to involve myself in the debate as to his input in the draft and free agency: its probably no different than any head coach here.

Throwing darts blindly last Saturday as in game time management decisions, and failing again to adjust to changing circumstances.
                        What wealth of experience and positive models does he have to draw from? His one year with Sean McVey might be it.

They looked great the first 25 minutes, and then they hit a wall.
                        That is what you would expect if you have Jeff Saturday as your head coach.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                          I want someone with proven track record of winning at HC.
                          That's going to be hard to find. But I definitely understand why this is your preference; it would be my preference too if there were good candidates. Too bad JAX hired Pederson; he would've been great for Herbert.

Comment

Working...
                          X