Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Staley relies on analytics, right?

I wonder if anyone ran the odds that no starters would be injured if he played them for 3 quarters in Denver?

Considering the rate per game Chargers we’re injured this season I would guess the odds were slim and none.
    You have to think the players that are extra injury prone like Williams should have warranted a cautious approach.

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. sends warning to Chargers' coach Brandon Staley sure LOSE his job

He's an idiot and a pot stirer simply because HE thinks he's smart and important. He could go on ESPN and tell the world that I deserve to be a billionaire and I'd come up with 50 reasons why I shouldn't... That's the level of respect I have for him.

Comment

• jox g
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The AFC offensive player of the week was the Jeudy - the Denver receiver that torched us the most. They averaged over 20 yards per completion. you are equally in denial and there’s no need to manipulate stats to fit your narrative - they are what they are. We lost games rushing for less and we won about the same number of games rushing for less.

I’d like to see less rush yards. The 4 games before the Denver game we did much better vs the rush. Hopefully Denver was a weird aberration and they will return to their recent improving trend. That we don’t want a repeat of Jag Game 1 is a maxim that can be applied to every unit on the team, pretty much. Except maybe ST, I don’t remember ST from that game it was such a bad game overall so will defer to our experts.
        We didnt play Callahan either. He would have helped. Mindset playing "meaningless game" =different

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

We didnt play Callahan either. He would have helped. Mindset playing "meaningless game" =different
          Latavius was only 3.83 ypc before pulling Murray (our LB) out

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

He's an idiot and a pot stirer simply because HE thinks he's smart and important. He could go on ESPN and tell the world that I deserve to be a billionaire and I'd come up with 50 reasons why I shouldn't... That's the level of respect I have for him.
            The Chargers can silence all the chatter if they just come out in this game and dominate like Staley has been saying what his team is about for the last 2 seasons! IF the players really do believe in this HC they will come out and do just that! If they come out and give up big plays, and our Oline play like JR. College players and get beat by a less talented team and we can't run the ball, stick a fork in it, this HC has lost his team and this off season has some potential GREAT HC's on the market to risk 3 losing seasons in a row! Lets say we lose big and retain Staley and next season is more of the same, well I doubt the potential for the HC's that are on the market this season will be there next year! The best move would be to get one of the prime time HC's now! However lets not get ahead of ourselves. Nothing wrong for the HC and players to understand that this coach is coaching for his job going into game 1, it could motivate them to win! You really gotta wonder if Staley has lost his star WR based on what went down last week? We soon shall see, that is if he plays?

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
              I agree with Stephen A this morning in first take. If Staley loses to the Jags he deserves to be fired
              Steven A started off by listing all the stars on the team: Mack, Herbert, Bosa, James, ......

The national news media, for some reason, feels that this squad is one of the most talented in football.... go figure!

Some here would set them straight.

Comment

• jox g
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

The Chargers can silence all the chatter if they just come out in this game and dominate like Staley has been saying what his team is about for the last 2 seasons! IF the players really do believe in this HC they will come out and do just that! If they come out and give up big plays, and our Oline play like JR. College players and get beat by a less talented team and we can't run the ball, stick a fork in it, this HC has lost his team and this off season has some potential GREAT HC's on the market to risk 3 losing seasons in a row! Lets say we lose big and retain Staley and next season is more of the same, well I doubt the potential for the HC's that are on the market this season will be there next year! The best move would be to get one of the prime time HC's now! However lets not get ahead of ourselves. Nothing wrong for the HC and players to understand that this coach is coaching for his job going into game 1, it could motivate them to win! You really gotta wonder if Staley has lost his star WR based on what went down last week? We soon shall see, that is if he plays?
                Corey Linsley+ Parham (not there game 3) + Josh Palmer = One Big Mike Dub!!! .... LOL

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Corey Linsley+ Parham (not there game 3) + Josh Palmer = One Big Mike Dub!!! .... LOL
                  Yes sir! Plus we have game tape on the first game so we are on the cusp of our first playoff win if all goes well! As of right now with just MW day to day I love our chances! Time for the Chargers to ball out and show the world what we are all about! I can't wait until Saturday night!!!!!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Actually it would have been an extremely easy decision not to leave starters in until the 4th quarter.

And a decision that was universally echoed on every single talk show with ex players and coaches.
                    Yeah well many teams lose after that bye week and resting players as well. And those that don't rest their players keep moving along. May get rested and then get hurt in the playoffs. Mahomes got concussed and they lost.

There's no easy answer. Just fans who think they know the answer. And those guys who don't coach on those talk shows.

It's a talk show,. ......that's why they say that shit. Same guys that probably said Herbert shouldn't have played thru his rib injury.

I don't know the status of MW and Murray but if they play, all that gab was for nothing.

Comment

• Gigantor
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Tom Krasovic on Staley playing starters vs. Broncos (San Diego Union-Trib Jan 10)
                      Not moronic

It’s perfectly fair to contend Staley should have removed Herbert and several other key frontline players from Sunday’s season finale after just one or two series, given the implications of a serious injury.

After all, the final score had no bearing on the Chargers’ playoff seeding. So why not use only the first quarter as a brief tuneup for several players? Or hold them out altogether? We’ve seen Reid and other Super Bowl-winning coaches take those routes (though not always).

It’s important to bear in mind, however, that while the game’s outcome was meaningless, the game itself offered value in preparation.

Start with Denver’s crowd that exceeded 74,000 fans. Their noise, amid an NFL competition that can’t be replicated in practice, enabled Staley’s offense to maintain or improve its aptitude in communication and timing, the No. 1 challenge a road team faces. In that his team was playing just its second road game in five weeks and that its previous road test was against the hapless Colts, whose fans saw their offense couldn’t compete, it made sense that Staley would want to sharpen his offense’s noise-management skills Sunday.

The Jacksonville crowd figures to be similarly loud and opportunistic. Also: the Chargers likely would encounter similar challenges later this month, should they advance to play one or two additional playoff games.

Staley no doubt took into account that Denver’s chilly weather (43 degrees at kickoff) may compare with the conditions his team would encounter in Buffalo, Cincinnati or Kansas City. Particularly on offense, it’s beneficial preparation to compete in such conditions.

In his postgame comments, of course, Staley didn’t mention cold weather. Why give the Jags the sense you’re looking past them?

Staley had to weigh both the injury risk and the wear and tear of Sunday’s game, against the preparation value of deploying his players as long as he did.

Certainly he considered the season’s workloads of every player and both the individual and collective sharpness — or dullness — they’d exhibited lately.

As noted a few weeks ago, most of his players’ individual snap counts this season were relatively light, with almost every player ranking well below 10th at his position in snaps. Herbert was the highest-ranked exception, standing second in snaps played. But the 24-year-old Herbert, a 6-foot-6, 245-pounder who is one of only three franchise QBs to be available to his team for every start the past three years, seemed to ward off fatigue. Herbert’s primary receivers, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, were well below 20th in snaps played. The line’s leader, center Corey Linsley, whose savvy is crucial to the offense’s recognition and communication efforts, also ranked well below 10th, owing to his injury detours.

If you put stock in Staley’s postgame comments to reporters, they weren’t persuasive. Certainly in his public interviews Staley has annoyed NFL observers, including former longtime NFL GM and Chargers executive Randy Mueller, who last month reiterated his stated view, in The Athletic’s NFL podcast, that Stately can come off as entitled.

But, in exploiting an environment whose noise, weather and competitive nuances largely can’t be simulated in practice — all paired with the unique demands of an actual NFL game — he made defensible decisions in player usage. This wasn’t a foolish machismo.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yes sir! Plus we have game tape on the first game so we are on the cusp of our first playoff win if all goes well! As of right now with just MW day to day I love our chances! Time for the Chargers to ball out and show the world what we are all about! I can't wait until Saturday night!!!!!!!
                        Yeah baby! Watching that first game will be such an advantage for our coaches like Lombo who always watch the first half, make adjustments, and dominate the third quarter!!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The AFC offensive player of the week was the Jeudy - the Denver receiver that torched us the most. They averaged over 20 yards per completion. you are equally in denial and there’s no need to manipulate stats to fit your narrative - they are what they are. We lost games rushing for less and we won about the same number of games rushing for less.

I’d like to see less rush yards. The 4 games before the Denver game we did much better vs the rush. Hopefully Denver was a weird aberration and they will return to their recent improving trend. That we don’t want a repeat of Jag Game 1 is a maxim that can be applied to every unit on the team, pretty much. Except maybe ST, I don’t remember ST from that game it was such a bad game overall so will defer to our experts.
                          Who cares about the AFC Offensive Player of the Week? Denver had 266 passing yards and 205 on the ground. If you look at those stats and say, "We need to stop the passing game. That's our biggest problem." then I don't think you have a good understanding of what's really going on.

And the previous four games weren't "much better" against the run. That's like saying the migraines I'm suffering from this week are much worse than the regular headaches I had in previous weeks. In other words, it was still an issue. The Titans ran for 127 yards on 27 carries, with Derrick Henry averaging 5. The Dolphins ran for 92 on only 19 carries, with Jeff Wilson averaging 6.5 before getting injured. The Colts ran for 69 on only 14 carries, with Zack Moss averaging 5.4. The Rams ran for 166 on 26, with Cam Akers averaging 6.5.

"Oh, but we won those games," is probably your response. Yeah, that's great, but our inability to stop the run is the biggest reason why we're 10-7 instead of 13-4 or 14-3. You take away the run against the 49ers, Seahawks, Raiders, and Broncos, we win at least three out of four of those games convincingly (San Francisco's defense could have won the game against us.)

Comment

Working...
                          X