• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Rex Ryan really dislikes Brandon Staley, going back to last season he's been one of Staley's biggest critics. But in this vid he complements Staley effusively for out-coaching Mike McDaniel. I've generally regarded Ryan as a gelatinous barrel of hot air, but his honesty here is making me re-evaluate that opinion.

In other words, when he says something you like he’s great, otherwise a chump

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      Colin Cowherd not sold on Staley but sold on Herbert. Still says get him a great offensive minded coach.
      I saw that clip. I thought overall it was a good take on Herbert and the silly Tua thing. I usually find his takes reasonable, better than many.

I have to confess i have been saying the same thing. Herbert is special. I want to see his ceiling with a top notch OC. One good win doesnt convince me the Chargers have that in Lombardi.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

In other words, when he says something you like he’s great, otherwise a chump
        I was going to warn him that even a drunk stupid foot-fetish-inflicted squirrel will occasionally fall out of a tree and land on an acorn by accident
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It was a very well-coached game by Staley, especially without Derwin James.

But up there with Belichick's gameplans against the Bills in Super Bowl XXV and the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI? Uh, no. The Dolphins ran the ball 19 times against us. That's not how you get it done against Staley's defense. Perhaps they would have run it more if Jeff Wilson hadn't gotten injured, since he was averaging 6.5 a carry. Who knows? They're a pass-happy offense. It seems as though we're getting reminded that Tua is a very limited quarterback who should never be mentioned in the same class as Herbert.

Either way it was excellent to watch that last night, after a handful of frustrating weeks. Hopefully it continues.
          If this game had been a superbowl it would be rated right up there with any other. The only difference is this game wasn't a superbowl. Dolphins had the #1 passing offense & highest rated QB & Staley held them to 10 total completions & about 50 yards for the entire football game. He wrote the blueprint and that miami offense will never be the same. It's the same thing Belichik did to McVeigh & Goff in that '18 superbowl. That offense never recovered from that beatdown & blueprint. Neither Belichik nor Staley used a complex gameplan, it was just different. Different than what anyone else had done & different than what was expected. McVeighs wide zone never operated the same after that he had to virtually remake the offense. I imagine Miami will have to do something similar - what they've been doing isn't gonna work the way it's been working most of the season because it's a copycat league.

I kinda wonder if old man Fangio had anything to do with that defensive scheme. I read an article last week he's been sitting home still and has turned his kitchen into his lab with multiple screens. He watches and studies every game every week. I wonder if Staley gave him a call. Who knows?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

If this game had been a superbowl it would be rated right up there with any other. The only difference is this game wasn't a superbowl. Dolphins had the #1 passing offense & highest rated QB & Staley held them to 10 total completions & about 50 yards for the entire football game. He wrote the blueprint and that miami offense will never be the same. It's the same thing Belichik did to McVeigh & Goff in that '18 superbowl. That offense never recovered from that beatdown & blueprint. Neither Belichik nor Staley used a complex gameplan, it was just different. Different than what anyone else had done & different than what was expected. McVeighs wide zone never operated the same after that he had to virtually remake the offense. I imagine Miami will have to do something similar - what they've been doing isn't gonna work the way it's been working most of the season because it's a copycat league.

I kinda wonder if old man Fangio had anything to do with that defensive scheme. I read an article last week he's been sitting home still and has turned his kitchen into his lab with multiple screens. He watches and studies every game every week. I wonder if Staley gave him a call. Who knows?
            The 49ers set the blueprint. Tua was exposed last week. We improved upon that.

Tua is nothing special.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Tua is nothing special.
              My assessment before the draft. Nothing special except top WR group, top 5 OL and top 5 Defense in all NCAA.

Comment

• TTThunder
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I have to confess i have been saying the same thing. Herbert is special. I want to see his ceiling with a top notch OC. One good win doesnt convince me the Chargers have that in Lombardi.
                1. Herbert is special.

I started to think about that after learning that he started game 2 against KS and play excellent (yes, he made some mistakes but considering that he was told to go in a few minutes before the game started and hardly ever play with our starters, that performance was beyond anybody's wildest expectations, maybe even Herbert himself!!!).

I was sure he is special after hearing many of his interviews and always got one point - he wants to improve!

2. I want to see his ceiling with a top notch OC.

This!!!

(I am sure this is one of the reasons Payton wants to coach here...)

3. One good win doesnt convince me the Chargers have that in Lombardi.

(Not a football expert, but I think) our current OC is so far from the word 'top notch'.

4. Knowing our owner budget limitation, I don't think Payton or top notch OC is feasible...

I will settle for an innovative, aggressive, maximizing players talent, up and coming OC.

(I think our current OC does not possess any quality above...)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

1. Herbert is special.

I started to think about that after learning that he started game 2 against KS and play excellent (yes, he made some mistakes but considering that he was told to go in a few minutes before the game started and hardly ever play with our starters, that performance was beyond anybody's wildest expectations, maybe even Herbert himself!!!).

I was sure he is special after hearing many of his interviews and always got one point - he wants to improve!

2. I want to see his ceiling with a top notch OC.

This!!!

(I am sure this is one of the reasons Payton wants to coach here...)

3. One good win doesnt convince me the Chargers have that in Lombardi.

(Not a football expert, but I think) our current OC is so far from the word 'top notch'.

4. Knowing our owner budget limitation, I don't think Payton or top notch OC is feasible...

I will settle for an innovative, aggressive, maximizing players talent, up and coming OC.

(I think our current OC does not possess any quality above...)

Go Bolts!!!
                  If we make the playoffs, I expect no changes to the coaching staff.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

If Chargers get players back, make playoffs, heck deeper run than most expect, Lombardi will walk into another situation without being fired. :umno:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

If they make the playoffs, maybe the calls for firings are misplaced.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Tua is nothing special.
                        According to Coach Staley, the game plan used by the Bolts was totally different than SF. And he seemed indignant that it was even mentioned that he replicated what Shanahan did.

McDaniels called a bad game. He should have just run the ball but instead played into our hands. And if all Staley had to do was slightly simplify things and not substitute so much and play more physical press, why the heck did he wait until now with a bunch of 4th stringers?

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If we make the playoffs, I expect no changes to the coaching staff.
                          Yes but if we don’t I was hearing a podcast that claims to have sources saying missing the playoffs could result in keeping Staley and making him change to more experienced coordinators. My question is what the fuck would they do that for. Missing playoffs two years with Herbert should mean you’re fired. What is Staley even bringing to the table at that point if you’re forcing him to change coordinators.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X