• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

You're acting like you're one of Norv Turner's kids.

Norv was coaching the players Marty developed. Norv was a two-time failure as a head coach before that, in Washington and Oakland, and failed again once Marty's players got old, stopped improving, or moved on.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Marty's when he was coaching us, because of his postseason record, but I knew right away that Nrov was a huge downgrade. It hasn't gotten better since, and I'm longing for the coaching job Marty did. In hindsight his postseason record would have been a lot better if he had better quarterbacks than Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, and Steve Bono in Kansas City (he did make an AFC Championship game with an old Joe Montana) and didn't run into as much bad luck, such as Earnest Byner's fumble and Marlon McCree's mistake.

Other than Norv's family members I don't know anyone else but you who would make the argument that Norv was a better head coach than Marty.
    The guy couldn't even win with Mark Vlasic in the playoffs ....... give it a rest.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      Okay. I give up. You all win.

The Marty dick riding club seems to be the most popular bandwagon around here.

But what a sorry ass franchise that a three time fired coach is who they wish was back leading the team.
      i have barely followed the Marty talk on this thread, but you are nuts if you think that Marty did not prove himself as a solid coach. he won in cleveland, KC and SD. i just looked this up, he went to the playoffs 5 straight years in cleveland, 6+ straight years in KC, and took the chargers to the playoffs in 2004 and 2006 - their first playoffs since 1995. he also went to at least 3 AFC championship games (2 in cleveland, 1 in KC). besides andy reid and bill belichick, what other coaches today have a resume like that???

For the record, I think Marty got too strung up in playoff games and did not coach well in the playoffs, but there is no denying that he was a great coach. Andy Reid and Sean Payton have one super bowl each and are SUPERIOR coaches. it is difficult as hell to win in the playoffs for any team/coach. however, if you don't make it to the playoffs, then you have no shot at success.

Comment

• Florida fan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Marty was the best coach Chargers have had. No one has come close. Hewould have won a super Bowl if we had a kicker like the Patriot had. I also remember in PO when Brady was intercepted and chargers play just need to go down. Not try to advance the ball.
        AJ should have been fired not Marty.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Lmao Marty wasnt perfect but neither was any HC we've ever had. Bobby Ross was before my time but why didnt he ever get another HC spot in the NFL?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

That’s not true. Norv took the team deeper into the playoffs than Marty did and only lost to Patriots because LT couldn’t play and Rivers was playing on one leg.

Marty lost with a 100% healthy QB and RB

The Marty myths are ridiculous. He was fired by the Redskins because he lost the locker room and his whole career could never win in the playoffs.
            Lol, Norvs team was inherited.....from Marty.

And who cares why Norv lost. He lost!
            3 Missed FGs did Marty in.

Marty was with the Redskins 1 season.. Doubt he lost the locker room. Always love seeing that when fans have no idea about it.

Are you seriously a fan of Norv Turner? He was a horrible HC and was also fired 3 times lol.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Ontario , Canada
              • Send PM

Marty's record was always debated heavily on the old UT boards when he was HC I recall. Just to add, his playoff record did have many disclaimers. 4 of his teams and losses were w wild card teams playing on the road.

He really had scrubs for QB too Steve Deberg, David Kreig, an old Joe Montana, Sonny Bono lol. Brian Sipe etc in CLE.

He could develop players too, maybe the best we have ever had. He found Antonio Gates (more a bball player),Kris Dielman (a DL) and Shane Olivea (late rounder) here. In CLE, he turned low rnders like Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield into probowlers. Pretty impressive.

Interestingly was his teams sure had IND and Peyton Manning's number (under Polian and Telesco) and we beat them regularly. He had his teams ready to play and we had many other impressive road wins. I know later w Norv adn Rivers you used to dread watching them on the road.

Comment

• Rambler
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • No Cal
                • Civil Research Attorney
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                Lmao Marty wasnt perfect but neither was any HC we've ever had. Bobby Ross was before my time but why didnt he ever get another HC spot in the NFL?
                He did, with Detroit. I think he made the playoffs twice there as a wildcard, although barely squeaking in, and losing each time. But, like with the Chargers, he was an improvement from the norm.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                  He was hired as head coach of the Lions right after his Charger gig. Took the Lions to the playoffs once or twice.
                  Quit in midseason with a winning record because he no longer liked the atmosphere in Detroit.

Bobby Ross came in saying that he was a nuts and bolts type guy, focusing on the little things: meaning the simple basics.

I don't think that is Staley in the least.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    Every time I see Tillery make a play for the Raiders I put another nail in Staley’s coffin.
                    but it was also his nimwit penalty that gave the Rams a first down and a chance on the last drive. and it was as dumb a penalty as the flag-kicking penalty of VJ, or the head butt from Florence. Play was over and the flag was thrown.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I find it hard to believe a head coach who took the one team he had in the NFL to three conference championship games and one Super Bowl in only four years wouldn't want another crack at it.
                      Just this year, after not getting the Vikings job, he said that's it for him with the NFL. He said he's staying with Michigan.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Just this year, after not getting the Vikings job, he said that's it for him with the NFL. He said he's staying with Michigan.
                        I don't care. He wouldn't be the first coach to change his mind or flat-out lie.
                        Nick Saban again adamantly denied that he's headed back to the college ranks, denouncing rumors that he is interested in the Alabama coaching job.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He was hired as head coach of the Lions right after his Charger gig. Took the Lions to the playoffs once or twice.
                          Quit in midseason with a winning record because he no longer liked the atmosphere in Detroit.

Bobby Ross came in saying that he was a nuts and bolts type guy, focusing on the little things: meaning the simple basics.

I don't think that is Staley in the least.
                          I don't think so, either. And I think this team NEEDS a 'nuts and bolts' type. Because arguably the two most successful coaches this team has ever had - Schotty and Ross - operated on those principles. Let's start with good, sound, fundamental football. No need for fancy analytics, just start win the one-on-one battles and everything else works better after that. Hell, the only thing that Staley "contributed" to the team was going for it on 4th down. A trick he tried far too often, and with limited success.

Comment

Working...
                          X