• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

That’s not true. Norv took the team deeper into the playoffs than Marty did and only lost to Patriots because LT couldn’t play and Rivers was playing on one leg.

Marty lost with a 100% healthy QB and RB

The Marty myths are ridiculous. He was fired by the Redskins because he lost the locker room and his whole career could never win in the playoffs.
    Strange that Schottenheimer 'lost' the locker room and that Washington team went 8 - 3 the final 11 games.
    He benched the multi-million dollar contract of Jeff George: that was losing the locker room and getting the heave - ho.

For the most part, Schottenheimer lost sending the Mike Pagels of the world out there against Dan Marino, or Steve Bono against John Elway.
    Would have been nice if Kaeding could have made that 40 yard field goal in the clutch,
    or that Marlon McCree didn't have a brain fart.

I remember Rivers getting a foot injury the last week against the Cardinals in 2006 .... something about not having an arch.
    I read from one source that Rivers and Merriman would not have been available the next week against the Colts, if they got past New England.
    Last edited by powderblueboy; 12-08-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Did Butler build it for Marty at CLE and KC too? Marty teams won games. Have you accounted for some of the QBs he won with, btw? He had winning teams with some incredibly average QBs.
      Gates/Dielman wouldn't be on those teams if not for Schottenheimer and staff.
      Gates went around to all 32 teams; Gruden talked about turning him down.

I remember scouts going up to Schottenheimer and showing him video of Vincent Jackson, asking Marty to guess the guys height and weight.
      I don't believe in the least that Marty wasn't involved in those 'Butler/Smith' drafts.

Smith just blames Schottenheimer for the bad choices, as if he only influenced those.
      Marty was the head coach of the south in the 2004 Senior Bowl.
      He had a lot of input in that draft.

Good talent seemed to follow him at every stop. All those teams lost before he came and soon reverted to losing after he left. Weird!
      Cleveland's decision to fire him was bizarre, in retrospect:
      5 seasons, two AFC title games, a winning record his last year.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Gates/Dielman wouldn't be on those teams if not for Schottenheimer and staff.
        Gates went around to all 32 teams; Gruden talked about turning him down.

I remember scouts going up to Schottenheimer and showing him video of Vincent Jackson, asking Marty to guess the guys height and weight.
        I don't believe in the least that Marty wasn't involved in those 'Butler/Smith' drafts.

Smith just blames Schottenheimer for the bad choices, as if he only influenced those.
        Marty was the head coach of the south in the 2004 Senior Bowl.
        He had a lot of input in that draft.

Good talent seemed to follow him at every stop. All those teams lost before he came and soon reverted to losing after he left. Weird!
        Cleveland's decision to fire him was bizarre, in retrospect:
        5 seasons, two AFC title games, a winning record his last year.
        It was a fantastic coaching job by Schottenheimer that got Washington to 8-8 when he was there.

Butler's first signing at Chargers was...Marcellus Wiley.
        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

I remember Marty going up to Jeff George, after one of those early losses in Washington, and asking him if there was anything he could have done better.
          George, in his characteristic apathetic manner, said no.

Marty benched him the following week

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Okay. I give up. You all win.

The Marty dick riding club seems to be the most popular bandwagon around here.

But what a sorry ass franchise that a three time fired coach is who they wish was back leading the team.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Compared to what followed?Yeah lol sign me up on the Marty bandwagon.
              :LOL:

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

But what a sorry ass franchise that a three time fired coach is who they wish was back leading the team.
                Wrong again.

Marty was fired 4 times: Cleveland, KC, Washington, SD.

High ho silver!!

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Every time I see Tillery make a play for the Raiders I put another nail in Staley’s coffin.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

It's not like we have a list of great coaches in our history. Marty was a good one, just didn't have a good playoff record.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

That’s not true. Norv took the team deeper into the playoffs than Marty did and only lost to Patriots because LT couldn’t play and Rivers was playing on one leg.

Marty lost with a 100% healthy QB and RB

The Marty myths are ridiculous. He was fired by the Redskins because he lost the locker room and his whole career could never win in the playoffs.
                      You're acting like you're one of Norv Turner's kids.

Norv was coaching the players Marty developed. Norv was a two-time failure as a head coach before that, in Washington and Oakland, and failed again once Marty's players got old, stopped improving, or moved on.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Marty's when he was coaching us, because of his postseason record, but I knew right away that Nrov was a huge downgrade. It hasn't gotten better since, and I'm longing for the coaching job Marty did. In hindsight his postseason record would have been a lot better if he had better quarterbacks than Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, and Steve Bono in Kansas City (he did make an AFC Championship game with an old Joe Montana) and didn't run into as much bad luck, such as Earnest Byner's fumble and Marlon McCree's mistake.

Other than Norv's family members I don't know anyone else but you who would make the argument that Norv was a better head coach than Marty.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Harbaugh is just now entering his golden reign of unquestioned supremacy at UM, finally vanquished the Ghost of Ohio, winning the Big 10, and getting to the playoffs twice in a row. i see no chance he leaves personally. He’ll make more money there, have more control, and likely be a bigger name. Its quite possible he’s better suited to lead college men than pro athletes as well.
                        I find it hard to believe a head coach who took the one team he had in the NFL to three conference championship games and one Super Bowl in only four years wouldn't want another crack at it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          Every time I see Tillery make a play for the Raiders I put another nail in Staley’s coffin.
                          Tillery is looking like a decent functional DT on the Turds when he's not doing something that screams 'fuck you, waive me'.

Staley is putting together a bit of a list of guys who are better served on other teams, and who do not thrive under his system.

Comment

Working...
                          X