• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

Build depth through FA seems to be TTs plan. Grab a few starters if the need or price is right but i think history shows very few blockbuster signings move the needle like Manning did (it pains me saying that but That was huge foe the Donks). Suh will NEVER live up to $60m guaranteed over 3 years...the guy is a stomp away from suspension for goodness sakes!

Im fine with TTs approach so far. Yes we let a few second tier guys go but he had a clear value set that he was willing to pay...no stupid money spent and im 100% behind that. He is finding players to replace them with arguably more upside and cheaper contracts. I will take that as it sets us up long term better.

I expect we may see a solid vet OL type or two to still be signed. Def a higher round draftee in top three rounds to the OL. Let them battle it out and we may find anither Dunlop on our hands to solidify the center or guard spot.

I will wait to judge once we get to starting day with whom is on our roster. So far im ok with the strategy and execution.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
      Build depth through FA seems to be TTs plan. Grab a few starters if the need or price is right but i think history shows very few blockbuster signings move the needle like Manning did (it pains me saying that but That was huge foe the Donks). Suh will NEVER live up to $60m guaranteed over 3 years...the guy is a stomp away from suspension for goodness sakes!

Im fine with TTs approach so far. Yes we let a few second tier guys go but he had a clear value set that he was willing to pay...no stupid money spent and im 100% behind that. He is finding players to replace them with arguably more upside and cheaper contracts. I will take that as it sets us up long term better.

I expect we may see a solid vet OL type or two to still be signed. Def a higher round draftee in top three rounds to the OL. Let them battle it out and we may find anither Dunlop on our hands to solidify the center or guard spot.

I will wait to judge once we get to starting day with whom is on our roster. So far im ok with the strategy and execution.
      I was hoping to get Barksdale so we could move Fluker inside......he's still out there and only 26, I think he overvalued himself
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
        Need 1 to 2 more OL. Not sold on Porkchops, and not sold on Watt.
        This. I would feel way better about the OL and team as a whole if we just had another quality veteran OL brought in.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          This. I would feel way better about the OL and team as a whole if we just had another quality veteran OL brought in.
          Agreed.

I'd also like to see a DL.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            Agreed.

I'd also like to see a DL.
            Yeah, but then I see all these mocks with us taking RB/WR in the first two rounds and I'm thinking if we go to battle with our current defensive front 7 we're gonna get rolled.

I get RB in the first...but we really need some DL/OLB help.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              Yeah, but then I see all these mocks with us taking RB/WR in the first two rounds and I'm thinking if we go to battle with our current defensive front 7 we're gonna get rolled.

I get RB in the first...but we really need some DL/OLB help.
              +1
              We have to take the best defender( whether that be DL or LB) we can.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Who did we lose on defense this year that makes us worse than last year? We gave up 21 points a game over the last 2 years. Which is actually pretty good compared to everyone else. We obviously need help on defense but we only scored 21 points a game on offense last year and 24 a game in 2013. 21 a game in 2012. To deny that offense is equally in need of help is shocking to me.

Also since when is the 1st round the only round to get front 7 help? You can find great players in the 2nd, 3rd rounds etc. Its a deep draft for pass rushers. I think taking front 7 help in the first is also a great idea but some of you make it sound like its the end of the world if we chose to give Rivers playmakers. You have to draft them sometime. We did go D with the first 2 picks last year. Going offense in the 1st this year shouldnt shock anyone. Im surprised so many are against it. Jesus i want to score points at will. I want Rivers on the field all the time and our D off it. That hurt the D a lot last year was always being on the field after the O couldnt move the ball.

Its as if scoring 21 points a game is just fine. We regressed in points scored last year we should have gotten better. This team lacks offensive playmakers. This offense should be more potent than it was in 2013 when Allen, Mathews and Woody went off. As well as a very stout OL. We still only scored 24 points a game. Its not the defense that losing us games. Its the offense not producing enough points.

Id have no problem giving Rivers a stud playmaker in the 1st round. There will be great pass rushers in the 2nd round. We have a 1st rounder starting this year and a 2nd rounder we moved up for. Which means TT probably had Attaochu rated as a first rounder. Eventually you have to get role players outside of the first round. Yes we need a 3rd and 4th pass rusher but i defintely think TT feels that Attaochu is a beast and will be a great player alongside Ingram. We have to believe that TT feels his 2 starting OLBs are a stud combo. We can add to that position every year. I think we go there in the 2nd round this year and maybe bring in some depth. DT is another position of need i understand that.

These are the points per game totals during Rivers career. We have trended downwards over the last few years. This team needs to build around Rivers. Not keep giving him a little help a year. Lets get it done now. Go big. While he has the time. If producing points is what helps him stay a Charger then show him we care.

2014 - 21
                2013 - 24
                2012 - 21
                2011 - 25
                2010 - 27
                2009 - 28
                2008 - 27
                2007 - 25
                2006 - 30

Out of 30 of our last 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks dating back to 2005 3 of them have been offensive playmakers. VJ, Mathews and Allen. 12 have been front 7. Its great that we have tried to draft front 7 over that span but its almost come at the cost of the offense. Thankfully guys like Gates, LT and Sproles helped carry the team.

We need to finally use high draft picks on offensive playmakers.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Floyd, Allen, Johnson, Jones, Inman...hmmm, maybe this is the year for a top rookie WR. Kinda want a trench guy more.
                  Last edited by blueman; 03-22-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I thought the WR did a good job of making plays when the rest of the offense could help them, but when the pass protection broke down and the running game disappeared, then the whole offense imploded. That screams OL help to me. Cut out the negative plays on offense, and let the playmakers keep taking their shots, and I think the rest will take care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X