• oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

See ya Hardwick

Thanks for a great career.

Nick Hardwick wasn't fooling anyone.

It was obvious, he knew.

The worst-kept secret in San Diego was thinly veiled by his thinning, the once stocky, 293-pound Charger sizing down in recent months, more fit for a surfboard than shoulder pads. Not since college had the chisel-jawed center been so slim.

Hardwick nonetheless waited to publicly declare his NFL future until a time he viewed appropriate.

The 2014 season ended Sunday.

The time, with it, arrived.

Very well the finest player at his position in franchise history — Don Macek and Courtney Hall also had decorated careers — will announce his retirement Tuesday, he said in a Monday phone interview. Hardwick, a former Pro Bowler and five-time team captain, spent all 11 of his NFL seasons with the Chargers. They'll hold a morning press conference to commemorate his tenure.

Hardwick will attend, all 208 pounds of him.

He long planned, after considering retirement last offseason, for 2014 to be his final year. That plan began sooner than hoped when recurrent neck issues continued in training camp and the September opener, leading to his placement on injured reserve for the first time. Not wanting to distract from teammates' ongoing season, the 33-year-old publicly declined to make any decision official despite game-day TV cameras showing him on the sideline, resembling a small forward.

He waited until the Super Bowl.

In the final minutes of the fourth quarter Sunday, he reached out via text message. On Monday came the phone call.

It was time.

"I'm nervous about tomorrow just because it's so final," Hardwick said. "To declare your intentions publicly and vocally, it's so final. But I'm also really excited. It's going to be a really good celebration of a fabulous career. I've had a lot of fun, and I learned a lot. That's where I am now, reflecting what I took from it.

"I got a fast track to life on a professional and personal development course. I feel like I have the wisdom of a 60-year-old in a 33-year-old's body, and I'm so thankful for that. Everything is so elevated in football. The highs are so high, and the lows are so low. … It's a big soul-searching journey. I'm really thankful that I guess I found the sport, and the sport found me."

How to honor Hardwick, how to do him justice, becomes the next challenge.

The Chargers will face it at a press conference expected to attract some of his closest former teammates and organization members.

Hardwick entered the league in 2004, the same year as quarterback Philip Rivers, as a third-round draft pick. He went on to start 146 games, including 10 in the postseason, while valued for his toughness, intelligence and dependability. He was high-energy in practice. He was high-energy during games, before which he regularly threw up on account of nerves, he said, about meeting the performance standard he set.

Hardwick was as respected as any Charger to come through the organization in recent memory.

Not a bad career for a Purdue walk-on.

Not a bad career for an Indiana state champion prep wrestler who didn't play a down of high-school football; he rode the bench his freshman year.

"It's like I'm going to witness my own football funeral," Hardwick said of the press conference. "Now you get to see who shows up to your funeral. It's not that tragic, of course, but I'm nervous that nobody is even going to be there. It's not even about that. It's about completing that chapter in my life and moving onto the next."

Hardwick plans to be involved in media.

He also hopes to work closely with the Chargers organization.

Hardwick wishes not to make the Tuesday retirement about his spinal issues, given that stepping away from the game at this time was his plan all along. But that said, they forced the issue.

It will be a wait-and-see, he said, to gauge to what extent he'll deal with the medical issue in retired life. He still deals with some numbing today.

"Nerves were getting compressed through various forms," Hardwick said. "My hands were going numb during training camp for weeks at a time. I was losing feeling in my fingers up through my elbows. I was having a bunch of stingers. On a daily basis, my hands were asleep, my elbows were burning, and I was losing a normalcy to life. It became reckless to continue playing. ...

"Physically, I'm not beating my head against a wall for a living, and that's a relief."

Hardwick suffered an ankle injury in 2009 that required surgery. He returned later that season and, as a lynchpin to an offensive line overwhelmed by turnover the next few years, didn't missed a game until Week 2 this season.

In that Week 2 game, Rivers honored him.

He replaced the No. 17 sticker on the back of his helmet with No. 61, a nod to Hardwick's jersey number. Rivers threw for 284 yards and three touchdowns in an upset of the Seahawks, the start of a five-game winning streak.

Hardwick's absence was felt, though, over the course of the season. The team wound up starting five different centers. One of them, rookie third-round pick Chris Watt, projects as the possible center of the future.

Hardwick, whose retirement comes weeks after veteran guard Jeromey Clary's, said he is thankful for the friendships formed.

He is thankful for the impact that working to become a better teammate and player had on his life.

"The intensity, the passion, the pressure, all of it makes you a better person," Hardwick said. "But I guess, if I were to look back at my career, what do I want people to think about me? I just want them to know that I cared, that I cared about the team, that I cared about my teammates, that I cared about my own performance, that I cared about representing my family the way they ought to be represented. …

"All I want to say is I cared. I cared a lot, and I hope it showed in my work."
    Last edited by oneinchpunch; 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He'll be great in anything he wants to be going forward. Ring of Honor for sure.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Great to see a Charger's star start and end his career as a Bolt. That's rare.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Thanks for all the memories.

Enjoy retirement.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Nice article. 208 lbs.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            crap, I weigh 209
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

How do these guys LEGALLY maintain that kind of bulk? I mean, that's 84 lbs! Jordan Gross - I think - and others, have gone through similar "Honey I Shrunk Myself" transformations after 6 months of retirement (or, in Hardwick's case, pre-retirement). And that wasn't blubber he lost, either. I just find it VERY hard to believe that these guys can naturally maintain that much bulk.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                How do these guys LEGALLY maintain that kind of bulk? I mean, that's 84 lbs! Jordan Gross - I think - and others, have gone through similar "Honey I Shrunk Myself" transformations after 6 months of retirement (or, in Hardwick's case, pre-retirement). And that wasn't blubber he lost, either. I just find it VERY hard to believe that these guys can naturally maintain that much bulk.
                Alan Faneca

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

(steroids)
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Wheels
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Whatever it is, it's better for them to enter retirement in good shape. Lots of ex-players end up obese.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

It will be a wait-and-see, he said, to gauge to what extent he'll deal with the medical issue in retired life. He still deals with some numbing today.

"Nerves were getting compressed through various forms," Hardwick said. "My hands were going numb during training camp for weeks at a time. I was losing feeling in my fingers up through my elbows. I was having a bunch of stingers. On a daily basis, my hands were asleep, my elbows were burning, and I was losing a normalcy to life. It became reckless to continue playing. ...
                      Anybody want to be a football player?
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Fare thee well Nick Hardwick.

Macek/Hall/Hardwick. Hard to pick one over the others. We were fortunate to have all three pass thru, I hope we get a fourth one to pass thru someday.

Comment

Working...
                        X