• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Very true. But considering Brannon would be CB 5 or 6, I doubt he’ll see too much action on defense. I’d rather have the better ST contributor and stash Brannon on the non-poachable practice squad.

Seems like Staley agrees when he said the following about Brannon: “He’s got so far to go, but his heart, his spirit is right, and we’re going to keep coaching him.”

Reading between the lines, that sounds like a player who needs some more development.
    Okay, I'd be fine with stashing Brannon on the no-poach PS list...but my fear is he doesn't clear waivers and gets poached by some team like...the Raiders...ugh...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, I'd be fine with stashing Brannon on the no-poach PS list...but my fear is he doesn't clear waivers and gets poached by some team like...the Raiders...ugh...
      Yeah it’ll be interesting which CBs make the cut. After Vato, CHJ, and ASJ, it’s become super blurry. There’s probably room for 6 total, and two weeks ago I thought the last 3 would be Campbell, Facyson, and Smith.

But who knows when Smith will be ready. Maybe he’ll be on IR to start the season.

I was not too impressed with Campbell’s game Sunday. Seems like he has mucho trouble finding the Ball.

And though Staley raved about Facyson early, dude’s missed a lot of practice, and last year’s play didn’t instill too much confidence.

Hall and Brannon have been making strong cases and either one could leapfrog those last three guys.

The CB competition for spots 4-6 is turning out to be just as tight as the WR comp for spots 4-6. I trust Staley, the defensive guru wunderkind, to make the right decisions.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Brannon has made some practice and preseason INTs but if you listen to Staley sounds like he has a lot of work to do in general and is behind guys like Campbell, Vaughn and even Hall. And Smith will make this team once he is healthy. I know some of us are down on him for being injured but this team needs him. INTs not the only measure of a DB although its great to see Brannon around the ball and making the most of his opportunities. But think about it, other than the goal line INT on a desperation throw did Brannon stand out to you in that game?

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

But...Ballhawk Brannon is leading the team in picks...good ballhawks don't grow on trees...
          And webb is second in ints and has missed a considerable amount of time.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Had a bad dream about a certain key Charger, woke up and had to scour the news wires to ensure it wasn’t true. This nightmare shall remain unspoken forever, lest the shadow of jinx escape and activate the horror. I will live with this unspeakable burden buried deep within forever.

so, you know, you go have a perky peppy happy day!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              How can you keep Ryan Smith? There’s just no room.
              Did you see our punt coverage?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Ryan Smith was signed to play ST - not be relied on to be a CB in the rotation
                I think unless he isn't healthy - you are right, he will be a gunner on ST

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Would just roll with hope punt coverage improves rather than cutting a better, more valuable, future player @ premium position.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Would just roll with hope punt coverage improves rather than cutting a better, more valuable, future player @ premium position.
                    Rolling with hope on ST has cost us a lot of games over the years.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Hopefully our punt coverage will be aided by guys like Fackrell, Tranq, Alohi, Roundtree, Webb, Niemann, Rumph, in addition to Ryan Smith when he’s healthy, hopefully by week 1.

Bubble players like Bradwell, Egbule and Hall have also flashed on ST.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Yeah it’ll be interesting which CBs make the cut. After Vato, CHJ, and ASJ, it’s become super blurry. There’s probably room for 6 total, and two weeks ago I thought the last 3 would be Campbell, Facyson, and Smith.

But who knows when Smith will be ready. Maybe he’ll be on IR to start the season.

I was not too impressed with Campbell’s game Sunday. Seems like he has mucho trouble finding the Ball.

And though Staley raved about Facyson early, dude’s missed a lot of practice, and last year’s play didn’t instill too much confidence.

Hall and Brannon have been making strong cases and either one could leapfrog those last three guys.

The CB competition for spots 4-6 is turning out to be just as tight as the WR comp for spots 4-6. I trust Staley, the defensive guru wunderkind, to make the right decisions.
                        ^ This. I think Campbell and Facyson are probably safer from poaching on the PS than Brannon and Hall...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

In his comprehensive "Trench Warfare" film study of Brenden Jaimes, Brandon Thorn, the Oline source, compared Jaimes to Joe Thuney !
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X