• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
    Just wanna make it clear that Joe Lombardi learned under Sean Payton for SIX years BEFORE getting hired by the Lions where he was the worst OC in the league during his tenure there. He screwed up an offense that had prime Matt Stanford, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Golden Tate etc.

So this whole “well maybe he learned better under Payton” doesn’t make sense because it’s not anything new, he was an awful OC before when he already learned under Payton.
    Didn't you say they made the playoffs under him?

Shit the Lions and Playoffs aren't two words that go good together often.

And it's not official. Daboll was our HC last week remember lol.

Comment

• Blastttoff
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      You folks worry too much...it's still Staley' team...Staley's philosophy...he already has a system in mind, tailored to Herbert...and he is on record as saying he likes to attack...his OC will be running an offense the way Staley wants it run...and I doubt it will be conservative or boring or turtlesque...
      you may have the philosophy in how you want to run the offense but as the offensive coordinator, your job to draw up plays, create schemes, diversions, create/develop strategies specific to other teams defensive tendencies, etc. whcih will be Lombardi’s responsibility. No way Staley is calling plays on defense, and doing this at the same time.
      this guy screams trash. The fact that Staley is interested in him cuz they were buddies back in Daytona days doesn’t give me confidence. That was a long time ago and this consideration is because Staley’s inexperience in the coaching circuit with little relationships with other coaches in the league.
      Not knocking on Staley’s hire or anything but that’s what you have to expect with a resume like his.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        You folks worry too much...it's still Staley' team...Staley's philosophy...he already has a system in mind, tailored to Herbert...and he is on record as saying he likes to attack...his OC will be running an offense the way Staley wants it run...and I doubt it will be conservative or boring or turtlesque...
        Right. Not much chance that Staley hired Lombardi to make the Chargers offense the 2015 Lions. Closer to Saints more likely. I hope Lombo beats the drum long & loud for the NO OL model.

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

He learned under Sean Payton BEFOFE getting hired by the Lions. Didn’t seem to learn anything good.
          Yeah, then he learned again AFTER being hired by the Lions for 5 more years. 2nd time around. We did well with coaches like that like Schottenheimer. People change man....giv em a chance. Plus, gotta trust a genius HC who has now hired 3 out of 5 coaches who have "other side of the ball" experience. (All potential HC quality material guys.)

Comment

• jox g
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post

you may have the philosophy in how you want to run the offense but as the offensive coordinator, your job to draw up plays, create schemes, diversions, create/develop strategies specific to other teams defensive tendencies, etc. whcih will be Lombardi’s responsibility. No way Staley is calling plays on defense, and doing this at the same time.
            this guy screams trash. The fact that Staley is interested in him cuz they were buddies back in Daytona days doesn’t give me confidence. That was a long time ago and this consideration is because Staley’s inexperience in the coaching circuit with little relationships with other coaches in the league.
            Not knocking on Staley’s hire or anything but that’s what you have to expect with a resume like his.
            10 yrs under Sean Payton (8 of em as QB coach, 2 as offensive asst.) 2 yrs OC experience in NFL + 4 in college. Other side of the ball experience w/ Defense (sound familiar) and former strength coach. Fruitful w/ Brees, Taysom, and 5-1 Brdgewater. Give him a chance trust the genius HC.

Interview:
            Staley: "You're the OC but you're gonna run it MY way, got it?" (Smiles)
            Lombardi: "Okay."
            Last edited by jox g; 01-24-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• jox g
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Great opportunity to bring in Free agents from these asst coaches former teams now! Who's avail to boost depth/start from each new coach?

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Awful signing. I'd rather have kept Steichen and Hamilton. We also lost out on our #1 DC choice who is going to Philly.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

I don’t understand what the Chargers had against promoting Pep Hamilton to OC spot.

Or at the very worst, why didn’t we interview Shane Waldron for the job?
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Didn't you say they made the playoffs under him?

Shit the Lions and Playoffs aren't two words that go good together often.

And it's not official. Daboll was our HC last week remember lol.
                    Their defense carried them. Kinda like how Tim Tebow and Mike McCoy “led” the Broncos to the playoffs even though it was their defense that carried them to it.

Yeah I’m hoping it’s not true but Schefter is as good as it gets with these things in nfl related news so he’s probably right.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I don’t understand what the Chargers had against promoting Pep Hamilton to OC spot.

Or at the very worst, why didn’t we interview Shane Waldron for the job?
                      Staley got pissed off that Mike Lombardi said he couldn’t pick his own staff. So he needed to make a point. That’s why Pep isn’t OC.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Their defense carried them. Kinda like how Tim Tebow and Mike McCoy “led” the Broncos to the playoffs even though it was their defense that carried them to it.

Yeah I’m hoping it’s not true but Schefter is as good as it gets with these things in nfl related news so he’s probably right.
                        It's not official so til it is, I'll hope for someone else.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post

His coaching connections were a concern. But Lombardi does have prior OC experience. Like I mentioned previously, I hope he’s humbled and learned from his first stint. It’s not like it’s impossible. Sean Payton was stripped of his play calling duties when he was OC with the Giants.
                          The scenario was laid out in front of Sean Payton, and the Giants offensive coordinator did not hide his displeasure. “If it were to be done would I agree with it?” Payton said. “…

Most recently, we had Frank Reich’s failure as our OC lead to a rebirth during his time with Doug Pederson. So it can happen with Lombardi if he works under the right HC, and most importantly if he’s willing to grow as a coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X