Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    If hired as OC for Steelers, the CHargers get a 3rd round pick? That’s a good return for a one year assistant coach. Pep did well with Herbert and I liked what I saw of him interacting with the team during training camp (real nice dialogue with Ingram then). But he was not a very good OC in Indy with Luck. Just don’t think he will be great in that role.

TG
    I don't think so....think it's OC to a head coach position...to get the pick
    Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I don't think so....think it's OC to a head coach position...to get the pick
      Correct. Only those hired as HC or GM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        If hired as OC for Steelers, the CHargers get a 3rd round pick? That’s a good return for a one year assistant coach. Pep did well with Herbert and I liked what I saw of him interacting with the team during training camp (real nice dialogue with Ingram then). But he was not a very good OC in Indy with Luck. Just don’t think he will be great in that role.

TG
        I think Pep has to be with us for at least two years in order to get a draft pick.

Edit: never mind

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

LOL...when you use "they" as a source, with the implication of a consensus opinion amongst a very large group, you gotta do better than 5 good ol' boys from the TPBs..:hello:
          If I gave u 20 more, u would still complain and say it's not enough...sheesh...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I think he should start a poll...about whether we can use nicknames...in polls about nicknames...:More Q Please:
            LOL...Lone, that reminds me of when I was a public school teacher...and the district office kept slamming the teachers with different surveys, LONG surveys...buried us in paperwork...so the teachers complained...and guess what their solution was? The district sent out ANOTHER SURVEY asking the teachers if there were TOO MANY SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

So...either I missed this earlier, or it broke late last night...Chargers expected to hire Asst. Head Coach/LB coach Joe Barry of the Rams to be the defensive passing game coordinator/LB coach. On paper, that is barely a lateral move...I get the feeling Staley is a rising star, and it is well recognized, and coaches, young and old, are eager to grab on for the ride...even if it means leaving McVay.

In his press conference, he went into deflection mode pretty quick when asked about the interview block on O'Connell...methinks there is still activity there...if that is the case, then O'Connell may want to leave McVay to coach with Staley? Another ringing endorsement on Staley...

By the way...anyone else notice increased use of the title coordinator...like "defensive passing game coordinator" and "run game coordinator". I haven't paid attention to a staff assembly in a long time, but isn't that kinda new? Maybe they are using it to give appearance of promotion...or to garner a coordinator to HC award of draft pick...or maybe they have been using it for years, and I just now noticed, lol...just curious.
              Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Seattle and Chargers want to interview Joe Lombardi, Saints QB coach

Lombardi was the OC at Mercyhurst (I guess its a college) when Staley was QB there in 2005

Not sure I am on board with this one. I want Staley to feel comfortable who he is hiring but we don't want hires that are comfortable because of a past history with the person (Barry with the Rams; Rodgers with the Bears) -meaning George Stewart hires. I get that coaches like to have a connection with some assistants they hire, that makes sense too. But I guess will just have to see who the final OC is. I did like what I saw of his presser.

Report: Chargers, Seahawks want to interview Joe Lombardi for offensive coordinator - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

So...either I missed this earlier, or it broke late last night...Chargers expected to hire Asst. Head Coach/LB coach Joe Barry of the Rams to be the defensive passing game coordinator/LB coach. On paper, that is barely a lateral move...I get the feeling Staley is a rising star, and it is well recognized, and coaches, young and old, are eager to grab on for the ride...even if it means leaving McVay.

In his press conference, he went into deflection mode pretty quick when asked about the interview block on O'Connell...methinks there is still activity there...if that is the case, then O'Connell may want to leave McVay to coach with Staley? Another ringing endorsement on Staley...

By the way...anyone else notice increased use of the title coordinator...like "defensive passing game coordinator" and "run game coordinator". I haven't paid attention to a staff assembly in a long time, but isn't that kinda new? Maybe they are using it to give appearance of promotion...or to garner a coordinator to HC award of draft pick...or maybe they have been using it for years, and I just now noticed, lol...just curious.
                  With coordinators leaving left and right we do need new titles like "coordinator in waiting" after this talented coach gets promoted in a couple of years. We know your smart and capable but just a bit green! LOL!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Ok I want Steichen to be replaced by someone better for sure by Lombardi ain’t it.

Lions fans made this just a few years ago when he was their OC.

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                      Ok I want Steichen to be replaced by someone better for sure by Lombardi ain’t it.

Lions fans made this just a few years ago when he was their OC.

If the names to date are STeichen, Pep and Lombardi -- of course if Pep wants to find a new path, thats fine - but I would take Pep of those three

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If the names to date are STeichen, Pep and Lombardi -- of course if Pep wants to find a new path, thats fine - but I would take Pep of those three
                        Oh yeah me too. But looks like Chargers don’t really value him seeing as their letting him interview with Steelers and other teams I think.
                        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Silversurfer
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Los Angeles
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                          Seattle and Chargers want to interview Joe Lombardi, Saints QB coach

Lombardi was the OC at Mercyhurst (I guess its a college) when Staley was QB there in 2005

Not sure I am on board with this one. I want Staley to feel comfortable who he is hiring but we don't want hires that are comfortable because of a past history with the person (Barry with the Rams; Rodgers with the Bears) -meaning George Stewart hires. I get that coaches like to have a connection with some assistants they hire, that makes sense too. But I guess will just have to see who the final OC is. I did like what I saw of his presser.

Report: Chargers, Seahawks want to interview Joe Lombardi for offensive coordinator - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)
                          Saints style offense dumping it down to RB's. Herbert can get more vertical than Brees so can open it up more.

Comment

Working...
                          X