• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
      the contrast between these two bullet points I find interesting

2. As for the league's investigation as to whether the Patriots used deliberately deflated footballs in the AFC title game win over the Colts, Goodell said the NFL hasn't "put a timetable" on the investigation being headed up by league gumshoe Ted Wells. It's worth noting that Goodell indicated the investigation doesn't have to be solved by the draft, which strikes us as interesting.

4. Goodell wouldn't provide much light on the texting scandal surrounding the Browns, saying: "Any violation of our rules is something that we take seriously. It affects the integrity of the game and all 32 teams need to be operating under the same rules. I think our clubs expect that and our fans expect that. So any violation of that is treated seriously." Goodell told reporters that he expects the issue to receive top focus "in the next couple of days."
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
        When the Lams and Duhs were in LA, the Chargers never owned the LA TV Market which they currently do. I don't buy the 25% ticket holder rukas. This is about marketing money that the LA market brings. If another team (especially AFC) moves into LA, San Diego will lose that entire market to television.

The only issue with getting Chargers games in LA is if Fox is carrying the game and Fox wants to send LA TV a marquee game. Other than that the Chargers are on TV in LA each and every week of the season. Being the only regional team in the LA TV market has to be worth more than say 15K supposed ticket holders from this same market (which most are probably brokers).
        Do the Chargers really benefit specifically from being shown in a bigger market? I don't think they get any money directly from that....
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          the contrast between these two bullet points I find interesting

2. As for the league's investigation as to whether the Patriots used deliberately deflated footballs in the AFC title game win over the Colts, Goodell said the NFL hasn't "put a timetable" on the investigation being headed up by league gumshoe Ted Wells. It's worth noting that Goodell indicated the investigation doesn't have to be solved by the draft, which strikes us as interesting.

4. Goodell wouldn't provide much light on the texting scandal surrounding the Browns, saying: "Any violation of our rules is something that we take seriously. It affects the integrity of the game and all 32 teams need to be operating under the same rules. I think our clubs expect that and our fans expect that. So any violation of that is treated seriously." Goodell told reporters that he expects the issue to receive top focus "in the next couple of days."
          Goodell is a fucking joke.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
            Do the Chargers really benefit specifically from being shown in a bigger market? I don't think they get any money directly from that....
            I'm not sure about directly, as I'm unsure where the TV commercial money goes (true revenue sharing?)... But speaking indirectly to the marketing of a product... A Chargers team televised each week in the second largest TV market in the U.S. has to have some impact on ticket or gear revenue, as each NFL game is basically a 3.5 hour long infomercial of your business/product. I would imagine losing that would hurt the San Diego Chargers bottom line in some way, shape or form, as their product would be reaching far less potential money spenders? Hell, I don't know... As I type this, I realize the Chargers have NFL TV Control over the same TV market as the Clippers yet their net value is nowhere near the second fiddle NBA team in LA.

Interesting side discussion 1... Young LA peeps have had nothing but Chargers on TV for several years. Why haven't they flocked to the Bolts? Or have they, and I am naive?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                The Chargers are determined to leave San Diego for Los Angeles.
                not a fact or bit of real information to support the conclusion. The NFL already said they will block the Rams move to LA- expect a years long court fight there. BOTH San Diego and Oakland are working on getting new stadiums for their NFL teams and so is St Louis. This stuff is just useless speculation until a team says they are leaving and/or the Colesium or Rose Bowl announce the NFL team will be playing there for a couple years while a new stadium is constructed for them. It's getting old now.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  not a fact or bit of real information to support the conclusion. The NFL already said they will block the Rams move to LA- expect a years long court fight there. BOTH San Diego and Oakland are working on getting new stadiums for their NFL teams and so is St Louis. This stuff is just useless speculation until a team says they are leaving and/or the Colesium or Rose Bowl announce the NFL team will be playing there for a couple years while a new stadium is constructed for them. It's getting old now.
                  Since nobody on this board has any idea of what was said in those private conversations, coming to your conclusion is just as speculative as concluding they will leave.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Since nobody on this board has any idea of what was said in those private conversations, coming to your conclusion is just as speculative as concluding they will leave.
                    how so? Goodell already publically stated the NFL will block the Rams move. Also, AEG is suing Carson- again made public. Check SDUT and the City & County will today announce a Joint Powers Authority and cost sharing arrangement to move forward with a SD stadium project that will result in a county wide referendum- so no 2/3rds vote needed BS.

What I'd like to see now is the ludicrous claim the Chargers are making regarding them owning NFL market in LA shot down once and for all. They can't have it both ways- blocking any other team from going to LA- AND get a new stadium in San Diego. Time to call their bluff on that. Full steam ahead for a new SD stadium dude- stop worrying.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      What I'd like to see now is the ludicrous claim the Chargers are making regarding them owning NFL market in LA shot down once and for all. They can't have it both ways- blocking any other team from going to LA- AND get a new stadium in San Diego. Time to call their bluff on that. Full steam ahead for a new SD stadium dude- stop worrying.
                      Why is this such a ludicrous claim? If you owned a franchise and a neighboring market was abandoned 20 years ago and you derive a significant portion of your income from the abandoned market, you wouldn't just allow the fanchisee to set up a new business in that market without 1) right of first refusal or 2) some compensation for potential loss of your customer base. Still, even if it is a ludicrous claim as you state, I don't see how that helps keep the team in SD. How does the 'bluff' being called help?

I sincerely hope we get the new stadium in SD, but I'm not one to stop worrying, more on the plan for the worst case scenario line of thinking. IMO, the stop worrying is why we are where we are, the city has lacked any sense of urgency until recently, and even now it's barely urgent enough.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Florio blows a lot of hot air just like Hacksaw.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X