• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Jim Trotter: Chargers fans may be upset about partnership w/ Raiders, but Spanos and Davis families have had a good friendship/relationship for decades.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

I hate the Raiders just as much as anybody but it doesn't really bother me. I don't much give a shit about the stadium in general and Qualcomm would be just fine from my perspective (even though I understand it's a dump that needs to be replaced). At least in Carson it's pretty easy to drive up and catch a Charger game. I would still hate the Raiders even if they moved to the NFC and shared a stadium with the Bolts. The only thing that would suck is that we wouldn't get to beat them as often and will take longer to catch up to them in all time head to head winning percentage. At the same time it would probably be better than playing twice a year and having both games being 90% raider fans.

That councilman wearing a rivers mcfadden jersey was pretty discusting.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Too bad the stadium is not further north so they are out of the TV zone of influence.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Highboltage
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          As a guy who has to drive by their soccer stadium to and from LAX area every few months... It's not as bad of a spot as people say it is.

Few miles from Palos Verdes, Long Beach, and really close to the coast. Decent access to all the rich dudes in Orange County who can take the 73 straight to the stadium.

It could be worse, they could build a stadium in Riverside County.... just sayin'
          It's also right next to Compton.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I saw a lot of orange shirts in the audience at the Carson presser. Raider fans doing work furlough?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              I saw a lot of orange shirts in the audience at the Carson presser. Raider fans doing work furlough?
              Bronco fans laughing hysterically at both teams...

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Seriously, it's not over till it's over. If Kroenke moves his team before the season starts, the Bolts and Raiders are both screwed. They would probably be locked out of LA and they'd never get a positive vote at home for a stadium.

Why didn't the Bolts hook up with Kroenke? A rams-bolts stadium makes more sense with an owner that has the land and the money to make it happen. Plus, it's a better fan base.

And Kroenke would have a better chance to get his relocation vote from the owners.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  Why didn't the Bolts hook up with Kroenke? A rams-bolts stadium makes more sense with an owner that has the land and the money to make it happen. Plus, it's a better fan base.
                  Spanos probably has no desire to be just a tenant in a stadium. With the deal with the Mark Davis, he's 50% equity owner of everything that comes from the stadium. Probably ran the numbers, and this was his best move long term. Despite what we think of the 'duh fan base, the ties to the Davis family run deep in the Charger ownership, going back to Al's tenure as an assistant coach, the guy who signed Alworth, as well as the guy who convinced Alex to buy into the league. The Charger fan base may be reset here in San Diego, but he might also think in the long term that more LA area fans are more attracted to the Blue and Gold if they are actually there in LA County.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    With the deal with the Mark Davis.
                    Re-read what you just wrote.

This is your 'business partner.'

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The Oakland Raiders Thursday night announced plans to share a stadium in Southern California with the San Diego Chargers if both NFL teams fail to find new stadium solutions in their hometowns.

“We have both been working in our home markets to find a stadium solution for many years, so far unsuccessfully,” the teams said.
                      “We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises,” the teams said.

Note the big "IF" in that statement. Neither team is serious about moving to Carson at all. This is a desperate negotiation tactic by both teams. Might work for the Raiders, at least from reading that article, but Chargers just screwed themselves over big time. They're going to be F'd over when the Raiders get their deal in Oakland. Maybe the Charger backup plan is to move in with the Rams.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• captaind
                        Cook This Pork Chops
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Balcony
                        • Senile Agitator
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                        http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...hare-in-socal/

“We have both been working in our home markets to find a stadium solution for many years, so far unsuccessfully,” the teams said.
                        “We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises,” the teams said.

Note the big "IF" in that statement. Neither team is serious about moving to Carson at all. This is a desperate negotiation tactic by both teams. Might work for the Raiders, at least from reading that article, but Chargers just screwed themselves over big time. They're going to be F'd over when the Raiders get their deal in Oakland. Maybe the Charger backup plan is to move in with the Rams.
                        I think they're looking elsewhere across the country.

I don't think either one of them get a deal out of this. Oakland will be stuck in Oakland, and the Chargers will try to make a deal somewhere else outside of CA.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

They bought the land, hired the architects, got a whole city to be onboard. Awful big game of chicken.

Comment

Working...
                          X