Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    I've Already packed Matthews bags sorry. He's gone.

I don't see Wright or Gilchrist as necessary, which is what I thought this thread was. Both are replaceable players. I'm not worried about the backups and rotational players either.

We finally have cap room to do anything. Literally anyone they want, they can go and get. We need some impact playmakers.

If we could sign anyone, I would go after Justin Houston. Instant solution to our pass rush issues and adds speed to defense.

Then you fix that O line. Our dollars need to be spent in the right places.

We can draft another safety or let Addae play fulltime. We can also draft another CB with a high pick if we can sign a pass rusher.

I guess what I'm trying to say, you can't put all your FA money into the secondary. Flowers and Weddle should be the high priced guys. Then you fill in.

Gotta spread the money around.
    Houston isn't going to hit the FA market, so I think any speculation about him is a waste of time. He'll be franchised, at the very least, if not re-signed to a long-term deal.

I'm of the opinion that you can't let all but 2 of your own FAs walk and then try and fill in with "impact" (read: OVERPRICED) free agents. Good luck with that strategy. And I think you're whistling Dixie if you think you can survive without quality backups and/or rotational players. Injuries WILL happen; you have to have quality depth. Unless you're changing your mind about Richard Marshall?

I doubt we're going to see Houston-DThomas-Suh-JPP type Free Agents on the Chargers. Just because we have the money doesn't mean we HAVE to spend it (or will spend it). But I would be disappointed if they didn't sign 2-3 guys who are just below the upper FA echelon. I'll have to look at a list of FAs to give you some names. That and re-sign Dunlap, Flowers, either Gilchrist/Wright, and Royal at a MINIMUM. As well as restructuring Weddle, Rivers, and perhaps even Malcom and JJ (who I'd like to keep for what he brings to the locker room).

Unlike you, I'm still on the fence about Mathews. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if he leaves, either.

Comment

Working...
    X