• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDBORN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

delightfully surprised to hear Lynn is gone...

Hopefully the spanos clan pulls its head of out of its ass for once with the next HC hire. Doubt they will but we shall see.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
      Stack Au Ag Pb
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
      It is a good day.........
      Justin Herbert.

We just want a ring. The Precious.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Going to disagree with this strongly. Assholes rarely last long as HC. It’s the reason most of the Belichick tree don’t work. The HC needs Lynn’s strengths but none of his weaknesses. Otherwise you end up with someone like Josh McDaniels who pisses everyone off and tries to trade away your roster.
        I do not want to see McDaniels as our HC. Sure hope they don't entertain the thought in the Chargers club. In terms of character, it doesn't see like someone they would hire here in LA.

Comment

• Eurobolt
          *** Jim Harbaugh ***
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Is Stewart gone too?

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
            Is Stewart gone too?
            If the head coach goes the whole tree goes with it. They have to interview for a position under the new coach.

:hello:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

The Chargers have missed the playoffs 9 out of last 11 seasons.

Lynn was here for 4 seasons. Made playoffs 1 time.

The 7 seasons before Lynn arrived with Rivers in his prime.
              1 playoff appearance. ONE.

They were failing before Lynn ever arrived. And Dean statement gives me Zero confidence. If he did an Elway. Fire Telesco, move his son into a different role. Then stated he would allowed the next GM and HC to work together without meddling in their program...it could be different.

But it won't be.
              :facepalm1:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Tom Krasovic article from the SDUT. c/p as they are normally behind a paywall

Telesco, Spanos failed Lynn in some respects, but firing likable coach made sense

By Tom Krasovic

Jan. 4, 2021
                1:50 PM

The Spanoses ripped San Diego’s heart out once.
                A Super Bowl victory by the Los Angeles Chargers would make it twice.
                Implausible? Yes, but given what happened Monday in Orange County, where Anthony Lynn was fired after four seasons as head coach, the hypothetical scenario of Dean Spanos and sons raising the Lombardi Trophy in L.A. strains the imagination less.
                The Chargers seem to have a Super Bowl quarterback in Justin Herbert.

They didn’t seem to have a Super Bowl head coach in Lynn.
                A team with the right coach and right quarterback will contend for the Super Bowl in most years.
                While Lynn, 52, had done good things for the club, not just on the football scene but also as a Chargers ambassador in Greater Los Angeles, keeping him around would’ve made little sense given the pattern of glaring miscues Lynn himself described as “embarrassing” and not OK.
                The Super Bowl should be the standard, unless the team’s owner is content to gorge on the huge slice of NFL pie every club gets no matter how many games it wins.

How did Lynn fare when he went against the coach with the most Super Bowl victories?
                Not good. That alone would’ve been excusable, because Bill Belichick gets the better of most coaches including those who preceded Lynn with the Chargers.
                But this was alarming. Twice in recent games against Belichick’s Patriots, the deficit was 28 points at halftime.
                It was less difficult to justify the first of those performances.

After all, when Lynn’s third team rolled into New England’s stadium for the divisional playoff game on Jan. 13, 2019, it had lived up to Lynn’s stated goal to mold a program whose No. 1 trait was toughness. Under Lynn, who’d lasted six years in the NFL as an undrafted running back, the 2018 Chargers had won road games against the Seahawks, Chiefs and Steelers en route to the franchise’s best record (12-4) in nine years.
                They’d seized their playoff opener, upending the Ravens in Baltimore on the strength of Gus Bradley’s defense.
                Mild New England weather greeted the Chargers. Amid pregame festivities, not one but two groups of Spanoses and friends separately filled a large stadium elevator, whose operator suggested that was an unusually large turnout.
                The Spanoses and guests witnessed a butt-kicking, the Chargers falling behind 35-7 and looking anything but tough.

Unfortunately for Lynn and staff, the rematch last month was a mess.
                The Chargers fell apart as a two-point favorite, losing 45-0 inside the Kroenke Dome to a Patriots team that brought in a 5-6 record and lacked even a decent passing game. Chargers special teams, whose bad performances had become routine since Tom Telesco and John Spanos took over football operations eight years earlier, plumbed new depths opposite Belichick, a special teams master.
                If Spanos and Telesco were looking for a final reason to move on from Lynn, that amateurish showing, on the heels of 17 losses in 21 contests decided by one score, provided them the cover to do it.
                Winning the final four games, as Lynn’s program did to lift his record to 33-31 across the coach’s four seasons, didn’t inspire confidence that errors in game management could be overcome in the Super Bowl pursuit.

Don’t blame only Lynn

Special teams blunders, which often reflect poor roster depth, have been a near constant under Telesco, who picks the players.
                Telesco provided Philip Rivers just one solid line in seven years. The rest were subpar, as was the unit that tried to protect Herbert.
                In nearly four decades of team ownership, the Spanoses have bungled several coaching moves and non-moves.
                Selecting the final coach of the San Diego era, it was Dean Spanos who hired Mike McCoy, a former Broncos offensive coordinator who took over in 2013. At the same time, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt paid top dollar to hire Andy Reid, who said his relationship with the Hunt family drove his decision.

McCoy’s four teams went a combined 27-37, while Reid built a program that has won the past five West titles and given the Chiefs their first Super Bowl victory in 50 years.
                After he was fired, McCoy didn’t get through either of the next two NFL seasons as a coordinator.
                John Spanos and Telesco had a bigger say in naming McCoy’s successor.
                Choosing Lynn, they championed his leadership qualities. Like McCoy, he was a former longtime NFL offensive assistant who’d never been a head coach and likely received bottom-tier salary.

Importantly, Lynn wasn’t going to upset the top-down power dynamic in which Telesco had final say on player personnel.
                The Chargers aren’t unique in giving the GM final say on the roster, joining the Packers, Browns and Steelers, among others, in that approach. Others NFL teams such as the Patriots (Belichick), Seahawks (Pete Carroll), 49ers (Kyle Shanahan) and Chiefs (Reid) empowered the head coach to make the final call, while those coaches developed trust with a GM.

Super Bowl QB?

Herbert, coming off a stunningly good rookie season, represents a 6-foot-6 eraser to many mistakes Telesco-Spanos have made or will make.
                He led the Chargers to a 7-9 record, a year after they went 5-11 with Rivers not missing a significant snap. Making Herbert’s job tougher, the special teams were either the NFL’s worst or close to it, while the defense ended up 23rd in points.

Sophomore slump be damned: Herbert will make the head-coach opening more attractive. He made the NFL look easy in many of his 15 starts. The Miami Dolphins may have done Team Spanos a huge favor when they drafted Tua Tagovailoa one spot before Telesco wisely chose Herbert.
                As for what the Spanos braintrust seeks in its next coach, Dean Spanos may have given a clue Monday.
                “We have been innovative in many facets of our organization in recent years,” he said, “and we need to carry that over to our entire operation.”
                Whether the Chargers have in fact been innovative in non-football realms since Dean and his three siblings moved the club north, I don’t know, but innovation was seldom a Chargers strength during the family’s 33-year run in San Diego.

Alex Spanos, two years after buying control of the team in 1984, fired one of the most innovative head coaches in the sport’s history in Don Coryell. He replaced him with a yes man in Al Saunders, who, for sure, was a bright offensive schemer but never again became a head coach.
                In recent years as the analytics boom gained traction in football, the Chargers didn’t seem to embrace it in a way that benefited their head coaches. Interestingly, McCoy said the Broncos provided their coaches more analytical support than the Chargers had. (Judging by Vic Fangio’s game management, that support goes only so far.)

Potential candidatesth in points.

Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, who coached at Telesco’s college alma mater, John Carroll, made tweaks to the Wade Phillips scheme that helped Los Angeles finished first in points. At 38, the former Dayton quarterback has coached under well-regarded innovators such as the defensive-minded Fangio and Rams head coach Sean McVay, a former offensive coordinator.
                Under coordinator Brian Daboll, a former Belichick underling who attended the same high school as Telesco, third-year Bills quarterback Josh Allen has become a MVP contender who led Buffalo to its first AFC East title in 25 years.
                Herbert and Allen have similar physical traits.
                Whoever becomes the Chargers head coach should be expected to lead the team to a winning season this year and the Super Bowl tournament soon. The roster will include Joey Bosa, Derwin James, Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler, to say nothing of a quarterback whose salary-cap charge the next three years could be a huge bargain.

Then again, to throw a cloud over the L.A. sunshine, the Spanoses didn’t reach any Super Bowls with star quarterbacks Dan Fouts, Brees or Rivers.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

You probably have an aggressive ad blocker. You may have to whitelist the site or twitter.
                  that was it.... it was firefox's tracker blocker

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    Just a question....so don't throw anything. I have been a fan of this team for over 40 years, but am not a San Diegan. I do realize how upsetting it has been for the team to move and that the Spanos family are the ones who did it, so I get the hate. Maybe a little weary of reading it, but I certainly get it.

Where does all the inside information about John Spanos on this board come from, though? Other than him posing in the camera shots during draft time or speaking about a player who was picked, I almost never read about him, hear about him, see him. In fact until I listened to the Slaussen and Woodhead piece I never heard anything about the Spanos's interferring, In fact everything I read or heard over the years was the opposite (I recall reading that Dean let AJ Smith walk all over him and did not get involved in the football side of things enough, ironically). Seems like juicy stuff like the owner's son interfering would be big news and hard to keep quiet.

And as someone who leads an organization, I can tell you that if what Slaussen said about McCoy is true, McCoy needed to be fired immediately. A real leader NEVER says to a subordinate that this is out of my control. That sounds like someone who is weak and doesnt want to man up and tell Slaussen he is out of line or that he disagrees so the best way to get him out of the office is to blame management. If McCoy was being told to play guys he did not want to, that is on him. He needed to man up because he would get fired either way. And if that were true, why would the front office have let Lynn start Tyrod and plan for him to come back and start? Why is Pipkins not playing until all the other FA scrubs are hurt? Why is Ballage playing over Kelly?

Lastly, I think it was Woodhead who said Phil now is seeing what a real organization is like, because he is playing for the Colts. That is where Telesco came from. Telesco knows all about the Colts and I am sure has copied all the good stuff they do.

Most of the John Spanos bashing was prior to the Slaussen video, so have I been missing a lot of stuff or is John just the whipping boy for the Spanoses moving the team?

TG
                    I agree with this in general. They’re middle pack in terms of ownership ranking. Their weaknesses seem to be that they don’t like to spend outside of things related to the salary cap. I don’t think they meddle nearly as much as others have said or believed. There is however a disconcerting trend with their hires so far which is that they all seem to be offensively conservative.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Are you running the latest version? I just tried on Firefox and cant replicate you tech issue. I have cleared the cache here at the forum. You may try that.
                      it was firefox's web site tracker blocker

Comment

• Fleet
                        Fleet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sweet man. BOLT UP!!!!
                    • JOJAX85
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Irmo, SC
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                      The Chargers have missed the playoffs 9 out of last 11 seasons.

Lynn was here for 4 seasons. Made playoffs 1 time.

The 7 seasons before Lynn arrived with Rivers in his prime.
                      1 playoff appearance. ONE.

They were failing before Lynn ever arrived. And Dean statement gives me Zero confidence. If he did an Elway. Fire Telesco, move his son into a different role. Then stated he would allowed the next GM and HC to work together without meddling in their program...it could be different.

But it won't be.
                      :facepalm1:
                      You are probably right. 40+ years as a fan says so. But my HOPE is that Dean is starting to worry about his legacy. He's got a shooting star in the palm of his hands in Herbert. I HOPE he sees that his window has never been bigger to go all in for a run at the Lombardi. I HOPE he backs the fuck off & brings in football people to do football stuff. I HOPE. Because if I don't have that hope I've wasted all these years & need to go follow a professional badminton team or something.

Comment

• chargers_22
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

baby.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X