• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

All those blunders just mean he’s not HC material. It has nothing to do with him being hired as an OC. Did you forget all the numerous blunders that happened under Norv and McCoy during their last season with us?
    As bad as Norv and McCoy were, I don't think I've ever seen so many games in a single season, where the HC (in this case, Lynn) has made so many awful decisions during the game...everything from pitiful playcalling to awful clock management...not exactly a sparkling, shiny resume to show to a future employer...

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

As bad as Norv and McCoy were, I don't think I've ever seen so many games in a single season, where the HC (in this case, Lynn) has made so many awful decisions during the game...everything from pitiful playcalling to awful clock management...not exactly a sparkling, shiny resume to show to a future employer...
      You must have blocked out those last years then. I wish I could do that as well.

Here’s some of McCoy’s worst losses for example. I wish I could find one solely for 2016. But this is the best I could find. There were a lot more since it was a Oct 2016 article. But the exact same issues as Lynn.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You must have blocked out those last years then. I wish I could do that as well.

Here’s some of McCoy’s worst losses for example. I wish I could find one solely for 2016. But this is the best I could find. There were a lot more since it was a Oct 2016 article. But the exact same issues as Lynn.
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/91849178
        What's consistent about most, if not all those losses in 2016 is that they were due to PLAYER mistakes--picks thrown by Rivers, fumbles, sacks, etc. I didn't see much if at all, any mention made of COACHING blunders--something Lynn has been guilty of this season on several occasions...

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It may not be popular - and he did just sign an extension with Michigan but I would be for Harbaugh as that means Lynn would be fired.

Harbaugh - you know what you are getting - a 4 year run or so before he starts to get annoying.

I would prefer a guy that can be in place like John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton - and to me, thats Daboll or maybe a guy like Wink Martindale.
          Ageed! I take into account tho he's getting a little older & wiser and maybe the thinking would be he could settle in with the Chargers for the next 10 years and leave his legacy in the NFL,

The situation is he's on the fence right now in returning to Michigan, where he doesn't seem to be wanted by their fans. The only move would be for the Chargers to call the agent and ask for an interview before he agrees to return to Michigan.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

What's consistent about most, if not all those losses in 2016 is that they were due to PLAYER mistakes--picks thrown by Rivers, fumbles, sacks, etc. I didn't see much if at all, any mention made of COACHING blunders--something Lynn has been guilty of this season on several occasions...
            He is one of the worst "game day" coaches in the NFL. And it makes me wonder if Whiz and Rivers hid some of those deficiencies.

All the other "touchy feeling" intangibles are good to have but end of the day - can you coach the players during the week so they stop making mistakes and get better; prepare a game plan and on game day, coach the damn game. His weakness is glaring.

Hence, why I think being more experienced than Brady, Arthur Smith and Staley is necessary if Lynn is let go. Just being around football for more years -I think would have some benefits.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

You can find them. Just search Mike McCoy bad coaching.

And you find up 7-0 at opponent 39 yard line. 4th and 1.
              And McCoy punts the ball.
              ​​​​​Not as bad but, tied 10-10 in same game. At opponent 47 and 4th and 1, McCoy punts the ball. So twice in same game in opponent territory 4th and 1 punts.
              Then up 17-13 late in same game. 3min left. At own 30. Titans have the 2min warning stoppage and a timeout. So even running the ball, you can't kill enough clock unless you get a couple 1st down. McCoy turtles up. Run, run, run and punt.
              And they lost 17-20.

1st qtr vs Dallas no score in game at 50 4th and 1. Punt.
              tie with Dallas at 7. 3rd and 21 in 2nd qtr. Run, punt. Why not throw on 3rd and 21.

1st qtr. Down 0-7 vs Raiders. 4th and 2 at opponent 40. Punt.

Final minute of game vs Eagles. Down by 3.
              1st and 10 with timeout left. McCoy turtles up and runs the ball on 1st and 2nd down, 3rd down pass but Rivers is sacked and then kicks tying FG.

3rd qtr vs Raiders down 0-17. 4th and 2 at opponent 19yd line
              Kick FG and made it 3-17. Not exactly an aggressive call.

3rd qtr 4th and 1 and Jax 2yd line. Kicks FG. Again not exactly an aggressive call.

3rd and 24. Up 7-0 vs Texans. And they Ran. 4th down punt.
              why not run on 3rd down and long in 1st quarter.

This was just some things he did, and it was only part one of season. If we keep going for more from that season as well as his other 3 season this list will grow to be dozens of pages long of questionable coaching strategy in down and distance situations.

But even after saying all that. I don't think it was a championship roster he was coaching. So even if he made better decisions, I don't see it helping that much.
              Same with Lynn. It isn't a championship roster.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

If you don’t think there were huge coaching blunders in 2016, then I think you’re forgetting what actually happened during that season. It was just as bad. This season is just more fresh in your head.

Additionally outside of the Patriots game this year, you could make a case for all the one score losses as player mistakes: if Herbert didn’t throw that interception against the Chiefs, if Ekeler had just caught that lateral against the Panthers, if Badgley had just made that FG against the Saints, if Facyson had just turned his head on that 4th down pass against the Broncos, etc. It helps that we have more analytics prevalent and more guys like Daniel Popper pointing out the flaws.

And those coaching blunders aren’t going to stop a team from wanting to hire Lynn as OC since it’s completely different responsibilities. That’s the most important thing you need to remember. Someone could be a horrible HC but a good coordinator. Or even in the case of McCoy, a desired but bad one. We see it all the time.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You can find them. Just search Mike McCoy bad coaching.

And you find up 7-0 at opponent 39 yard line. 4th and 1.
                  And McCoy punts the ball.
                  ​​​​​Not as bad but, tied 10-10 in same game. At opponent 47 and 4th and 1, McCoy punts the ball. So twice in same game in opponent territory 4th and 1 punts.
                  Then up 17-13 late in same game. 3min left. At own 30. Titans have the 2min warning stoppage and a timeout. So even running the ball, you can't kill enough clock unless you get a couple 1st down. McCoy turtles up. Run, run, run and punt.
                  And they lost 17-20.

1st qtr vs Dallas no score in game at 50 4th and 1. Punt.
                  tie with Dallas at 7. 3rd and 21 in 2nd qtr. Run, punt. Why not throw on 3rd and 21.

1st qtr. Down 0-7 vs Raiders. 4th and 2 at opponent 40. Punt.

Final minute of game vs Eagles. Down by 3.
                  1st and 10 with timeout left. McCoy turtles up and runs the ball on 1st and 2nd down, 3rd down pass but Rivers is sacked and then kicks tying FG.

3rd qtr vs Raiders down 0-17. 4th and 2 at opponent 19yd line
                  Kick FG and made it 3-17. Not exactly an aggressive call.

3rd qtr 4th and 1 and Jax 2yd line. Kicks FG. Again not exactly an aggressive call.

3rd and 24. Up 7-0 vs Texans. And they Ran. 4th down punt.
                  why not run on 3rd down and long in 1st quarter.

This was just some things he did, and it was only part one of season. If we keep going for more from that season as well as his other 3 season this list will grow to be dozens of pages long of questionable coaching strategy in down and distance situations.

But even after saying all that. I don't think it was a championship roster he was coaching. So even if he made better decisions, I don't see it helping that much.
                  Same with Lynn. It isn't a championship roster.
                  No doubt MM had his bad moments...maybe I should start up a poll: Who is the WORST coach in Charger history?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

No doubt MM had his bad moments...maybe I should start up a poll: Who is the WORST coach in Charger history?
                    Think someone did not long ago, it wasn't you?

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Pls take Brian Kelly off the list

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Pls take Brian Kelly off the list
                        Why?
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Why?
                          The graphic showing ND in bowl and ny6 games.

Comment

Working...
                          X