Popper: How Can The Spanos Family Not Overhaul The Bolts Now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Can we edit her out and call this the three stooges? And post it where they are sure to see it?
    I would say the better candidates for the Three Bolt Stooges would be Baby Spanos, TT and Lynn...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      I listed to the Kaplan interview with Woodhead/Slauson - not surprised JohnBoy is too involved

Was surprised to hear from Woodhead that McCoy was locked in year 1 but years 2 -4 he thought he had less power

My guess the OL guy who was stinking was Orlando Franklin - they paid him big money

Might have more respect for McCoy without the Spanii influence.

I am sure its more prevalent in that building than it should be . John Boy has a toy and he plays fantasy football but its real games, real people.

Dean needs to make him Chief Officer of Ticking Taking and out of Football Ops
      Yep...put Baby Spanos in charge of the Bolt Fantasy League:

baby spanos video final.jpg

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

We need Spanos out. It may take a Donald Sterling level event

Comment

• Silversurfer
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Los Angeles
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
          I listed to the Kaplan interview with Woodhead/Slauson - not surprised JohnBoy is too involved

Was surprised to hear from Woodhead that McCoy was locked in year 1 but years 2 -4 he thought he had less power

My guess the OL guy who was stinking was Orlando Franklin - they paid him big money

Might have more respect for McCoy without the Spanii influence.

I am sure its more prevalent in that building than it should be . John Boy has a toy and he plays fantasy football but its real games, real people.

Dean needs to make him Chief Officer of Ticking Taking and out of Football Ops
          This dude just is just a Chargers basher. I mean as bad as we are and the things that are done in the past suck but this dude just shits on everything Chargers, he needs to move on with his life.

I believe thats why they need an Alpha coach to push back, not sure it will happen but obviously thats when the team will succeed like when we had Marty.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

This dude just is just a Chargers basher. I mean as bad as we are and the things that are done in the past suck but this dude just shits on everything Chargers, he needs to move on with his life.

I believe thats why they need an Alpha coach to push back, not sure it will happen but obviously thats when the team will succeed like when we had Marty.
            Oh for sure - he is a basher. He even bashed the Cleveland Browns when he called out that his college roommate is an OC making $1m per year not even allowed to call plays -I wonder if Alex Van Pelt appreciated that (didn't take long to google that as I knew Kaplan went to Pitt and looked up the Cleveland coaching staff and there was a guy from Pitt, Alex Van Pelt) - anywho..

I do think for this to work - the Chargers and John Boy would need to hire an alpha coach like Marty

Thats why Brian Kelly is at the top of the list
            Harbaugh is up there too. He is a splashy enough name to excite the Spanii - as they need some buzz in So Cal and he probably wouldn't take as much guff

the ultimate would be Hoodie - just not sure if anything Cowherd says is true - but might be worth a call

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

All of the John Spanos needs to leave talk is kind of pointless - he isn't going anywhere. About the best we can hope for is that he gets better at his job.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                All of the John Spanos needs to leave talk is kind of pointless - he isn't going anywhere. About the best we can hope for is that he gets better at his job.
                Pointless, but needed for us fans, as this forum is the only court of opinion I am aware of, where John Spanos will held accountable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Pointless, but needed for us fans, as this forum is the only court of opinion I am aware of, where John Spanos will held accountable.
                  I do wonder if the Spanii want to win a Super Bowl, win more games than they lose, or just am happy making the money.

John, Dean and AG can all have jobs. But if they truly wanted to win, they need to check their egos and get the hell out

I know this much - if the Chargers ever win a Super Bowl - the first person touching the Lombardi will be Dean... I have said often that Dean being gifted the team and not having to work to be rich shows in how he runs the team. His dad started by selling sandwiches to farm workers I believe. Robert Kraft built a company. Jerry Jones - say what you want, built his empire. Dean needed to have something - hell, be involved with managing a 10 unit apartment complex - he would be much better, less obtuse, less dense.

So yes, John Boy will never not be involved - so they will still get the bashing they deserve.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Yes, all he can do is help to set up the chess pieces going forward with Telesco and then get out of the way until a coach requires their assistance for problems in player personnel.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I understand the frustration with the long, crappy history this team has but I have resigned myself to the ownership and concentrate on what can be fixed - like the coaching staff.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I understand the frustration with the long, crappy history this team has but I have resigned myself to the ownership and concentrate on what can be fixed - like the coaching staff.
                        Its why I have a Brian Kelly higher than a first timer like Joe Brady, Arthur Smith , maybe even a Daboll- they might have a bit more gravitas coming into the building.

I mean Urban would be the ultimate of course

JohnBoy needs to learn to just go to meetings, start the meetings, nod his head, say "yes, that sounds good" and he can take all the credit he wants if they win.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

When I posted the Kaplan video, I recognized the problems with Kaplan, but I found the views expressed by Woodhead and Slauson important, because if it is read and distilled, I think it undermines -- sadly -- many people's hopes and aspirations about the team's future. It isn't bleak, but I think as fans we need to be realistic.

I concur with much that has been said. As long as the Spanos family owns the Chargers, it is a naive and baseless hope that the team will have a GM and head coach with complete autonomy. While I have not agreed with much that Critty has said -- and I certainly disagree with his analysis of Lynn, who I do believe is one of the worst coaches in the NFL -- the organizational structure does engender itself to serious fan insouciance for this reason: how great the coach or GM may be will always be muted by this FO structure. It also undermines some of the assertions that the Chargers need a "strong head coach" or a "strong personality." This FO structure at this juncture does not want that type of coach. The coaches they have hired -- Norv, McCoy, and Lynn -- show that. Turning the argument around, I do not see why a "strong personality" coach would want to take a job with the Chargers knowing they have this FO structure. That is why, if they fire Lynn, the next coach will have similar personality traits. As fans, the realistic hope then is that the next head coach does a better job with the xs and os on the field which translates to wins.

Lastly, I also think this structure all but ensures Telesco will be retained. If the structure is John Spanos making most of the personnel decisions and draft decisions, then he will not want another general manager. He presumably gets along with Telesco. Telesco is smart and apparently can work with John Spanos within this structure. Firing Telesco would only create uncertainty for John Spanos and also be a recognition he has failed in his assessment of players. There is simply no way I see the team firing Telesco.

Comment

Working...
                          X