Popper: How Can The Spanos Family Not Overhaul The Bolts Now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post
    A few years ago, I was watching the Chargers play the Colts. Rivers threw two pass completions of about 40 yards apiece. Both comletions were called back. Referees penalized Charger players on both plays for unsportsmanlike conduct

The penalties wiped at least six points off of the board for us and maybe more. Both passes would have lut us close to the end zone.

Why were penalty flags thrown?

Some Charger players uttered swear words or something. It's the first and only time I've ever seen anything like it in a football game. The penalties had the intended effect. We lost by four points. It handed the game to the Colts.

One can make some assumptions about why the refs did what they did. The Colts have a good fan base, and the NFL had an investment in Andrew Luck. They were promoting him heavily in those days. Meanwhile, the Chargers have fewer fans all of the time. Our franchises pulls in nowhere near the money for the NFL as other teams. The NFL is a business, and the objective of a business is to make its customers happy. So teams with good fan baseswill get the referees favor in close situations. Sometimes, referees will invent things to help opposing teams.

Who remembers the Ed Hochuli call? Can anyone doubt that he made that call to appease Denver fans? There are more of them than Charger fans.

It is a problem. There are many more examples. It will keep Charher fans from reaching the peak fans want.

It is a Spanos problem. He is an NFL bottom-feeder. The refs know it and treat his team accordingly. Rivers languished here, and so will Herbert because the owner could care less about cultivating fans.
    I emailed Ed Hochuli. I received a nice email from Ed and I shared it here. Ed apologized and the NFL responded by adding a new stipulation about refs and social media.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2020
      • Send PM

I just signed up to this forum -- long time lurker who had strong connections to the Chargers organization in the 1990s -- to post this YouTube link. In this video, Danny Woodhead and Matt Slauson are discussing the problems with the Chargers. Not a surprise, but it is John Spanos making football decisions. What I did not know, until this video, is that those decisions have included forcing a coach like Mike McCoy to play a certain player. This does not suggest to me that Anthony Lynn (or Mike McCoy) are decent coaches. What it makes me realize is the following: (1) Telesco is not being allowed to fully run the draft and make certain selections; (2) Telesco is likely not making head coaching hiring decisions; (3) very few great head coaches will agree to coach this team given the FO structure which includes John Spanos making personnel decisions. So to answer the question raised by Popper and in this forum? John Spanos needs to resign and the Spanos family needs to allow football people to make football decisions. In the 1980s and 1990s, Alex Spanos knew this and he let the football people take over. Dean ignoring that is extremely frustrating. The FO structure being used right now does not and will not be successful and has not been successful when it has been tried in the NFL, MLB, or the NBA (or the EPL for that matter). My hunch is that the Spanos family doesn't care, and it is simply about the money. If true, this problematic front office and the mediocrity it creates will only be cured when (and if) they sell this team.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
        I just signed up to this forum -- long time lurker who had strong connections to the Chargers organization in the 1990s -- to post this YouTube link. In this video, Danny Woodhead and Matt Slauson are discussing the problems with the Chargers. Not a surprise, but it is John Spanos making football decisions. What I did not know, until this video, is that those decisions have included forcing a coach like Mike McCoy to play a certain player. This does not suggest to me that Anthony Lynn (or Mike McCoy) are decent coaches. What it makes me realize is the following: (1) Telesco is not being allowed to fully run the draft and make certain selections; (2) Telesco is likely not making head coaching hiring decisions; (3) very few great head coaches will agree to coach this team given the FO structure which includes John Spanos making personnel decisions. So to answer the question raised by Popper and in this forum? John Spanos needs to resign and the Spanos family needs to allow football people to make football decisions. In the 1980s and 1990s, Alex Spanos knew this and he let the football people take over. Dean ignoring that is extremely frustrating. The FO structure being used right now does not and will not be successful and has not been successful when it has been tried in the NFL, MLB, or the NBA (or the EPL for that matter). My hunch is that the Spanos family doesn't care, and it is simply about the money. If true, this problematic front office and the mediocrity it creates will only be cured when (and if) they sell this team.

Hello friend!

Welcome. Terrific post and one every Charger fan and every resident in Los Angeles to see.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

It all makes sense... it is like a HC running his team with one hand tied behind his back. John Spanos probably told Lynn to make MG rb1 once he is back from his holdout. To get their money’s worth even though he was not in football shape. We all know the fumblelitis that happened afterwards. Perhaps this is also the reason they want to wait until the end of the year to do an “evaluation” since John Spanos is part of the problem why the team is failing.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
            It all makes sense... it is like a HC running his team with one hand tied behind his back. John Spanos probably told Lynn to make MG rb1 once he is back from his holdout. To get their money’s worth even though he was not in football shape. We all know the fumblelitis that happened afterwards. Perhaps this is also the reason they want to wait until the end of the year to do an “evaluation” since John Spanos is part of the problem why the team is failing.

Spanos.png

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

FLASHBACK: OCT. 7, 2016 - John Spanos announces unprecedented study of Charger injuries.

The Chargers conduct a study each offseason.They compare injury data from their team with the rest of the NFL, analyzing how they stack up in such variables as injury-type frequency. Are they …

The Chargers conduct a study each offseason.

They compare injury data from their team with the rest of the NFL, analyzing how they stack up in such variables as injury-type frequency. Are they ahead of the curve in some respects? Behind in others? They dig deeper for trends and potential explanations. Certain staff members analyze the latest exercise-science advancements to ensure players run stride for stride with modern research.

This study is done every offseason.

Except next time, it will be different.

“I can assure you this year is going to be more in-depth and thorough than ever before,” said John Spanos, president of football operations.

When it rains, it pours. And the only place in dry San Diego that appears drenched constantly is Chargers Park, where the team has lost at least one key player to a significant injury every week. Maybe it’s pure, dumb luck. But if anything else is to blame, the franchise looks to identify it.

This cannot keep happening.

Week 1: wide receiver Keenan Allen, anterior cruciate ligament tear.

Week 2: running back Danny Woodhead, ACL tear; safety Jahleel Addae, clavicular fracture.

Week 3: inside linebacker Manti Te’o, Achilles tendon tear.

Week 4: CB Jason Verrett, ACL tear.

John Spanos chose every player and the head coach in San Diego.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

John Spanos Interview, September 1st, 2016 This was how John Spanos reacted publicly to the Joey Bosa negotiations.

John Spanos told Xtra 1360 Fox Sports Radio (via ESPN.com). “Any time you’re in a tough negotiation, everything you do is a difficult decision. And let me be clear: It’s certainly never our preference to make any public comments. It’s not how we’ve operated in the past, I would say, and only [on] the rarest of occasions. In fact, I’ve probably been involved in hundreds of player negotiations and contract agreements, whether it’s helping out or leading, throughout my lifetime, and that’s the first time I’ve ever said anything public.

So that shows you how rare that is. It’s not what we prefer to do — only, I would say, when we’re forced to do it. The bottom line is if someone were to tell me that’s why we got it done, then, yeah, I would do it again, because our goal the whole time was we wanted him here. And we were going to do whatever it takes to get him here.”

Telling in how John Spanos is dealing with the currently situation, 4 years later. The Spanos Family only acts when they are forced.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  Can we edit her out and call this the three stooges? And post it where they are sure to see it?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

We’re doomed. The ownership making roster, depth chart, coaching, and being involved with football operations is the root cause of our issues as a team. Sounds like our GM and HC are titles not job descriptions.
                    Spanos clan = Jones clan without the business acumen, marketing genius, or flash/boldness but unfortunately the same on field results.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I listed to the Kaplan interview with Woodhead/Slauson - not surprised JohnBoy is too involved

Was surprised to hear from Woodhead that McCoy was locked in year 1 but years 2 -4 he thought he had less power

My guess the OL guy who was stinking was Orlando Franklin - they paid him big money

Might have more respect for McCoy without the Spanii influence.

I am sure its more prevalent in that building than it should be . John Boy has a toy and he plays fantasy football but its real games, real people.

Dean needs to make him Chief Officer of Ticking Taking and out of Football Ops

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We’re doomed. The ownership making roster, depth chart, coaching, and being involved with football operations is the root cause of our issues as a team. Sounds like our GM and HC are titles not job descriptions.
                        Spanos clan = Jones clan without the business acumen, marketing genius, or flash/boldness but unfortunately the same on field results.
                        Telesco might actually bea better GM without JonBoy in the damn room

Dean needs to realize - the team will fall into playoff berths (probably) like McCoys first year and two years ago with Lynn - but if he truly wants to WIN - he needs to take the Spanii out of Football Ops

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Telesco might actually bea better GM without JonBoy in the damn room

Dean needs to realize - the team will fall into playoff berths (probably) like McCoys first year and two years ago with Lynn - but if he truly wants to WIN - he needs to take the Spanii out of Football Ops
                          You can't do this to 100% but you can to 90%. No matter who the owner is there will be base philosophies and final say so. I can't believe our oline has sucked for this long and maybe this is a symptom of spanos pushing for glamor players versus drafting linemen. Remind me again what olinemen we drafted last year? Crickets chirping!

:cheers:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X