POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
    these are the guys that I would interview....

David Shaw
    Dave Toub
    Jim Harbaugh
    James Campen
    Pep Hamilton
    Brian Schottenheimer
    Joe Brady
    Bill Belichick
    Would add Jim Caldwell and Selah

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Would add Jim Caldwell and Selah
      I approve this message

How about this scenario:
      Saleh
      he hires one of the staff from 49ers LaFleur or McDaniel
      hires Jim Caldwell as his mentor type Asst Head Ball Coach.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I approve this message

How about this scenario:
        Saleh
        he hires one of the staff from 49ers LaFleur or McDaniel
        hires Jim Caldwell as his mentor type Asst Head Ball Coach.
        I can live with this. Though to be devil’s advocate, why make the exception for a first timer like Saleh who runs the same defense as Bradley’s?

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I can live with this. Though to be devil’s advocate, why make the exception for a first timer like Saleh who runs the same defense as Bradley’s?
          IMO, the reason Bradley's Cover 3 scheme has largely failed, is because that Cover 3 shell must have an Eraser at the position. The Eraser is a S/LB hybrid, who has a single high safety behind with exceptional range. See Cam Chancellor & Derwin James. That, and Gus admits the Chargers don't have enough talent at the position to play man.

Bottomline: Scheme has failed two seasons due to injury at the most important piece of Gus's secondary zone concept.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

IMO, the reason Bradley's Cover 3 scheme has largely failed, is because that Cover 3 shell must have an Eraser at the position. The Eraser is a S/LB hybrid, who has a single high safety behind with exceptional range. See Cam Chancellor & Derwin James. That, and Gus admits the Chargers don't have enough talent at the position to play man.

Bottomline: Scheme has failed two seasons due to injury at the most important piece of Gus's secondary zone concept.
            Is this why Saleh would be a bad fit then?

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Is this why Saleh would be a bad fit then?
              I really have no position on Robert Saleh. I prefer a 3-4 as does Bill Belichick, Wade Phillips, and Vic Fangio. It allows such much more flexibility in your fronts. And, OLB are much easier to find than 4-3 defensive ends. Robert Saleh runs a 4-3 and I've little interest in that scheme.

Robert Saleh's not on my short or long list for HC, TBH. I am a firm believer that either Eric B in KC or Dave Taub or Arthur Smith for HC. I also love, love Vic Fangio and would take him and assume his salary off-set, if he is let go by John Elway in Denver. I understand I maybe alone in my enthusiasm for Vic Fangio's defense, but he's the real deal.

Vic Fangio's brought #1 ranked defenses in the league to two different franchises, San Francisco and Chicago, since 2011. Pep and Shane Steichen handle QB coaching & OC and Herbert at QB, and the offense. Vic handles the Chargers defense.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I really have no position on Robert Saleh. I prefer a 3-4 as does Bill Belichick, Wade Phillips, and Vic Fangio. It allows such much more flexibility in your fronts. And, OLB are much easier to find than 4-3 defensive ends. Robert Saleh runs a 4-3 and I've little interest in that scheme.

Robert Saleh's not on my short or long list for HC, TBH. I am a firm believer that either Eric B in KC or Dave Taub or Arthur Smith for HC. I also love, love Vic Fangio and would take him and assume his salary off-set, if he is let go by John Elway in Denver. I understand I maybe alone in my enthusiasm for Vic Fangio's defense, but he's the real deal.

Vic Fangio's brought #1 ranked defenses in the league to two different franchises, San Francisco and Chicago, since 2011. Pep and Shane Steichen handle QB coaching & OC and Herbert at QB, and the offense. Vic handles the Chargers defense.
                Wade and Vic run the 3-4, though different variations of it. I’m not sure what Belichick runs anymore. It’s what makes him so great. He’s constantly changing his scheme to fit his needs. It was a two gap 34 in his earlier years. Then it morphed to a 43. Now it’s a weird amoeba defense.

I like Fangio as well and prefer him over Wade. But I doubt Elway let’s it happen. Maybe the GM that replaces Elway after this year.

Arthur Smith is interesting though I do wonder if he can do the same here without a Derrick Henry to help set up so many play action passes.

Edit: the only advantage with Saleh is that he’s familiar with our defensive scheme and could make it work better than Bradley given that the Niners have worse injuries than we do, and are still competent on defense.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Wade and Vic run the 3-4, though different variations of it. I’m not sure what Belichick runs anymore. It’s what makes him so great. He’s constantly changing his scheme to fit his needs. It was a two gap 34 in his earlier years. Then it morphed to a 43. Now it’s a weird amoeba defense.

I like Fangio as well and prefer him over Wade. But I doubt Elway let’s it happen. Maybe the GM that replaces Elway after this year.

Arthur Smith is interesting though I do wonder if he can do the same here without a Derrick Henry to help set up so many play action passes.

Edit: the only advantage with Saleh is that he’s familiar with our defensive scheme and could make it work better than Bradley given that the Niners have worse injuries than we do, and are still competent on defense.
                  I thought Fangio was a solid hire by the Broncos - maybe they have a problem at GM

As for the Chargers - before this Bills game, a lot of the talk on Twitter, here and even Popper was the Chargers need to find an offensive guy, if Lynn is fired, so that maturation of Herbert continues. When in all reality, you have to give him credit, meaning Lynn along with STeichen and Pep - Herbert has improved. But where the Chargers are lacking is game management, clock management, etc.

So who knows if any of these coaching whiz bang Offense types (ARthur Smith, Joe Brady) or even Saleh, Eberflus are ready for that part of the job. And that is really what the Chargers need

Sure they need to improve Special Teams a helluva lot; get better on defense - but jeez - better coaching so it doesn't matter if offense, defense, whatever - get a better game day coach. Period.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I thought Fangio was a solid hire by the Broncos - maybe they have a problem at GM

As for the Chargers - before this Bills game, a lot of the talk on Twitter, here and even Popper was the Chargers need to find an offensive guy, if Lynn is fired, so that maturation of Herbert continues. When in all reality, you have to give him credit, meaning Lynn along with STeichen and Pep - Herbert has improved. But where the Chargers are lacking is game management, clock management, etc.

So who knows if any of these coaching whiz bang Offense types (ARthur Smith, Joe Brady) or even Saleh, Eberflus are ready for that part of the job. And that is really what the Chargers need

Sure they need to improve Special Teams a helluva lot; get better on defense - but jeez - better coaching so it doesn't matter if offense, defense, whatever - get a better game day coach. Period.
                    I do give Lynn and company for developing Herbert despite a truncated offseason. I also think Lynn is a good leader that has managed to keep the locker room together. Our next HC will hopefully have those same qualities while being exponentially better at time management on game day and less conservative.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I do give Lynn and company for developing Herbert despite a truncated offseason. I also think Lynn is a good leader that has managed to keep the locker room together. Our next HC will hopefully have those same qualities while being exponentially better at time management on game day and less conservative.
                      Its too bad Lynn has been so bad at the game day coaching aspect. You see a guy like Rivera who changed and became Riverboat Ron and the results showed in Carolina. Sadly, I am not sure the Chargers can take a chance on Lynn again unless these last 5 games were to show a drastic improvement in those areas. Meaning "gameday coach". But even than - would it carry over to next year. Which you don't want it to be fluff now with the season over. Its easy to go for it on 4th down now, go for 2 if you open the game up 6-0

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Popper's choices again in case anyone wants to see them. As already mentioned, he likes the offensive guys. And I understand why since Herbert needs stability in an offensive scheme. If your OC does well with a QB, he can get hired as HC the next year. Sort of like what will happen with Arthur Smith possibly. Also, the NFL is now an offensive league and defense is a dying brand.

guess of his choices: I like Matt Campbell and then Bieniemy. Arthur Smith is interesting but I do wonder if he can have success without a power running game and Derrick Henry. Harbaugh might work for a few years but I hear that the game has passed him by. Joe Brady is super intriguing to me but I wouldn't want to hire him until he has at least another season under his belt.

Popper.PNG

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Bruce Arians will be added once Tom finally kicks him out of Tompa
                          2024: Far From Over

Comment

Working...
                          X