Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Week 9 vs LVR)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Week 9 vs LVR)

G'Day fellow diehards. Happy hump day
    This week we witnessed another heartbreaking loss causing many fans to start calling for heads to roll. I understand the frustration and hope I can bring some silver lining to this dark and stormy cloud. Watching film has opened my eyes to sublties of this beautiful game and i wish to share some of those sublties with you.

My apologies for the bad resolution, its like watching thru a screen door. Not sure if its my aussie internet or NFL needed their HD cameras for an NFC east game.:shrug: Like a coach, I do the best I can with what I got.

The Good:
    This is 2-part play
    Football is about matchups and "The game within the Game" so this weeks good play comes from a great setup from early in the 1st Q.
    Setup:
    1st Q 4:35 clock
    Charger ball 1st and 10 on 19yard line. Here we see Chargers align with 3 wide left and RB in shotgun. Herbert runs an option play and keeps the ball for minimal gain. Remember this is the setup play.

Payoff:
    4th Q. 1:25 clock
    Charger ball 4th and 1 on 49yrd line. Here we see Chargers needing a big 1st down to keep drive alive and a chance to win. Chargers in shotgun again with 2xWR and TE in bunch formation left. This forces the def to cover that half heavily. Herbert runs another option and this time draws the defender and give the ball to Ballage for easy 1st down.

I am impressed with this play and know we will see it more in future games

The Bad:
    1st Q 4:55 clock
    Raider ball at 23yrd line. Raiders run right from shotgun formation with excellent pulling and blocking. Tillery playing from Bosa's position hjas a chance to make the stop for a loss. Davis slid inside to cover the TE and got caught in wash. Jenkins does not recognize the play until the RB is outside the hash marks and gaining speed to get outside the numbers. Adderly looks like he expects someone else to make the play and jogs across the field.

The Ugly:
    Yeah it hurts to poke this one.
    4th Q 9:04 clock.
    Chargers 2pt attempt.
    Allen motions all over the place. It looks like he is double teamed or maybe the LVR cb makes a good adjustment. There is no room and everyone is covered. Tyrod tries his best to make a play but there is nothing there. He did have a small widow to hit Guyton scrambling in the end zone. Knowing Guyton will try to make something of nothing lessens the sting a little. Maybe, just maybe in future he will.

Honorable Mention:
    2nd Q 0:27 clock.
    Charger ball 2nd and 9 on 27yrd line
    This TOUCHDOWN is a result of teams watching film and adjusting for Herbert - Guyton long bombs. You can clearly see the defender drop Allen to pickup Guyton leaving Allen open for easy catch. I like it alot, and hope to see more. Look for DB's to hesitate, take missteps and blown coverages in future games as they try to guess where the ball is goin. It will be exciting.

Losing sucks. Nobody likes it. Losing in record and specatcular fashion is more salt on the wounds. Watch some film, know we have a stud QB, up and coming playcaller and when some healthy stars return we can see some reward.

• CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

The second option play made me cringe a little bit... JH’s leg got hit real hard on the play.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      This week we witnessed another heartbreaking loss causing many fans to start calling for heads to roll. I understand the frustration and hope I can bring some silver lining to this dark and stormy cloud. Watching film has opened my eyes to sublties of this beautiful game and i wish to share some of those sublties with you.

My apologies for the bad resolution, its like watching thru a screen door. Not sure if its my aussie internet or NFL needed their HD cameras for an NFC east game.:shrug: Like a coach, I do the best I can with what I got.

The Good:
      This is 2-part play
      Football is about matchups and "The game within the Game" so this weeks good play comes from a great setup from early in the 1st Q.
      Setup:
      Charger ball 1st and 10 on 19yard line. Here we see Chargers align with 3 wide left and RB in shotgun. Herbert runs an option play and keeps the ball for minimal gain. Remember this is the setup play.

Payoff:
      Charger ball 4th and 1 on 49yrd line. Here we see Chargers needing a big 1st down to keep drive alive and a chance to win. Chargers in shotgun again with 2xWR and TE in bunch formation left. This forces the def to cover that half heavily. Herbert runs another option and this time draws the defender and give the ball to Ballage for easy 1st down.

The Bad:
      Raider ball at 23yrd line. Raiders run right from shotgun formation with excellent pulling and blocking. Tillery playing from Bosa's position hjas a chance to make the stop for a loss. Davis slid inside to cover the TE and got caught in wash. Jenkins does not recognize the play until the RB is outside the hash marks and gaining speed to get outside the numbers. Adderly looks like he expects someone else to make the play and jogs across the field.

The Ugly:
      Chargers 2pt attempt.
      Allen motions all over the place. It looks like he is double teamed or maybe the LVR cb makes a good adjustment. There is no room and everyone is covered. Tyrod tries his best to make a play but there is nothing there. He did have a small widow to hit Guyton scrambling in the end zone. Knowing Guyton will try to make something of nothing lessens the sting a little. Maybe, just maybe in future he will.

Honorable Mention:
      This TOUCHDOWN is a result of teams watching film and adjusting for Herbert - Guyton long bombs. You can clearly see the defender drop Allen to pickup Guyton leaving Allen open for easy catch. I like it alot, and hope to see more. Look for DB's to hesitate, take missteps and blown coverages in future games as they try to guess where the ball is goin. It will be exciting.

Losing sucks. Nobody likes it. Losing in record and specatcular fashion is more salt on the wounds. Watch some film, know we have a stud QB, up and coming playcaller and when some healthy stars return we can see some reward.
      Good work, Chilli. Having Herbie to run the option adds a whole new dimension. I just hope he avoids contact as much as possible by pulling up and sliding, or running out of bounds. Haven't seen the pitch out much since the old LT days. And it would be nice if we could also work in, on occasion, the pitchout and then running back pass, like LT used to do...unless Lynn is saving that play for the playoffs...

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

The Good:
        This is 2-part play
        Setup:

Payoff:

The Bad:

The Ugly:
        Chargers 2pt attempt.

Honorable Mention:

Again, I appreciate the effort but disagree with the takes.

I do not think it is "good" that we risked a potential TD drive to call a first down QB run for three yards to set up another short run later in the game if that was the thinking. The opton that we ran to Ballage was unique. It did not need a set up play. There were other options on 4th down and less than one yard to go as well.

Your discussion of the "ugly" misses the ugliest part--Lynn failed to call timeout to get Herbert back into the game to run an important, potentially game tying two point conversion in the 4th quarter and instead chose to run it with a QB whose rating is nearly 30 points lower. It is difficult to complain about a coach not having the players to win if the coach refuses to do what is necessary to get the needed players in the game.

One of the biggest complaints against Taylor is that he holds the ball. On the initial read, Allen is covered, but Guyton reverse pivots and walls off his defender at the 11 second mark. Inexplicably, Taylor has already abandoned all of the receivers and can be seen looking to the left at that moment where there are no receivers for a possible path to run.

Then, later in the play, Guyton tracks back to the other side of the field and is only receiver in position to make a play. At the 14-15 second mark, Guyton becomes open with the defender trailing him.

With another chance to throw to Guyton, Taylor again does not release the ball, choosing to get sacked instead. I think there is a good chance (better than 50%) that Herbert would have made either of those throws to Guyton effectively for the two point conversion. Though not the easiest of plays, those are plays that a good QB with his head up and surveying the receivers in front of him will make. Throwing lanes were there for both passes on that play.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
          The second option play made me cringe a little bit... JH’s leg got hit real hard on the play.
          yeah it looked like that defender was purposefully trying to go low on Herbert. I also cringed when I saw that from the backside cuz it looked like he was cut at the knee, but watching from coach's film looked like he got hit mid thigh. still a nasty shot and Herbert must do better to not take such hits.

And thx for the breakdowns NMC.

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

yeah it looked like that defender was purposefully trying to go low on Herbert. I also cringed when I saw that from the backside cuz it looked like he was cut at the knee, but watching from coach's film looked like he got hit mid thigh. still a nasty shot and Herbert must do better to not take such hits.

And thx for the breakdowns NMC.
            I don’t think JH expected the defender to be there that quick. I’m just worried about his shoe getting stuck on the turf before the hit.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I don’t think JH expected the defender to be there that quick. I’m just worried about his shoe getting stuck on the turf before the hit.
              also what I fear...especially hearing about the turf at SoFi. And why they have turf in a socal stadium?...not that we have lotsa sun and whatnot!

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Hmmmm I think O line.Block and protect our future.

Comment

Working...
                X