Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I'm not arguing whether he would be valuable to the team in the next season. However, if there was mutual agreement that the best situation for both player and team was to stay on IR, the doctors could hold off on that judgement (wink, wink). I don't think there is was a falling out, the Chargers probably feel that Palepoi was more than sufficient to replace Geathers. The team was awfully quick on putting him on IR when the word was that his injury wasn't that bad. I was half joking that he might get picked up by the Ravens, but they collect NTs like Jim Harbaugh collects QBs, on the other hand it is too late for him to get into football shape to be valuable for any team for the regular season.
    The problem with this idea is that no player or agent would ever go for it because it would mean less money and other benefits. How? A player on IR does not accrue games towards an accrued or credited season. Accrued seasons affect FA status and credited seasons affect the following: minimum salaries, workers’ comp, retirement plan, savings plan, player annuity plan, tuition assistance plan, severance pay, disability, long term care insurance, health reimbursement plan, former player life improvement plan, and neuro-cognitive disability benefit. (source) Why would Geathers or his agent ever agree to risk all that? And even if they wanted to, why would the Players Association turn a blind eye?

No, the player's side and the team both make their own independent evaluations, and when a player is deemed fit enough to play, he must be waived. There really is absolutely no wiggle room on this. The only choice the Chargers ever had in this matter was whether or not to place him on IR, not whether or not to release him from IR, and clearly they felt they needed the roster spot more than they needed Geathers during this season.
    Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I understand what you say the CBA says. It's rare for a player that goes on IR, minor injury or not, to get waived if there is perceived value going forward. Geathers was on contract for 2015. He couldn't play for the Chargers this season, but its highly unlikely for a DL with no playing time in season, and no record of past performance will get picked up for this season off waivers. (Watch me be wrong!) He's obviously marginal in the Chargers plans, and yes, they dumped his salary and get an open spot on the 90 man to fill with a new prospect. We don't know this, but I'm guessing is that he didn't keep up with conditioning in his rehab, and evaluated him off the roster, and Geathers didn't fight for his job.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Send PM

I understand what you say the CBA says. It's rare for a player that goes on IR, minor injury or not, to get waived if there is perceived value going forward. Geathers was on contract for 2015. He couldn't play for the Chargers this season, but its highly unlikely for a DL with no playing time in season, and no record of past performance will get picked up for this season off waivers. (Watch me be wrong!) He's obviously marginal in the Chargers plans, and yes, they dumped his salary and get an open spot on the 90 man to fill with a new prospect. We don't know this, but I'm guessing is that he didn't keep up with conditioning in his rehab, and evaluated him off the roster, and Geathers didn't fight for his job.
        Actually, it happens every season around the NFL. In fact, if I recall correctly, it happened with us last year. We had a lengthy discussion about it then.

If the player's perceived value is high enough, they simply keep him on the roster, not IR. IR is not a place for stashing players. Doing so is called cheating and has legal ramifications.

When a team places someone on IR, it has to designate minor injury (6-week or less recover) or major injury. A player designated minor injury must be released. But you had better believe there would be a major shit storm if a player were designated major with a minor! Remember all the brouhaha over the Patriots not placing players on the injury report a few years ago? This would be a much bigger scandal, possibly costing us draft picks.

And I will repeat this bit again: It keeps getting reported that Geathers couldn't play for the Chargers again this season, but that is not accurate. Once he is released, he goes through the waiver process. If he clears that, he is free to sign with any team except the Chargers. If, after the term of the settlement or 6 weeks if there is no settlement, no one has signed him, the Chargers can re-sign him and he can play again for the Chargers that season. Of course, in Geathers' case, since the Chargers waited until now to cut him, the soonest they could sign him is for the AFC Championship, and if we get that far, I doubt we're desperate for a developmental DT.
        Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I gotcha, Panama. I hope they gave Geathers a parting gift out the door... a turkey or something. I hate to see anyone lose their job without a fighting chance, we still need help in the middle of the DL, and being the the middle of the pack as far as drafting goes, its hard to fill that spot. Clearly, Geathers is not the future answer, maybe Caruthers is, but we don't know, and Ricardo Mathews and Palepoi are adequate rotation guys, probably no more than that. I won't cry for the ideal NT in the next draft... but I wish there was a magic solution to the softness in the middle.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Who's geathers?

Comment

• SFW
              PB Official Game Thread Starter
              • Jul 2013
              • NY
              • USMC
              • Send PM

I gotcha, Panama. I hope they gave Geathers a parting gift out the door... a turkey or something. I hate to see anyone lose their job without a fighting chance, we still need help in the middle of the DL, and being the the middle of the pack as far as drafting goes, its hard to fill that spot. Clearly, Geathers is not the future answer, maybe Caruthers is, but we don't know, and Ricardo Mathews and Palepoi are adequate rotation guys, probably no more than that. I won't cry for the ideal NT in the next draft... but I wish there was a magic solution to the softness in the middle.
              The gift might be that he was given his release so he could get the chance to play this season. It isn't beyond the possibility that Geathers was the one that actually asked for his release so he can try to play this season.
              1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
              2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
              3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
              4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
              5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
              6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
              7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Who's geathers?
                He's the guy Stinky keeps calling Gaither.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Not sure why posters are getting upset over cutting a udfa who showed little during 2 preseasons a here. At least Polepoi can play 2 positions.

Carethers won the NT job.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Sun Valley, ID
                    • Send PM

Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe is another DT on IR. Like Palepoi he can play two positions and often did at Boise State. They must have seen something they liked to IR an UDFA. Now that I've said that, he'll probably be the next to go.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                      Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe is another DT on IR. Like Palepoi he can play two positions and often did at Boise State. They must have seen something they liked to IR an UDFA. Now that I've said that, he'll probably be the next to go.
                      Yeah, thanks for jinxing us.
                      Just watch out whose Tjoes you step on.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

He's too tall.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          Not sure why posters are getting upset over cutting a udfa who showed little during 2 preseasons a here.
                          Posters? Plural?
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X