• Send PM

See ya Geathers

Chargers cut Kwame Geathers from injured reserve
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He must be healthy enough to sign with another team now...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

All healed up from the last singeing
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Not to be too critical of Telesco, but I feel compelled to ask, "What in the holy fuck are we doing?!!!!"

If Geathers really is healthy, then why not get his big behind onto our roster and into some games for us?!!! There is no way that he is not better than Palepoi.

Okay, I am sure Telesco has his reasons for this decision, but I have to admit that I am not seeing his strategy at this point. Lissemore is doing okay at best and Carrethers is injured. It seems like we could really use a healthy big man in the middle at NT.

I am frustrated by this because we keep getting rid of our NTs and NT depth to the point that we are using a 3-4 DE at NT. Would somebody please help talk me down from the proverbial ledge here by explaining what the thinking is behind this move?!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Smaller faster DT's and DE's is what he is thinking... Also Gaither was IRed, we can not put him back on the roster. The njury settlement allows him to get picked up by a team and play this year. If he is not signed to a multi year deal we can allow him to get playing time with another team and pick him back up in the offseason if we like him. The converse would be keeping him on IR when healthy and not allowing him to practice with any team till after the season. This is better for him and hopefully better for us long term if we get him back.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            Smaller faster DT's and DE's is what he is thinking... Also Gaither was IRed, we can not put him back on the roster. The njury settlement allows him to get picked up by a team and play this year. If he is not signed to a multi year deal we can allow him to get playing time with another team and pick him back up in the offseason if we like him. The converse would be keeping him on IR when healthy and not allowing him to practice with any team till after the season. This is better for him and hopefully better for us long term if we get him back.
            Oh, of course, he was IRed, not PUPed. He got injured in a preseason game. Duh! Okay, now I feel like an idiot for that rant. Nevermind what I just said above and thanks for pointing that out to me. Apparently, I needed that clarification. Sheesh!

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
              Not to be too critical of Telesco, but I feel compelled to ask, "What in the holy fuck are we doing?!!!!"

If Geathers really is healthy, then why not get his big behind onto our roster and into some games for us?!!! There is no way that he is not better than Palepoi.

Okay, I am sure Telesco has his reasons for this decision, but I have to admit that I am not seeing his strategy at this point. Lissemore is doing okay at best and Carrethers is injured. It seems like we could really use a healthy big man in the middle at NT.

I am frustrated by this because we keep getting rid of our NTs and NT depth to the point that we are using a 3-4 DE at NT. Would somebody please help talk me down from the proverbial ledge here by explaining what the thinking is behind this move?!
              Why not brush up on the rules, Yuba? It's all out there on the internet to read, and it has even been discussed on this board at length.

First, Geathers was on the regular IR, not the IR with designation to return. A team can only designate one player for return each season, so placing Geathers on IR effectively ended his season.

Second, if you recall, at the time we were all under the impression that we had dodged a bullet and that Geathers injury was not that serious. Clearly, Geathers was placed on IR with a minor injury designation. Under league rules, such a player must be released when he is determined to be healthy enough to play. So, there's Telesco's thinking in a nutshell: he had no choice, his hands were tied.

But then why place Geathers on the IR if you know you'll have to release him because his injury is not severe enough? Could be any number of reasons. Placing him on IR frees up a much needed roster spot, and with all the injuries we've had we needed a spot. And perhaps Telesco recognizes what you still won't accept, that in today's game the role of NT is greatly diminished, and players like Geathers are a dime a dozen.

If Geathers doesn't sign elsewhere, there's nothing to stop the Chargers from being him back next season. But there's no guarantee he'd make the roster, as Lissemore is the clear starter, Carrethers has progressed in leaps and bounds, Palepoi is not as bad as you like to think, and Mathews can play the position well.

Heck, there's even one other possibility: The only way Geathers could possibly play for the Chargers this year is if they release him as soon as he is healthy. If he clear waivers and no other team signs him, then the Chargers can re-sign him after, I believe, 6 weeks. So, if we make it deep into the playoffs and suddenly need help at DT, I believe we would be allowed to re-sign him.

So, step off the ledge, Yuba. Chargers are only doing what they have to as agreed in the CBA and the only action they could take if they have any interest in playing Geathers again this season. This move should please you, not piss you off.
              Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

Wait, did he agree to an injury settlement? There's a huge difference in whether he agreed to a settlement or was released without one.
                Adipose

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post

Okay, I am sure Telesco has his reasons for this decision, but I have to admit that I am not seeing his strategy at this point. Would somebody please help talk me down from the proverbial ledge here by explaining what the thinking is behind this move?!
                  Sure...Telesco cuts DT's and heads to thepowderblues.com to see your reaction
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Watch the Raven waive T. Cody and sign Geathers. Of course they will sign Cason before. It's what they do... defense poachers.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      Wait, did he agree to an injury settlement? There's a huge difference in whether he agreed to a settlement or was released without one.

Well Mr Strump, iirc an injury settlement needs to be accepted by the player to allow the team to release him.

Leave Yubba alone on this cause if the thread goes to shit its my fault!
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Well Mr Strump, iirc an injury settlement needs to be accepted by the player to allow the team to release him.

Leave Yubba alone on this cause if the thread goes to shit its my fault!
                        (1) I'm not even remotely attacking Yuba. He asked for an explanation, and I gave it to him.

(2) The reason it is important whether there was an injury settlement is it affects how soon the Chargers would be allowed to-resign him if they wanted to. If there's a settlement, could be sooner.
                        Adipose

Comment

Working...
                        X