• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

The screen game and run game slow down a pass rush. The o-line isn't that good to go pass happy.

You think these other coaches would be doing significantly different things. They would not be.

Reid would throw even more screen. Belicheat would run the ball even more with plenty of screen game. Payton would be doing almost exactly what Lynn and staff are doing with the game plan. So would Shanahan or Tomlin or Vrabel. The difference is in your opinion. Not the reality.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Seriously. Go watch Kansas City play.
      35 of 40 pass attempts are short passes with a higher percentage of screen passes than what Herbert is doing.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I think you opinion is biased against what is really going on.

Brady top 3 yard per attempt games is 12.89, 8.74, 8.67 The 12.89 was this last game and it's his only game in double digits.

Herbert top 3 yard per attempt games is
        11.60, 9.81, 9.42

Over the course of the season they are Brady 7.5 and Herbert 7.1 less then a half yard difference per attempt.

I'm trying to go see every throw. And count the ones intentionally designed to be primary throw at or below line of scrimmage.

I found two games so far. But it looks like it isn't to the level you are claiming. Atlanta and KC. And I counted 16 of 77 passes that were designed to be at or below line of scrimmage. Any other short throw was a check down.
        Leaving 61 passes where the design was to pass it past the line of scrimmage. Just 2 games. But that is 8 out of every 10 passes design to go past line of scrimmage. And again the team is 60/40 pass to run ratio.

BTW nobody throws more passes behind line of scrimmage than Reid and Mahomes. So the thing you complain about would be happening even more of Reid was the HC. He loves the screen game. Avg more than any HC in the league.

So it not the play call it's the execution that really matters.

Critty - You're a cool dude but you just aren't understanding my points. Maybe it's me.

You can't state that Reid loves the screen game and hold that up as a marker for us. Why not? Cause we're not the Chiefs. We do not have the same success with our screen game that he does.

The main point to all of this is - whatever your team is good at...DO THAT AND DO IT MORE OFTEN THAN YOU DO THE STUFF YOU AREN'T GOOD AT.

We suck at running the ball. So, do it less.

We suck at FGs. So, go for it more on 4th down.

We are great at passing. So, pass more often. I didn't say "deep passes" (as you always interpret it that way). But pass more, beyond the line of scrimmage. That could be 5 - 10 yards. Whatever. Just pass the damn ball more than we currently are.

Be like the coaches that play to their strengths.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Why do our idiot DBs always try to run back an INT out of the endzone???

Sigh.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Bolt-O commented
            Editing a comment
            wrong thread.
        • BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

The screen game and run game slow down a pass rush.
          Critty - you aren't teaching us anything new. WE ALL UNDERSTAND THIS COMPLETELY.

Hey, guess what, conversely, the pass game opens up the run game. Did you know that fact?

But I think we're at an impasse as I no longer think you're actually hearing my point (as you set up these little straw men arguments).

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Critty - You're a cool dude but you just aren't understanding my points. Maybe it's me.

You can't state that Reid loves the screen game and hold that up as a marker for us. Why not? Cause we're not the Chiefs. We do not have the same success with our screen game that he does.

The main point to all of this is - whatever your team is good at...DO THAT AND DO IT MORE OFTEN THAN YOU DO THE STUFF YOU AREN'T GOOD AT.

We suck at running the ball. So, do it less.

We suck at FGs. So, go for it more on 4th down.

We are great at passing. So, pass more often. I didn't say "deep passes" (as you always interpret it that way). But pass more, beyond the line of scrimmage. That could be 5 - 10 yards. Whatever. Just pass the damn ball more than we currently are.

Be like the coaches that play to their strengths.
            I hear you, but I think The issue is more of execution and talent than play call. I think they are trying to make Herbert the offense. He is a rookie though.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

I hear you, but I think The issue is more of execution and talent than play call. I think they are trying to make Herbert the offense. He is a rookie though.
              Yes. It is talent. We don't have the talent to run the ball as much as we try to.

That is my point. So let's pass more. Real passes.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Yes. It is talent. We don't have the talent to run the ball as much as we try to.

That is my point. So let's pass more. Real passes.
                They just did. 1st down play action. 2md down and 3rd down pass plays past line of scrimmage. Didn't work. Punt.

But I'm fine with those calls. I like it. Got to execute it or the play call doesn't matter.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

They just did. 1st down play action. 2md down and 3rd down pass plays past line of scrimmage. Didn't work. Punt.

But I'm fine with those calls. I like it. Got to execute it or the play call doesn't matter.
                  Yes. More of that. Yup yup yup!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Clock management still sucks - right before half
                    run -- no timeout
                    pass - no timeout
                    another pass - time out

over a minute off the clock before he used a time out.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                      Clock management still sucks - right before half
                      run -- no timeout
                      pass - no timeout
                      another pass - time out

over a minute off the clock before he used a time out.
                      I didn't think it was a big deal. You stop clock you use a timeout. You don't stop clock and you still have the timeout to use later.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I didn't think it was a big deal. You stop clock you use a timeout. You don't stop clock and you still have the timeout to use later.
                        Are you trying to win the game or not lose it

you don't carry time outs over

Lynn got lucky that the Broncos WR Jeudy had the drops today. Lynn should be fired tomorrow
                        He will probably get an extension

Comment

Working...
                        X