• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I don't know their percentage. The eyeball test says it's low. It's certainly low to begin games.

I assume you have the numbers?
    I can't seem to find them. I found 2018
    And they ranked 20th but with 2nd best results.
    So it would match up with your point. It seems to work so why not do a few more. The results my not be as good because as teams recognize Chargers are doing it more.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      BayAreaBoltz

Below was my thoughts from last year's wish list thread.
      A new GM, new personnel director. And analytics evaluator.
      And new OC. Bieniemy would call a different game than Steichen. But here is the thing, Eric is also a former RB. Are you okay with a former RB as the OC. Eric was a Charger. Would you be okay if Eric was hired to replace Lynn as HC.

General Manager: Joe Horitz
      Sr. Director of Player Personnel: Tim Terry

Sr. Director of Player Evaluations & Analytics: Corey Krawiec

Head Coach: Anthony Lynn

Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy

Defensive Coordinator: Gus Bradley

Quarterback: Joe Burrow

Any other Free Agent you want?: A.Castonzo-LT, J.Conklin-RT, B.Scherff-RG

Resign: Hunter Henry-TE
      I do NOT want Bieniemy as our head coach. I didn't want McCoy either. I was fully aware that McCoy (and, now, Bieniemy) are not truly running the successful offense they are "in charge" of. I want a real OC or DC who is scheming successfully on their own and not just as a placeholder of the title while their head coach calls the plays.

And I don't want Josh McDaniels either.

I want a coach who can proactively scheme and is aggressive, dictating the game. A coach who has the respect of his players and who has his team prepared in all three phases.

I'm intrigued by Selah and Daboll.

But I'm ready to move on from Lynn.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

BayAreaBoltz

Below was my thoughts from last year's wish list thread.
        A new GM, new personnel director. And analytics evaluator.
        And new OC. Bieniemy would call a different game than Steichen. But here is the thing, Eric is also a former RB. Are you okay with a former RB as the OC. Eric was a Charger. Would you be okay if Eric was hired to replace Lynn as HC.

General Manager: Joe Horitz
        Sr. Director of Player Personnel: Tim Terry

Sr. Director of Player Evaluations & Analytics: Corey Krawiec

Head Coach: Anthony Lynn

Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach: Eric Bieniemy

Defensive Coordinator: Gus Bradley

Quarterback: Joe Burrow

Any other Free Agent you want?: A.Castonzo-LT, J.Conklin-RT, B.Scherff-RG

Resign: Hunter Henry-TE
        A No from me.

Comment

• bartman83642
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Rivers is not great at taking what defense gives him.
          your stats don't prove that.

And River himself admits he needed to find the balance between aggressive and stupid.

Its not an intelligence thing. Its quite simple. I never claim he did not use short passes. So your contention that he indeed does and show stats of how many throws to RB refutes nothing in terms of my point about taking what defense gives him. There is no nuance. My point was very clearly about what Rivers himself admitted. He sometimes tries to do too much. And doing too much is not taking what the defense gives you.

Happy Holidays.
          Yes, he is and my stats support that, along with the other huge portion of the games we have watched. And if you watched them as you said you have witnessed it as well as other fans, fans of other teams, announcers etc. as I stated before.

As far as the Rivers quote though you really didn't provide the whole context of his interview now, did you? The part of the quote you had provided previously where he said "really, just last year more than anything." indicating he was pretty much referring to just last year. Also in the same interview where referring to plenty of other plays throughout last year "where we'll come out of there feeling optimistic that we can have a heck of a year this year, which I know we can." Yeah, it indicates that he knows he has taken care of the ball showing he knows there were still plenty of plays to feel good about last year.

How about the other quote from the same interview "I think the biggest thing for me is to be myself," Rivers said of moving on to 2020. "But also, find that sweet spot again, from aggressiveness to stupid, and know what kind of game it is and how the whole thing's coming together, and certainly have done that throughout my career in different years and different times, and don't see any reason why I can't do that again." And yes, while he is sometimes aggressive like he said sometimes is not most of the time and the rest of his quote(s) sums up that he believes he has taken care of the ball during his career. And if that is the case most of the time he has been taking what the D gives him. Don't you believe Phil himself?

Again, Happy Holidays to you as well.

Comment

• bartman83642
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I get you thinking they need take some shots on 1st down.

What is their percentage of play action.

Where do they rank?

I am not sure if you wanted play action overall. I did find that. Currently showing 120 play actions out of 563 attempts. So far haven't found a percentage for play action by downs though.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

Yes, he is and my stats support that, along with the other huge portion of the games we have watched. And if you watched them as you said you have witnessed it as well as other fans, fans of other teams, announcers etc. as I stated before.

As far as the Rivers quote though you really didn't provide the whole context of his interview now, did you? The part of the quote you had provided previously where he said "really, just last year more than anything." indicating he was pretty much referring to just last year. Also in the same interview where referring to plenty of other plays throughout last year "where we'll come out of there feeling optimistic that we can have a heck of a year this year, which I know we can." Yeah, it indicates that he knows he has taken care of the ball showing he knows there were still plenty of plays to feel good about last year.

How about the other quote from the same interview "I think the biggest thing for me is to be myself," Rivers said of moving on to 2020. "But also, find that sweet spot again, from aggressiveness to stupid, and know what kind of game it is and how the whole thing's coming together, and certainly have done that throughout my career in different years and different times, and don't see any reason why I can't do that again." And yes, while he is sometimes aggressive like he said sometimes is not most of the time and the rest of his quote(s) sums up that he believes he has taken care of the ball during his career. And if that is the case most of the time he has been taking what the D gives him. Don't you believe Phil himself?

Again, Happy Holidays to you as well.
              I agree with everything Rivers said about his own play.
              It is what I was saying about him. He would be too aggressive. Do too much. I always thought he played his best football when he found that sweet spot he talked about. But since he was going to be turning 39, it was time to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

The play of the OL and overall team talent was why the 2017 and 2018 team were better? Let me guess they were better in spite of Lynn. Right?

River had his best int percentage under Lynn.
                Rivers had his 2nd best TD percentage under Lynn.
                In spite of Lynn. Am I exactly right?

Sounds really contradictory to me. Anything to discredit Lynn and keep him in your narrative of worst coach in NFL history. Right?

:smh:

Literally
                :wtfrudoing:
                ​​​​
                I would not say that Rivers' 2017 and 2018 results were either in spite of or because of Lynn. I would give Whisenhunt some of the credit as he was the one that installed the offense in 2013 that Rivers ran for the remainder of this time with the team.

The fact remains that Rivers did not lead the league in any of the nine statistical categories that he did lead the league in before Lynn ever arrived. Lynn did not suddenly transform Rivers in his 14th NFL season. That notion is absolute idiocy.

As others have stated, without Rivers and Whisenhunt, we can clearly see Lynn's many weaknesses because Rivers and Whisenhunt were people with veteran NFL knowledge that knew how to avoid the keystone cop routines that have featured Lynn all too often this season.

No other coach has figured so prominently in so many lost games, so yes, that does make him the worst head coach in the entire NFL.

Lynn is not just bad, he is laughably bad. His coaching ineptness has made him the laughingstock of the league on multiple occasions this season. Usually just one of the extreme gaffes that have plagued Lynn this season is enough for a head coach to be a candidate to be fired. We are witnessing historical ineptness on the part of Lynn that is being partially covered up by a historically great rookie QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  While Burrow may improve, he has demonstrated that he was overrated so far. I had Herbert ranked as the best of the rookie QBs before the draft and I think I will stay with that take.
                  1. Herbert
                  2. Burrow
                  3. Eason
                  4. Tagovailoa
                  5. Love
                  6. Fromm
                  7. Hurts

I do not want the Chargers to select any of these players.

For other teams that may need a QB (unlike the Chargers who need to re-sign Rivers), I would not select any of these QBs in the first half of the first round, but I think that Herbert, Burrow, Eason and Tagovailoa are all legitimate NFL players with a chance to be a starting QB. I think Love, Fromm and Hurts are fringe of the roster reserve only type players in the NFL

Yes stick with your take!
                  You did not want Herbert-QB.
                  You wanted to keep building around the aging veteran.
                  Your fired!
                  I have already acknowledged that Herbert was even better than I thought he would be and that I was mistaken when I suggested that he did not carry the value of the 6th overall pick. That discussion has come and gone about ten weeks ago.

However, I did clearly state that if we did select a QB, I wanted it to be Herbert and not any of the others. I clearly had Herbert ranked ahead of Burrow before the draft unlike most.

Also, Rivers does have a higher QB rating than Herbert at present. But still, given how well Herbert has done in spite of Lynn, I definitely think he is the better choice than Rivers in the long run.

By the way, I wanted Simmons followed Jonathan Taylor, both of whom have had productive rookie seasons, so my suggested draft, while not as good as having Herbert, would not have been a total loss either.

By contrast, you were the one that made the absurd suggestion that we should trade multiple (3+) first round picks to select Burrow (trade the farm to get Burrow because Burrow was the farm is how I recall you putting it).

I stated that I did not think that Burrow was proven and that he was shooting fish in barrel playing for a team that was absolutely loaded. I stated that I did not think that Burrow was clearly even the best 2020 draft candidate on his own team and that that honor may belong to Jefferson.

Well, LSU did tie a record for players selected with 14 and the best LSU player taken this year has not been Burrow. And while Burrow plays the more important position, I do not think he would have been better at his position than Jefferson has been at his even if Burrow did not get injured. In 2020, Jefferson was always the better player than Burrow just as I suggested may be the case.

Even if Burrow somehow became almost as good as Herbert, because Herbert was available at #6 overall, trading multiple first round picks to get Burrow would have been one of, if not the worst decision in franchise history.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I have already acknowledged that Herbert was even better than I thought he would be and that I was mistaken when I suggested that he did not carry the value of the 6th overall pick. That discussion has come and gone about ten weeks ago.

However, I did clearly state that if we did select a QB, I wanted it to be Herbert and not any of the others. I clearly had Herbert ranked ahead of Burrow before the draft unlike most.

Also, Rivers does have a higher QB rating than Herbert at present. But still, given how well Herbert has done in spite of Lynn, I definitely think he is the better choice than Rivers in the long run.

By the way, I wanted Simmons followed Jonathan Taylor, both of whom have had productive rookie seasons, so my suggested draft, while not as good as having Herbert, would not have been a total loss either.

By contrast, you were the one that made the absurd suggestion that we should trade multiple (3+) first round picks to select Burrow (trade the farm to get Burrow because Burrow was the farm is how I recall you putting it).

I stated that I did not think that Burrow was proven and that he was shooting fish in barrel playing for a team that was absolutely loaded. I stated that I did not think that Burrow was clearly even the best 2020 draft candidate on his own team and that that honor may belong to Jefferson.

Well, LSU did tie a record for players selected with 14 and the best LSU player taken this year has not been Burrow. And while Burrow plays the more important position, I do not think he would have been better at his position than Jefferson has been at his even if Burrow did not get injured. In 2020, Jefferson was always the better player than Burrow just as I suggested may be the case.

Even if Burrow somehow became almost as good as Herbert, because Herbert was available at #6 overall, trading multiple first round picks to get Burrow would have been one of, if not the worst decision in franchise history.
                    Had Burrow not have got hurt, he would of been very close to also breaking the rookie passing yards record and i think with his averages, he very well would have done it as well so its not like he wasnt having a good season. It just hasnt quite been as good as Herberts.
                    If Herbert would of sat behind Tyrod id say Burrow would win the OROY instead of Jefferson though Jefferson is definitely in the conversation. I say this because he would of probably broken teh rookie record for passing yards.
                    But it seems the OROY will be Herbert.

Critty likes to trades picks is all ive learned thru all this.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      I feel like Critty and Chain are gonna meet up for a BBQ and diagnose some games when Covid ends
                      And I will not attend

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

And I will not attend
                        I have a strict rule.
                        I do not say no to BBQ
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

You like hyperbole don't you.

​​​​​​You got Chargers at #1 seed if not for Lynn messing everything up.

You got trading a few 1st picks as worst thing in history.
                          ​​​​​​like there is no free agency. Like those future first were guaranteed gold can't miss picks.

Do I need to remind you of so many 1st rd picks not signed to a second contract.

You trade a few picks to get the most important position in football. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
                          Fluker, Verrett, Gordon, Tillery. That half Telesco 1st rd picks. I think everyone is fine if they were traded for a Burrow or a Herbert or even a Tua.

Point is...it's not the trading of draft capital that sets you back, it's the not hitting on 1st rd picks that you resign to a second contract that creates more hole to fill in the roster.
                          If the draft capital you trade lands a franchise QB for the next 15 seasons then it's capital well spent.

So I'm fine being aggressive at the top of the draft and in rd 1 to get a top prospect.

Comment

Working...
                          X