• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

"failure to create proper game plans, the poor play calling, the failure to assess the talent of players correctly, the inability to make in game adjustments or to formulate useful in game strategies, all of which are equally awful."

Okay. lets just do one down. A single down for play calling chess match. I want to see how you would attack a defense.

You are the OC and I am the opponent DC

1st down. You show 11 personnel

I show you a 4-3 cover 2 look when you walk up to line as QB JH10,
    and then I bring up a safety and move the other safety to middle of field. I have the safety I brought up and a linebacker threatening to blitz gaps.
    I call coverage on the back end and it is one of these two calls.
    Single high man free robber or Cover three zone

What is your OC call?
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

:youaretheman:

yep this team should be in position for #1 seed. just so damn talented and great all around
      but Lynn is just so great at messing it all up.
      and you have all your great stories showing how he failed here and there
      yep, he should be fired.

But, Since this roster is talented enough to win the #1 seed. As you claim.
      If Lynn is replaced and the new coach does NOT win the AFC West in year one with a team this good.
      He needs to be fired after just one season. No reason to bring back that loser.
      Because only a bad coach cant win the West right away with Justin Herbert and this extremely talented team.
      Actually it should be SUPERBOWL OR BUST!!!!
      Until JH10 retires or Chain the mastermind declares the roster is terrible.
      No HC should get more than 1 season if they cant win the AFC West and compete for Superbowls right away with type of talent!

Am I exactly right?
      :ygdr:

I stated that the team has playoff level talent as presently constituted. I also stated that the team could very easily be competing for the #1 overall seed had Lynn not butchered game after game.

Lynn's philosophies resulted in turtle conservative play calling that absolutely lost us the games against KC, TB, NO and DEN. The idiotic conservative play calling likely cost us the game against MIA as well.

His idiotic time management absolutely cost us the first game versus LV. It nearly cost us the game against ATL.

The combination of idiotic play calling and idiotic time management likely cost us the game against BUF and nearly cost us the game against @LV.

His failure to have the team ready to play cost us the game against CAR.

Lynn had no clue against NE.

Lynn's fingerprints are all over every loss and almost turned all of our wins into losses. The guy is the worst head coach in the NFL.

Do the math. We are 5-9, but Lynn cost us a whole bunch of wins--at least 5 and as many as 8. Honestly, I have never seen anything like it ever on the part of an NFL head coach and I have been watching NFL football for about 46 years.

Comment

"failure to create proper game plans, the poor play calling, the failure to assess the talent of players correctly, the inability to make in game adjustments or to formulate useful in game strategies, all of which are equally awful."

Okay. lets just do one down. A single down for play calling chess match. I want to see how you would attack a defense.

You are the OC and I am the opponent DC

1st down. You show 11 personnel

I show you a 4-3 cover 2 look when you walk up to line as QB JH10,
        and then I bring up a safety and move the other safety to middle of field. I have the safety I brought up and a linebacker threatening to blitz gaps.
        I call coverage on the back end and it is one of these two calls.
        Single high man free robber or Cover three zone

What is your OC call?
        Okay, I will play. By threatening to blitz gaps, I am understanding you to mean interior gaps since you did not say edge, which means you are using your MLB and your SS from the middle and have your other LBs on the outside.

To combat this, with my 11 personnel, I line up two WRs to the left and one to the right. My TE is to the right and my RB is in set to the front right of my QB, who is in the shotgun.

The two WRs to the left are not set very wide but are close to each other.

My widest WR on the left runs a flag or modified flag route to the left. The interior WR runs an out route between the two levels of the coverage.

The TE runs a short drag route from the right side.

The WR on the right side runs either a skinny post or a hook in the right third seam based upon his read.

The RB holds for a blitzer and then crosses to the left flat.

The rationale for the above is as follows. If there is a double blitz, then the TE will be wide open as the hot read in the space vacated by the blitzers. If only one blitzes, the RB picks him up and the goal is to hit one of the 3 WRs. In that case, The TE should have an option to work back out to the right to find a soft spot and/or to occupy the underneath defenders on that side of the field to the degree possible.

If the coverage is single high, then if the safety does not go with the WR running the flag route, there is single coverage in the deep corner, which is a potentially good option. If the safety, goes with the flag route, then the WR on the right should read that and run a skinny post. If the safety stays at home, then an intermediate hook in the right of center or seam area would be appropriate. The hope is that between the influence of the flag route and the underneath route by the TE, space is opened up for the WR in the right of center area. (The lack of an underneath route squeezed the throwing space for Herbert against TB on his INT. This route combination is designed to avoid that problem at least in part by giving the underneath defenders a receiver to consider--the TE.)

The combination of the flag route and intermediate out route is designed to put pressure on the the CB on that side of the field. He has to honor the flag route if he sees it in either coverage, which should leave the outbreaking WR open versus a LB underneath whether the coverage is single high or cover 3.

If there are no blitzers, then the RB can leak out to the left flat and that check down could be successful if the underneath level of coverage has dropped too far into coverage.

There are numerous routes that could work, but the main concept is to find route combinations that will beat either coverage scheme and the blitz.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

I feel like Critty and Chain are gonna meet up for a BBQ and diagnose some games when Covid ends

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

​​​​​​You think you can stay one dimensional there?

Who has it better than us?

Comment

​​​​​​You think you can stay one dimensional there?

The task was to design a play that would defeat all three aspects that your defensive play call. The play I designed does just that. I also like that it is an attacking passing play and not some weak running play.

Comment

:coolstorybro:
                it was not 15 seconds. the time did not matter. he called the timeout not to save time but to rest his defense.
                you are turning it into another one of your made up stories.
                just like your bullshit story of how chargers should be in position for the #1 seed in the AFC.
                no matter how many walls of text and how much you insist you story is true. it isn't. its just a story.
                but good cool story bro.
                Happy Holidays!
                :toyou:

Lynn sat there and was indecisive for a period of approximately 15 seconds. I did not time it. The exact time is not the issue. The indecisiveness is.

It is idiotic to give Lynn credit for Hebert's 53 yard pass play when assessing Lynn's time management. The reality is that Lynn screwed up by being indecisive and Herbert bailed him out as he has done so many times this season. Lynn's screw up did risk costing us the game.

As for our team's record, as I have stated, I have never seen a coach cost a team so many games in a single season. Lynn is the worst head coach in the NFL.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If your saying not just pass, but specifically play action each pass. You will become predictable.
                  ​​​
                  I'm not saying that. I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that if Lynn keeps on calling more unsuccessful runs and screens on 1st down he will (and has) become predictable.

And we see this play out each and every week.

I AM saying let's add in SOME play actions on 1st downs. Especially when we see the D crowding the box. No? No good? Okay, well, not sure where to go with this.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that if Lynn keeps on calling more unsuccessful runs and screens on 1st down he will (and has) become predictable.

And we see this play out each and every week.

I AM saying let's add in SOME play actions on 1st downs. Especially when we see the D crowding the box. No? No good? Okay, well, not sure where to go with this.
                    Steichen has become predictable.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Vs Raiders
                      Drive 1 started with a run
                      Drive 2 started with a pass
                      Drive 3 started with a run
                      Drive 4 started with a pass
                      Drive 5 started with a pass
                      Drive 6 started with a pass
                      Drive 7 started with a pass
                      Drive 8 started with a run
                      Drive 9 started with a run
                      Drive 10 started with a pass

6 passes and 4 runs to start drives last week.

​​​
                      I also wanted to go back to this stat you brought up. So you're talking about their first 1st down of a drive (while I mean every 1st down). But, I gotcha.

Drive 1 started with a run (for a grand total of 3 yards...okay)
                      Drive 2 started with a pass (a screen which got 5 yards)
                      Drive 3 started with a run (for 9 yards)
                      Drive 4 started with a pass (another screen for -2 yards)
                      Drive 5 started with a pass (pass to Guyton which netted us 28 yards with the defensive penalties..woo hoo)
                      Drive 6 started with a pass (incomplete deep pass to Johnson)
                      Drive 7 started with a run (you said pass) (Ekeler for 27 yards)
                      Drive 8 started with a run (Ekeler for 3)
                      Drive 9 started with a run <-- this drive didn't happen)
                      Drive 9 (the real one) started with a pass (incomplete to Parham)

Anyway, I'm not sure what we learn here specifically, but I think you added an extra drive in there. It's really 5 passes, 4 runs. But 2 of those passes are screens which, while technically passes, are not what I'm thinking of. I'm looking for slants, outs, hooks, picks, etc..The short/middle passes.

To your point, they had a little success with runs on first 1st downs (3, -2, 27, 3). That 27 is quite helpful to it all. But it happened once.

However, the rest of the first downs this game looked like this:

RUNS
                      A.Ekeler left tackle to LARC 33 for no gain
                      A.Ekeler left tackle to 50 for 4 yards
                      K.Ballage right end to LV 36 for -4 yards
                      A.Ekeler left tackle to LV 10 for 1 yard

J.Guyton left tackle to LV 21 for 4 yards
                      A.Ekeler right guard to LV 7 for 2 yards
                      Direct snap to K.Ballage. A.Ekeler left end for no gain

A.Ekeler right guard to LV 41 for 5 yards
                      K.Ballage right guard for 1 yard TOUCHDOWN
                      J.Herbert left end ran ob at LV 36 for 12 yards
                      K.Ballage right guard to LV 30 for 6 yards

J.Herbert right end to LV 2 for no gain
                      K.Ballage right tackle to LV 1 for no gain

PASSES
                      J.Herbert pass short right to J.Guyton to LARC 48 for 12 yards
                      J.Herbert pass short right to H.Henry to LV 37 for 15 yards

J.Herbert pass incomplete short right to K.Allen
                      J.Herbert pass deep right to Ty.Johnson for 26 yards TOUCHDOWN.
                      J.Herbert pass incomplete short right to G.Nabers
                      J.Herbert pass incomplete deep middle to J.Guyton
                      J.Herbert pass incomplete short middle to H.Henry.

J.Herbert pass deep middle to J.Guyton to LV 2 for 53 yards

A couple of things:

After the first 1st downs we had 13 runs to 8 passes

Run Results: (0, 4, -4, 1, 4, 2, 0, 5, 1, 12, 6, 2, 0) for a total of 33 yards (average of 2.5).
                      Remove the Herbert scramble and you get an average of 1.75 with our running backs on 1st down plays. Lynn keeps running that ball on 1st down to gain 1.75 yards. We are 2nd and 9 almost every time.

Pass Results: (12, 15, 0, 26, 0, 0, 0, 53) for a total of 106 yards (average of 13.25).
                      Take out the 53 yarder and you get an average on 1st down of 7.5 yards.

The incompletions put us at 2nd and 10, but that's almost what we are after running the ball. However, the payoff for passing is so nice on those completions. It's why basketball teams have shifted to taking so many 3-pointers. The payoff of the successful ones outweigh the 2-pointers made.

I’m simply asking Lynn to flip the script. Make it 13 passes to 8 runs instead. Is that too much to ask? Take 5 of those runs and swap them out for strategic and well-practiced pass plays. Make some of those play-action. You have a prodigy QB, clearly our strength.

You keep talking about predictability. Well, so am I. I think the Chargers on offense (and don’t get me started on Gus’ defense) are too predictable right now.

Comment

• Inforfun
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I stated that the team has playoff level talent as presently constituted. I also stated that the team could very easily be competing for the #1 overall seed had Lynn not butchered game after game.

Lynn's philosophies resulted in turtle conservative play calling that absolutely lost us the games against KC, TB, NO and DEN. The idiotic conservative play calling likely cost us the game against MIA as well.

His idiotic time management absolutely cost us the first game versus LV. It nearly cost us the game against ATL.

The combination of idiotic play calling and idiotic time management likely cost us the game against BUF and nearly cost us the game against @LV.

His failure to have the team ready to play cost us the game against CAR.

Lynn had no clue against NE.

Lynn's fingerprints are all over every loss and almost turned all of our wins into losses. The guy is the worst head coach in the NFL.

Do the math. We are 5-9, but Lynn cost us a whole bunch of wins--at least 5 and as many as 8. Honestly, I have never seen anything like it ever on the part of an NFL head coach and I have been watching NFL football for about 46 years.
                        I agree with you,

It’s very clear Lynn was not a good hire for Rivers. It’s also very clear Lynn is not the right coach to grow with JH.

there are 164 pages here that state the obvious flaws in all aspects of planning and execution on game day. Lynn need to go to a team that is looking to find the next Lamar Jackson to test Lynn’s theory.

We can all agree Belicheat Pete carrel, Andy Reid are probably the best game managers, Lynn is at the bottom. Who can we find to be that falls under best guys.

This discussion should be about who is best candidate to grow with JH next 4-5 years.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

164 pages of "Lynn sucks"

At this point if Lynn is fired, we all know Chargers wont get the big name HC thus this same thread will be repeated 2024, so might as well stick with the guy who went 12-4 when all his starters were playing...

Comment

Working...
                          X