• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nunc Coepi
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

Norv Turner won three AFC West titles. Let's not forget that. I'm pretty sure that's as long a run at the top of the AFC West as we've ever had. No coach since has done it once.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post
      Norv Turner won three AFC West titles. Let's not forget that. I'm pretty sure that's as long a run at the top of the AFC West as we've ever had. No coach since has done it once.
      Norv had one year in 2009 where the team exceeded expectations.

The 2007/2008/2010 teams had no business losing that division: clearly more talented than any other team by far.
      All those teams still under performed during the regular season.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

I have a question. Watching Herbert and remembering the mini camp off season. Seeing the power and touch WTF was Lynn thinking? Lynn is going to go down in history as the coaching that didn't want to start Justin Herbert, but was forced to. I am so over this shell of a coach. His clock management at the NFL level gets an F. He has no clue what he is doing. If he doesn't get fired there is something else going of behind the curtain.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Coryell won 3 straight and went to the playoffs 4 straight. And that was when the Raiders were a super bowl winner. bit tougher division.

he also took over a 1-4 team that hadn’t been to the playoffs in a decade. Much different than Norv Turner taking over a 14-2 team that many thought was the best team in football

Comment

• Disco Volante
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2020
            • Send PM

The Los Angeles Chargers are coming off an exciting overtime win over the rival Las Vegas Raiders, but it seems that won't be enough to keep Anthony Lynn employed as a head coach.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              I have a question. Watching Herbert and remembering the mini camp off season. Seeing the power and touch WTF was Lynn thinking? Lynn is going to go down in history as the coaching that didn't want to start Justin Herbert, but was forced to. I am so over this shell of a coach. His clock management at the NFL level gets an F. He has no clue what he is doing. If he doesn't get fired there is something else going of behind the curtain.
              I do not argue about the clock management issues near the end of each half. I agree.. some of it has been pretty bad to say the least. However, without preseason games, it was not a slam dunk to know how Herbert would respond. From my understanding, he was not thought of as being day 1 ready when drafted and many agreed sitting behind Tyrod at first should be the way to go. Yes, he had wow type talent, but he also had plenty of concerns. Wowing in practice is not the same as doing it in games. If he had flashed like that in all the preseason games, it might have been a different story..

Comment

• Nunc Coepi
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2020
                • Send PM

I'm still here defending Norv Turner. I'm not saying that he was the greatest coach out there. It's true that he inherited a greatly talented team. He was not necessarily responsible for its creation. But he was able to steer the team for three seasons very successfully. Not every coach does that. The current coach inherited a greatly talented team and turned it into a dumpster fire almost instantly. There are a lot of coaches worse than Norv was

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                  Even after Herbert shows up against the Chiefs, he’s still adamant about Tyrod starting if healthy
                  instead of jumping on the opportunity to roll with the obvious upgrade.
                  its one thing to not know your own roster well enough because of a lack of preseason (still should know what talent you have in your first round qb)
                  its one thing to trust your vet qb over your more physically talented rookie, initially
                  but to come away from the Chiefs game pretending JH didn’t just force your hand, is simply neglectful of your job, which is to start the man who gives you the best chance to win. I think he lost credibility that day with some of the vets, especially on offense. You think KA trusted Lynns judgment after that?
                  and why the hell did Lynn even feel the need to answer a question like that to the media? He could have easily used coach talk to buy some time instead of trying to look like mr loyal. Again, thats ego, not honor. And poor handling of the media shows weakness, not control or confidence.
                  weeks later he declares Herbert the starter for the season, tell me, do you think it would take any competent HC weeks to figure that out? Bruce freaking Arians tried to give him a hint after seeing him once!
                  Herbert was a perceived threat to Lynn, because it was ruining his narrative he was so motivated to create
                  instead of being fair and objective, he chose to consciously act upon his bias, that’s what you expect from fans, not a professional HC
                  2024: Far From Over

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                    Chargers Hall of Fame
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

The Chargers have the most pass attempts in the league. Nobody is passing it more.
                    So I don't understand the narrative of Lynn being conservative and running too much. It simply is not happening.

Lynn doesn't care if its 50/50 split. If passing 50 times is what they have to do to win. He will do that.
                    The balance is so he can keep the opponent having to defend everything. If he just make up his mind. We can't run, pass every play. He is putting a lot of pressure on QB. And opponent won't bite on any play action. The passing windows get much tighter. And likelihood of sacks and turnovers will increase. And Herbert will get beat up. That not going to work out.
                    if the opponents are going to stack the box and dare you to pass every play. I don't think Lynn has a problem passing every play. I would too.
                    But that not how games happen.
                    As soon as you hit a few passes they will back out of it. And play the pass. Are you going to throw into the teeth of defense. You shouldn't. You should run the ball and beat them up. Be physical, let your o lineman have some fun.

Believe me, I wish what you said were true. Yes, of course we have the most pass attempts. Do you know why that is? It isn't because Lynn loves to pass the ball or is that strategic in his week-to-week game plans. I'd love to pull up the stat on how many of those "pass" attempts were actually just the bubble screen. Yes, technically those are passes. But, c'mon. That's not what we mean. We mean PASS the ball past the line of scrimmage. Got any numbers on that (vs the run)? Also, I might add, when you are trailing in the second half of the 4th quarter, a team generally goes to the air more than the ground.

So let's return to the repeated problem at hand - how Anthony Lynn chooses to start most every game and game plan, regardless of our ability (inability) to run the ball well. He will almost always begin games with runs up the gut. Over and over and over. Almost every single first down. Then Herbert, being an amazing rookie QB, bails him out (when he can) on third and long. Or, after our guys intercept the ball (rarity) Lynn will follow it up with bubble screen (ooh, a pass?), a run, then the NEEDED 3rd and long pass with mixed results. It's rinse and repeat.

We are simply asking Lynn to use the pass to set up the run. We are simply asking for more 1st down play action passes. Dictate the game. Right now, his conservative game plan to begin most games (and end 1st halves) seems to be putting Herbert in more dangerous situations and putting our kicker 10 yards farther than he can hit and putting our punter on the field sooner than we'd like and letting our vaunted Jackboyz give momentum back to the opposition.

Trust me, Lynn DOES have a problem passing every play. He's shown that. But, to be clear, I'm not asking for him to pass every play. Of course not. Just stop doing the same game plan week in and week out. But I don't think he has any other plan. It's just his football worldview.
                    Last edited by BayAreaBoltz; 12-20-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

I'm still here defending Norv Turner. I'm not saying that he was the greatest coach out there. It's true that he inherited a greatly talented team. He was not necessarily responsible for its creation. But he was able to steer the team for three seasons very successfully. Not every coach does that. The current coach inherited a greatly talented team and turned it into a dumpster fire almost instantly. There are a lot of coaches worse than Norv was
                      Why bother?
                      I am disregarding ANY ideas for Norv Turner as our next HC.

Hue Jackson would of won with the best roster in the league.

Bill Calahan took Grudens built Raiders to a SB against Grudens Dungy built team.
                      Same for Barry Switzer at Dallas when the took Jimmy Johnsobns SB winning team.

They all went to SBs with ready built teams.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why bother?
                        I am disregarding ANY ideas for Norv Turner as our next HC.

Hue Jackson would of won with the best roster in the league.

Bill Calahan took Grudens built Raiders to a SB against Grudens Dungy built team.
                        Same for Barry Switzer at Dallas when the took Jimmy Johnsobns SB winning team.

They all went to SBs with ready built teams.
                        I don’t hear anybody talking about Callahan or Switzer as great NFL coaches.

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You disputed how many were out of backfield and you used a single season of 2019 to show that Rivers actually threw more to Ekeler out of backfield than I had guessed. And you were correct. But that is under Lynn. You also said that was an all time high for his career to Ekeler. So you used his all time high under Lynn as proof that he does this his entire career. There is a hole there.

Is 2019 relevant or not?
                          Or just some of the stat you say are relevant. The links I provided are just as relevant as the links you provided. You dismissed 2019 here but included 2019 there. So there is a hole there.

By the way....
                          Nobody had more interceptions or turnover-worthy plays on deep targets in 2019 than Rivers did.
                          (Do you want to dispute this?)

And you are wrong on both counts.

Despite the fact that I only gave one year under Lynn as an example my doesn't mean it is a hole but it is an example of supporting evidence. It is not a hole,it's simply that I only posted one year that directly disputed what you said about Rivers and throwing short to backs. Do you actually believe that Rivers never had the majority of his passes to his backs as short passes out of the backfield until just last year? That he would suddenly overcome a whole career of not throwing most passes to backs short for some unknown reason and just start doing this last year? If you know otherwise why don't you provide evidence that Rivers has not thrown the majority of passes to his backs from the slot or wideout spots for the majority of his career? I already asked for that previously and you haven't been able to show it so far? Why not. Because it doesn't exist as it didn't happen that way.

As for the second point the link I provided would be more relevant as it actually shows #'s of targets going short to backs in response to your claim that Rivers likely throws half of his throws to running backs lined up as receivers. Even if you discount that fact that not every single one of Rivers' picks last year were due to him forcing the ball deep and compared the simple short passes to backs to total INT's the numbers support what I say. Rivers had 20 total picks and 80 targets to just Ek out of the backfield. So, four times more short passes to just one back as compared to interceptions. Do you deny that this is a significant amount more? Once again do you truly believe that this is just one fluke year out of Rivers career?

The answer to that is no of course because NFL offenses don't run passes to their backs this way which is also shown by the link I provided as no other team ran that way either. Unless of course you believe that is also fluke where every team in the NFL suddenly changed the way they run offensive strategy. Well, it isn't the way offenses are run and hasn't been in the 40 plus years I have been watching football. It wasn't that way for other NFL teams nor was it that way for Rivers under Lynn or the other Chargers coaches. As I stated before it was observable not only to me, but to announcers, fans of other teams and yes even to you, assuming you actually watched the games. If you have something that indicates otherwise, post it.

As far at the 3rd part I don't know for sure. But I know Jameis Winston had ten more INT's than Rivers so it is possible he could have had more INT's on deep plays but that is neither here or there when discussing the Rivers short passes to deep INT's and isn't relevant to what we were discussing.

Comment

Working...
                          X