• Show
Clear All
  • bartman83642
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    bartman83642

You are wrong. too many holes in your argument.
    but I get your point.
    Hmmm, so which dang holes are there? The hole where I showed you that Rivers consistently took the short stuff not just last year but through his career. No, not there? Must be the one where we realized that those picks were only a minute amount of Rivers throws and much less than the throws to the backs. Oh, shucks, not that one either. Must be the one where I showed you the actual number of time the AE lined up in the backfield as opposed to the slot or wideout position. Gosh that wasn't it either. Must of been the one where I gave you Ek's yardage totals and YAC totals showing he mostly had the short receptions that the turned into longer games. Nope, that one seems to be missing as well.

Well gosh, the only hole I can find in our exchange was the statement of yours I responded to. It's like you tried to plant a tree that will never bear fruit.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

For what it's worth they were 14 runs and 14 passes on 1st down yesterday.
      To start the game they chose to run 5 of the first 6 first downs. Three in a row with Ekeler gaining almost nothing going off LT. The first first-down "pass" was a bubble screen. We do not count those. But, fine. Then that run up the gut.

So, after 7 first down plays, where we run 6 times for nothing and one bubble screen for a few, we finally pass. 12 yard reception! We follow that up with a 15 yard first down pass to Henry. Then a first down incompletion. Then that sill screen for -2 and 1st down TD pass for 26 yards.

The evidence in the first half shows clearly that when Herbert passes, LEGIT PASSES, on first down, we find success more often than not.

What most of us hate is the overuse of the 1st down run. 5 of 6 of the first downs to start the game were runs for nothing (basically) and then a screen pass mixed in.

Just let Herbert cook. Set up the run with the pass. Mix it up more to start the game.

That's all. Not hard.

Comment

• Silversurfer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Los Angeles
        • Send PM

Rich Eisen talking about Lynn waiting for ever calling a timeout when Aikman said "They should be calling a timeout here". I hope to god the front office sees hes in over his head and gives a real coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
          Rich Eisen talking about Lynn waiting for ever calling a timeout when Aikman said "They should be calling a timeout here". I hope to god the front office sees hes in over his head and gives a real coach.

Even with these two victories - it does seem the same situation football questions that happened many times the first 12 games - happened the last two weeks. They just won the games,.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            Popper: Is Anthony Lynn the best coach to maximize Justin Herbert’s talent?

The Chargers have a decision to make, one that will determine the trajectory of their organization for years and quite possibly decades.

It boils down to one question: Is Anthony Lynn the head coach who will get the absolute most out of Justin Herbert?

But to what degree is it coaching and to what degree is it Herbert himself?

As difficult as that is to quantify, the Chargers must uncover the answer to make the correct decision on their head-coaching future.

They must also attempt to predict the future. Even if coaching has been instrumental in Herbert’s performance thus far, is that coaching going to turn his tantalizing potential into wins? The Chargers have Herbert on his rookie deal for three more seasons before his cap hit skyrockets. This is their championship window. They cannot afford anything less than the very best for Herbert. That starts with the head coach.

Is Lynn that guy?

I ask again: Is this the coaching that will turn Herbert and the Chargers into Super Bowl champions?

The grass is always greener. The Chargers could replace Lynn with an offensive guru — perhaps the Bills’ Brian Daboll or the Titans’ Arthur Smith — and end up in a worse place. Quarterback development is fickle and exceedingly difficult. Nothing is guaranteed.

If they stick with the status quo, though, and find themselves outside the playoffs in 2021, that would have significant ramifications. Lynn would have to be let go in that scenario, and a new head coach in 2022 would only have two seasons of Herbert on a rookie deal instead of three. That is a much smaller window. Once Herbert signs his extension — or gets to his fifth-year option — the roster and salary cap calculus changes entirely.

It might seem like I am going down a rabbit hole, but these are the factors the Chargers must consider.

If they make the wrong decision, they will have no one to blame but themselves.
            Popps is spot on.... one year in this equation (really) matters.

of course, AL could be the guy, but you better be darn sure, coz waiting and seeing another year coz you're not sure, is not a good decision.... you have to know.

if you don't know, that is prolly the answer to your query.... it's time to move on.

it's like when you get into the ring w/the reigning heavyweight champ, you don't win by decision, and/or if you do, it has to be convincingly.

and as eye can only speak for myself.... am not convinced that AL is our (Justin Herbert) guy moving forward.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

In the missed 51 yd FG. 4 runs 47yards. 1 pass sacked.
              The run was working. The pass failed on that series.

If Herbert throws that away on 3rd and 2. Maybe they go for it on 4th and 2. But the sack made it 4th a 10.

Anyways. They found a way to get the Win. And that is all that ever matter. Finding a way, ugly, pretty whatever. Just find a way to get the win.
              Interesting points. The pass was a very poorly conceived Herbert roll out right into the teeth of a run blitz. Bad call.

I heard Lynn say in his press conference that Herbert needed to throw that pass away. It seems you are saying the same thing. In Herbert's presser he said he took the sack rather than throw it away. Herbert was right, Lynn was wrong. In that situation it was more important to run clock than to stop it with an incompletion. If he had thrown the incompletion the Raiders would have had another 25-30 seconds on their last drive and likely would not have been trying a 65 yard field goal.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

i dont care about being balanced run/pass. if your run game nets you little yards it needs to favor the pass more, especially as how well Herbert was playing yesterday and most of the season. at least until the other team can stop the pass...which the raiders couldnt do. lynn is too steadfast in his belief that you need to run the ball. i remember the pastries have passed 50+ times and won because it was what was working. and they've run the ball a gazillion times cuz the other team (chargers) couldnt stop them. being balanced is overrated. just do what the other team is not very good at defending.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post

Hmmm, so which dang holes are there? The hole where I showed you that Rivers consistently took the short stuff not just last year but through his career. No, not there? Must be the one where we realized that those picks were only a minute amount of Rivers throws and much less than the throws to the backs. Oh, shucks, not that one either. Must be the one where I showed you the actual number of time the AE lined up in the backfield as opposed to the slot or wideout position. Gosh that wasn't it either. Must of been the one where I gave you Ek's yardage totals and YAC totals showing he mostly had the short receptions that the turned into longer games. Nope, that one seems to be missing as well.

Well gosh, the only hole I can find in our exchange was the statement of yours I responded to. It's like you tried to plant a tree that will never bear fruit.
                  You disputed how many were out of backfield and you used a single season of 2019 to show that Rivers actually threw more to Ekeler out of backfield than I had guessed. And you were correct. But that is under Lynn. You also said that was an all time high for his career to Ekeler. So you used his all time high under Lynn as proof that he does this his entire career. There is a hole there.

Is 2019 relevant or not?
                  Or just some of the stat you say are relevant. The links I provided are just as relevant as the links you provided. You dismissed 2019 here but included 2019 there. So there is a hole there.

By the way....
                  Nobody had more interceptions or turnover-worthy plays on deep targets in 2019 than Rivers did.
                  (Do you want to dispute this?)

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

To start the game they chose to run 5 of the first 6 first downs. Three in a row with Ekeler gaining almost nothing going off LT. The first first-down "pass" was a bubble screen. We do not count those. But, fine. Then that run up the gut.

So, after 7 first down plays, where we run 6 times for nothing and one bubble screen for a few, we finally pass. 12 yard reception! We follow that up with a 15 yard first down pass to Henry. Then a first down incompletion. Then that sill screen for -2 and 1st down TD pass for 26 yards.

The evidence in the first half shows clearly that when Herbert passes, LEGIT PASSES, on first down, we find success more often than not.

What most of us hate is the overuse of the 1st down run. 5 of 6 of the first downs to start the game were runs for nothing (basically) and then a screen pass mixed in.

Just let Herbert cook. Set up the run with the pass. Mix it up more to start the game.

That's all. Not hard.
                    They scored a TD on that 1st drive and you have a problem with the play calling on that drive?

My understanding of the play calling is that Steichen gives Justin multiple calls. Run and Pass.
                    And depending on the opponent front and coverage, Herbert runs the play that matches up the best with what they are showing.
                    I see motion in and out, so Herbert can see coverage. If he sees man and a light box, he will run every time.
                    Herbert does not care if its pass or run. He wants to execute and take what the defense gives him.

They had 9 drives vs Raiders.
                    4 TDs.
                    3 FG attempts.
                    2 Punts (Punt #1, Pass, Run, Pass, Punt) (Punt#2 Pass, Run, Pass, Run, Punt)

So both punts started with the pass.

Also, if you want a bunch of downfield passes early and often, then Herbert has to hold the ball.
                    Meaning you are all okay if he gets beat up behind this o-line.

Do you here that Lynn! Fans want the bombs early and often.
                    They do NOT care about time of possession, or balance or setting up play action plays or allowing the defense to rest or protecting the rookie QB.
                    And even though no team has more pass attempts in 2020 than Chargers and Herbert. It is still not enough. More passing is needed.
                    And occasionally run it. But it better get more than 3 yards or you should just always pass it.
                    Actually, since passing get more yards per pop. Do not ever run the ball again.
                    Just Bombs away!!!!

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

He didn't call the timeout to save time. He had plenty of time on clock, another timeout and the 2 minute warning timeout. I think Aikman forgot about the 2 minute stop. He never mentioned it. They acted like he was running out of time. He wasn't. They said Chargers may want to start calling timeout so Raiders don't chew up too much time. Then in his opinion you should probably call a time out here right. No, you don't have to. You can keep both timeouts and you have the 2 minute warning. Best Raiders could do was run it down to just under 3 minutes. So whether he used it there to save time or used it later to save time. It would accomplish the same exact thing.

He actually called the timeout to give his defense a rest. He said that was why he called the timeout in his press conference. Which makes sense the Raiders had marched down the field all 4th quarter and overtime and his defense was gassed.

They scored the winning TD with 1:32 left and a timeout still in his pocket.

​​​​​​So......you know. Really screwed up there not calling the earlier timeout a few seconds sooner. Would have scored winning TD with 1:37 left and a timeout in his pocket.

Plus have you considered if he was thinking my defense needs a rest. They get more rest if he waits and let 30 more seconds go and then call.timeout. so ...... If he made that choice they score winning TD with 1:02 left and he still has a timeout in his pocket. But of course because Aikman said may want to start calling timeout. It has to be the only way to coach it. Sorry not buying this one as a faulty decision by Lynn.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Great teams for don’t focus on “taking what the defense gives” them. Great teams do what they damn well want to do. When LT was in his prime we weren’t taking what the defense gave us. They were trying to stop LT as job #1 and we said “fine, he’s best RB in the league and we’re gonna run him.”

you think Coryell was interested in what the defense was gonna give him. Hell no. He was gonna design his game and innovate and full speed ahead.

I bristle when I hear Lynn say that. It bothers me almost as much as when he says more games are lost than won in the NFL

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Tom Brady went to 9 Superbowl and won 6 taking what defense gives him and relying on run game and defense.

KC didn't abandon the run last year Superbowl run.. Even though they are much more pass heavy team with Reid. They still ran it 20 plus times a game.

You can not be one dimensional.

Comment

Working...
                          X