POLL: What Is The Bolts' Main Problem? (+ Post - Week 3 Discussion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
    I'll stir the pot, and say yes.... can't rule it out that we woulda won w/Tyrod @the helm, and feel for AL in that he got boondoggled w/his QB situation.

not only has Lynn lost his battle tested QB, but his philosophy is out the window and basically back to somewhat of what it was w/Rivers @the helm, as Herbert is a passer first, and def a gunslinger by nature, and of which we as fans have got to love.

the AL run game that we have been waiting for is now here.

and personally despite some claims that we are weak/shallow behind MW, personally think we run @least ten deep in pass catchers on O, between our RBs, TEs and wideouts, and unfortunately as we have no Oline to show for it, having spent our draft and FA capital on skill position players, and perhaps due in part as well that our GM and DFO were both once upon a time skill position players/receivers themselves, and more inclined to have an eye for that than the big uglies ??

things are def coming to a head.... last time our HC emerged from his 0-4 rubble to next go 22-9.... does he have another rabbit or coupla few outta his magic hat, or does his year 4 go the way of McCoy & Co. ??
    I agree ..... if our OL was good or even average, I think Herbert would have more time which would allow more of our receivers to break open, especially deep..... yesterday Herbert was under such heavy quick pressure, that ONLY KA was quick enough to get slightly open on most plays... bad OL play severely limits the offense.....

Watching GB highlights show Rodgers having all day to throw allowing him to spread the ball out to receivers no one has ever heard of for big plays......

There are 2 huge differences between Rivers and Herbert, are Herberts mobility and arm strength....... if Rivers was under the same pressure Herbert has been under he would have clearly thrown up more picks than Herbert..... some of Herbert's bullets would have been easily picked if they had been thrown softer/slower...... but he has extreme arm strength Rivers did not have.....

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Pass rush and opposing defense playing close to the line seem to cause the problem on offense. Herbert's running ability should slow the rush but it hasn't. He has not created the same fear and corresponding disciplined pass rush that other running QBs do. Is this due to no fear of fast receivers over the top or running game not dominating or scheme or ????. Problem seems deeper than just offensive line to me. Opposing D line is just teeing off not respecting run for some reason.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

so Charge! you've turned the corner on Herbert.... where does he rank compared to Burrow/Tua as generational talents that only come around once in a decade ??

and are you certain that there is not a generational talent @QB in this next draft class ??

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
          Even Lynn, who kind of threw Herbert under the bus after having a pick against KC, is coming around..... against Carolina, the blame for the loss can fall on many...and strangely Lynn had more praise for Herbert after the carolina loss than after the KC loss:
          Is coming around or was just smarter about spouting off about it?

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
            Pass rush and opposing defense playing close to the line seem to cause the problem on offense. Herbert's running ability should slow the rush but it hasn't. He has not created the same fear and corresponding disciplined pass rush that other running QBs do. Is this due to no fear of fast receivers over the top or running game not dominating or scheme or ????. Problem seems deeper than just offensive line to me. Opposing D line is just teeing off not respecting run for some reason.
            my guess would be the lack of screen plays, dump offs to RBs in the flats, draw plays (QB included), and QB bootlegs/designed QB runs/draw plays ??

would even add jet sweeps/RPO QB keepers or laterals to the RB out wide....

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

so Charge! you've turned the corner on Herbert.... where does he rank compared to Burrow/Tua as generational talents that only come around once in a decade ??

and are you certain that there is not a generational talent @QB in this next draft class ??

Problem is that he is headed to the Broncos........

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                [/B]

Problem is that he is headed to the Broncos........
                the Ouija board has him headed to the Big Easy.... :O

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  I think we have a lot of good ingredients. Im just not all that trusting that we have the chefs to put together a tasty enough of a meal.

We are a lucky FG miss away from being 0-3.

Can we bench Herbert for Taylor? Is that a smart move by the coach? Im not sure just asking. Its often that i feel like we are getting outcoached. Play design and execution isnt always on the players. Especially when its the little details that are getting us killed. Basics of fundamental football. Sloppy football play. Low football IQ. Make the players smarter. Educate them.

I always go back to Marty who had his teams fit and fundamentally sound. I get it in 2020 its hard with no pre season and really soft camps....but we just look sloppy. This team constantly plays down to lesser opponents. I used to go to every camp practice at UCSD and write up reports for our forum. Its so different now. Wether its league implemented or not im not sure. Its just so loose at camp from the insider reports i read and stuff i see personally. Maybe im just old school.

On the flipside....looks like my desire to grab Jason Peters was way off. That would have been a bad signing.

Im starting to see just how important Derwin and Tranquil are to the D.

4 turnovers will kill you every time. Should have been 2 ints for Herbert.

Speaking of Marty....his son sure is creative up their in Seattle. Im just concerned that this staff isnt going to be right for Herbert. And that he could develop bad habits since we are so lax on the fundamentals as it is. I like Pip so i think he is a solid coach for Herbert....but we will need to get innovative an creative going forward. And guys like Eric Bienemy should be hot names this offseason.

Josh Allen didnt really start showing his legs off until later in his initial season....i think Herbert will eventually become a similar player. If he can get the right coaching and scheme to fit his style. Time will tell.
                  If Lynn doesn't turn this thing around, how about offering the head coaching job to Schottenheimer's kid?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Special teams mistakes have cost this team one loss, that blocked punt might have made it two.
                    Lynn should be a nuts and bolts guy....we are not getting that from him.
                    He never could fix the recurrent problem on special teams.....which is not a good sign for Norv Turner, much less A.Lynn.

What does he offer?

Lamp is our best offensive lineman right now. Why was Lynn screwing around with him the last two years?

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree ..... if our OL was good or even average, I think Herbert would have more time which would allow more of our receivers to break open, especially deep..... yesterday Herbert was under such heavy quick pressure, that ONLY KA was quick enough to get slightly open on most plays... bad OL play severely limits the offense.....

Watching GB highlights show Rodgers having all day to throw allowing him to spread the ball out to receivers no one has ever heard of for big plays......

There are 2 huge differences between Rivers and Herbert, are Herberts mobility and arm strength....... if Rivers was under the same pressure Herbert has been under he would have clearly thrown up more picks than Herbert..... some of Herbert's bullets would have been easily picked if they had been thrown softer/slower...... but he has extreme arm strength Rivers did not have.....
                      Hell our last game Teddy had a helluva lot more time to work than Herbie.TT is the anti o line I swear.I dont care who says what, a winning team has a solid good to great QB and a solid good to great o line.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        Special teams mistakes have cost this team one loss, that blocked punt might have made it two.
                        Lynn should be a nuts and bolts guy....we are not getting that from him.
                        He never could fix the recurrent problem on special teams.....which is not a good sign for Norv Turner, much less A.Lynn.

What does he offer?

Lamp is our best offensive lineman right now. Why was Lynn screwing around with him the last two years?
                        Again, after the first three years on the job - how did George Stewart earn a 4th year?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

the Ouija board has him headed to the Big Easy.... :O
                          It’s broken.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub