Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Burger to have Season Ending Surgery

Job is Watts.

Ghelken tweet: Chargers C Rich Ohrnberger will have season-ending back surgery, sources say. Chris Watt at helm: http://t.co/n0hDBoZFg2

Good Luck Rich and Go get um Watt!
    Last edited by TABF; 11-24-2014, 08:41 PM.
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

yeah just saw that over at UT. Also Hardwick down to 260 lbs to transition to life after football. Looks like Watt is our Center going forward...

A Chargers center, for the third time this season, is out for the year.

Rich Ohrnberger will undergo back surgery and soon be placed on injured reserve, sources said Monday. Chris Watt, a rookie third-round pick, will have the opportunity to cement himself as the team's' center of the future, a vacancy existing there in light of Nick Hardwick's status.

Ohrnberger did well to play this deep into the year.

His back limited him the past couple months, requiring continuous management on the part of him, the coaches and athletic training staff. He first appeared on the injury report in Week 3 when listed as probable to face the Bills in Buffalo. There was, however, enough concern to warrant the beginning of what became a trend.

Tackle-guard Jeremiah Sirles traveled with the team on road trips, not only gaining the experience of being on the visitor's sideline but providing the security that, should a Saturday transaction be needed due to Ohrnberger's condition, someone was there for promotion from the practice squad.

Ohrnberger missed the following two games.

Whether a promotion comes now for Sirles remains to be seen. What is clear is Watt's opportunity has arrived and won't soon end.

The former Notre Dame guard worked on the right side early this season, rotating every couple series while developing his center skill set on the practice field. On Sunday, he made his first NFL start. He stepped in for Ohrnberger, inactive with both the back and an ankle injury, the latter of which he suffered a week earlier against the Raiders.

Watt is the only Chargers center whose future in San Diego is clear.

Hardwick, an 11-year veteran, was placed on injured reserve in September due to recurring neck issues. The 33-year-old has since lost more than 60 pounds to around 230, an effort viewed to be part of his progression to the next chapter in his life. The intention to retire is not something Hardwick is prepared to discuss publicly, not wanting to distract from his team.

There is a time and place for announcements. His is expected in early 2015.

A slimmed-down Hardwick has been on the sideline for several games in support of his teammates, often standing beside Jeromey Clary. The guard is out for the season due to a hip injury.

Respected locker-room leaders, each man is in the final year of his respective contract.

"One looks like a tight end now, and one looks like a good fullback," coach Mike McCoy said Monday. "Those two guys have lost a lot of weight; they're in great shape right now. It's fun to have them around. They're great leaders. They mean a lot to this football team. This organization is where it is today because of guys like that."

In Sunday's win over the Rams, Watt became the fourth Chargers center to start a game this year.

Hardwick, Ohrnberger and Doug Legursky (knee) are the others. Ohrnberger started seven weeks, Legursky two and Hardwick one. Legursky and Ohrnberger are under one-year contracts that are scheduled to expire in March.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      Hardwick, an 11-year veteran, was placed on injured reserve in September due to recurring neck issues. The 33-year-old has since lost more than 60 pounds to around 230, an effort viewed to be part of his progression to the next chapter in his life. The intention to retire is not something Hardwick is prepared to discuss publicly, not wanting to distract from his team.

There is a time and place for announcements. His is expected in early 2015.

A slimmed-down Hardwick has been on the sideline for several games in support of his teammates, often standing beside Jeromey Clary. The guard is out for the season due to a hip injury.
      As Wheels mentioned in another thread, Hardwick discussed his weight on one of his weekly 1360 shows recently. He said he basically has to force feed himself a ton of calories to keep all that weight on when he's playing but now he's eating normally and has gone back to more of his natural weight. Seems like he may just be ready to walk away but based on what he said on 1360, I think it's a little early to read into his weight loss.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

If Hardwick retires then good for him. He has been abusing his body for years. You shouldnt have to gorge to keep 60 lbs on. That cant be good for you.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Is it bad of me that the first thing I thought of when I saw a hear about a guying losing 60 pounds in 10 weeks that he must have stopped taking HGH/steroids?

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            Is it bad of me that the first thing I thought of when I saw a hear about a guying losing 60 pounds in 10 weeks that he must have stopped taking HGH/steroids?
            He isnt a big body type compared to the rest of the OL we have or see in the NFL (narrow shoulders )...

Seriously, body type wise, I bet it was real tough for him to put on enough ell bee's to play center in the NFL. So, losing 60 wasn't probably that difficult for him.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
              He isnt a big body type compared to the rest of the OL we have or see in the NFL (narrow shoulders )...

Seriously, body type wise, I bet it was real tough for him to put on enough ell bee's to play center in the NFL. So, losing 60 wasn't probably that difficult for him.
              60 pounds in 10 weeks? That just seems like an awful lot of weight to drop in that short amount of time. But hopefully it was just eating and body type rather than anything shady.

Comment

60 pounds in 10 weeks? That just seems like an awful lot of weight to drop in that short amount of time. But hopefully it was just eating and body type rather than anything shady.
                I have no doubt that Hardwick could not play in the league with the HGH testing that was bound to happen. I love the guy but sorry, 60 lbs lost has nothing solely to do with eating differently. Blast away.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

60 pounds in 10 weeks? That just seems like an awful lot of weight to drop in that short amount of time.
                  Bingo.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

No, as that thought crossed my mind, too.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
                      I have no doubt that Hardwick could not play in the league with the HGH testing that was bound to happen. I love the guy but sorry, 60 lbs lost has nothing solely to do with eating differently. Blast away.
                      2 years ago I lost 40 pounds in 8 weeks just by changing my diet. 15 or so years ago I lost about 90 lbs in about 12 weeks just by changing my diet. I have never used (non-cortico)steroids or HGH in my life. When I lost the 90 pounds I was also very active, but I doubt I was ever as active as Hardwick. So, I can say with absolute authority that you are full of shit.
                      Last edited by Panama; 11-25-2014, 06:07 AM.
                      Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Panama knows his shit, but it is hard for me to believe most linemen aren't on some performance-enhancing drug. Dude didn't lose fat - he lost muscle. Still think it's ridiculous the media and Congress got upset about baseballers being juiced. Quick. Have they seen NFL linemen? Look at the difference between now and 30 years ago. People haven't evolved that much through natural selection.

Comment

Working...
                        X