Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

From LA Times

Expanding role

Entering his second season, Jerry Tillery’s role has been expanding in recent weeks.

A first-round pick in 2019, Tillery continues to work at both tackle and the big end position where Joey Bosa starts. At that spot especially, the 6-foot-6 Tillery is able to use his length.

“He jumped out a little bit at big end,” defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. “I see him this year playing both positions.” Tillery had a tough rookie year, often being overpowered. He missed the 2019 offseason program and the start of training camp dealing with a shoulder injury from college.

He is now one of the players Bradley identified as growing the most since last season.

“He’s just playing stronger,” Bradley said. “You’re seeing a more confident player.”

Etc.

Linebacker Denzel Perryman, who has been slowed lately by an undisclosed physical issue, pronounced himself healthy Thursday. Asked about his role in 2020, he said: “My role is to stay healthy. That’s the key thing, the main thing.” Perryman dealt with some leg problems last season but appeared in 14 games after two years of missing significant time because of injury…The Chargers players are off Friday and Saturday and won’t practice again until next week…NFL rosters need to be cut to 53 players by 1 p.m. Saturday.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

So that’s a wrap. Training camp is over. Bring on Cincy.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

My surprise cuts. Pouncy and Perryman. Can’t help the club from the tub. Pouncy is old, oft injured and expensive. Perryman is oft injured and a dinosaur. He doesn’t fit the mold of the modern lb this team has been developing. Give their money to Keenan Allen.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

But can he pass block? He’s not a 3rd down back if he can’t.
          Good point and an unknown to me. Hopefully he got some reps in TC.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Center Mike Pouncey’s status for the opener is in doubt. The four-time Pro Bowl player has been dealing with an undisclosed injury that has kept him from practicing since early in training camp.

In Pouncey’s absence, the Chargers have been starting Dan Feeney at center, with Forrest Lamp taking over Feeney’s spot as the starter at left guard.

The other Chargers who didn’t practice included Jackson (toe) and tight end Virgil Green (undisclosed).

Jackson was hurt during a scrimmage Sunday as he again struggles to remain on the field. In two seasons, Jackson has been limited to 20 games because of health issues.

from LA times
            Pouncey’s wear and tear are very concerning. Dan @ OC and Forrest @ OLG gives us a real look to see if either deserve a 2nd contract.

JJacks needs to find his way to a healthy season. He better not give D. Bradwell a chance to take his spot permanently.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

My surprise cuts. Pouncy and Perryman. Can’t help the club from the tub. Pouncy is old, oft injured and expensive. Perryman is oft injured and a dinosaur. He doesn’t fit the mold of the modern lb this team has been developing. Give their money to Keenan Allen.
              I don't think either get cut. Perryman is good depth, and the Bolts really need that at LB. If they were going to cut Pouncey they would have done already. I don't think they view QBerry or Feeney on the same level as Pouncey, yet.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                My final list of our expected 53-Man roster and 14-Man practice squad.......

2020 LA CHARGERS

OFFENSE ( 25 )

QB - T. TAYLOR, J. HERBERT, E. STICK

RB - J. KELLEY, A. EKELER, J. JACKSON, G. NABORS
                WR - K. ALLEN, M, WILLIAMS, J. REED, K.J. HILL, J. GUYTON, J. MOORE
                TE - H. HENRY, V. GREEN, D. PARHAM
                OT - B. BULAGA, T. PIPKINS, S. TEVI
                IOL - F. LAMP, D.FEENEY, M. POUNCEY, T. TURNER, S. QBERRY, T. SCOTT

SPECIAL TEAMS ( 3 )

PK - M. BADGLEY

P - T. LONG
                LS - C. MAZZA
                PR - K.J. HILL
                KR - J. REED

DEFENSE ( 25 )

DT - L. JOSEPH, J. JONES, J. TILLERY, C. BROUGHTON, D. SQUARE, B. FEHEKO

DE/LEO - J. BOSA, SUPAMEL, I. ROCHELL U. NWOSU
                LB - K. MURRAY, D. TRANQUIL, K. WHITE, D. PERRYMAN, N. VIGIL, E. EMBUKE
                DS - R. JENKINS, N. ADDERLEY, A. GILMAN, Q. MEEKS
                CB - C. HAYWARD, C. HARRIS, M. DAVIS, D. KING, B. FACYSON

IR = D. JAMES

PRACTICE SQUAD ( 14 )

RB = D. BRADWELL, B. HOLLY
                WR = J. COTTON. T. JOHNSON, D. SHOEN
                TE = S. ANDERSON
                OL = S. NORTON, N. GILLIAM

DL = TJ JOHNSON, J. GAZIANO
                LB = A. BILAL, M. JEFFERSON
                DB = D. VAUGHN, J. BRANNON

Nabors versatility (FB/TE/LS) wins over Holly’s FB only identity.
                J. Moore gets WR6 to cover MW injury status.
                D. Parham is the real deal.
                T. Scott G/T versatility and snaps over S. Norton.
                B. Fehoko because SupaMel/others believe he has it and AL said he already made the team even if in play.

Only 6 LBers because we only play with 3 about 30%-35% of snaps.

Hey Ninja I hope you don't mind me using your 53 as my launching off pad for my prediction.
                genuine gesture out of respect for the work and thoughtfulness you put into it (as always)
                major changes in red

O:
                I think we go 26 offense and 24 defense...
                I think both Holly and Nabors make it. (Nabors listed as TE because I think he'll end up providing depth there more than at FB)
                I think they stick with the vet Jennings over the promising and talented and young WRs in this limited offseason
                I think they are DONE with Trent Scott, maybe it's just wishful thinking, but i think he's better at practice than in games.
                (I didn't even give him a PS spot because I think the coaches are in a vigorous search for quality OL)
                I know it's pretty thin at iOL especially with Pouncy hurting but Tevi get step-in and i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran added.
                i think they keep 4 OTs with Bulaga's tendency not to finish whole seasons and Pip's nagging injuries. So Storm gets the nod.

ST:
                I think you're right about Hill and Reed get the first crack at PR and KR respectively so see if they give us a spark with Jennings as a backup option.

D:
                I think we got 5 iDL with Tillery reportedly seeing more snaps at "big DE" and one of them isn't Feheko (not buying him just yet)
                I think we go 5 LBs because we won't be using them much more than last year
                I think we go with 6 CBs and one of them is a veteran free agent cut from somewhere else, because I have 4 true Safeties and King might get a few snaps too.

PS:
                I think Roberts and St. Louis stick over T. Scott (again, maybe my wishful thinking but i have never been a fan of T. Scott in the slightest)
                i'm also not quite buying Anderson just yet, intriguing guy but don't see him earning it yet.

2020 LA CHARGERS

OFFENSE ( 26 )

RB - J. KELLEY, A. EKELER, J. JACKSON, B. HOLLY
                WR - K. ALLEN, M. WILLIAMS, J. REED, K.J. HILL, J. GUYTON, D. JENNINGS
                TE - H. HENRY, V. GREEN, D. PARHAM, G. NABORS
                OT - B. BULAGA, T. PIPKINS, S. TEVI, S. NORTON
                IOL - F. LAMP, D. FEENEY, M. POUNCEY, T. TURNER, S. QBERRY

SPECIAL TEAMS ( 3 )

PK - M. BADGLEY
                P - T. LONG
                LS - C. MAZZA
                PR - K.J. HILL
                KR - J. REED

DEFENSE ( 24 )

DT - L. JOSEPH, J. JONES, J. TILLERY, C. BROUGHTON, D. SQUARE
                DE/LEO - J. BOSA, SUPAMEL, I. ROCHELL, U. NWOSU
                LB - K. MURRAY, D. TRANQUIL, K. WHITE, D. PERRYMAN, N. VIGIL
                CB - C. HAYWARD, C. HARRIS, M. DAVIS, D. KING, B. FACYSON, Vet FA

IR = D. JAMES

PRACTICE SQUAD ( 14 )

RB = D. BRADWELL
                WR = J. COTTON, J. MOORE
                TE = S. ANDERSON
                OL = R. ROBERTS, T. St. LOUIS

DL = J. GAZIANO, B. FEHEKO, J. LEMONIER
                LB = A. BILAL, M. JEFFERSON, E. EMBUKE
                DB = D. VAUGHN, T. CAMPBELL
                2024: Far From Over

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Hey Ninja I hope you don't mind me using your 53 as my launching off pad for my prediction.
                  genuine gesture out of respect for the work and thoughtfulness you put into it (as always)
                  major changes in red

O:
                  I think we go 26 offense and 24 defense...
                  I think both Holly and Nabors make it. (Nabors listed as TE because I think he'll end up providing depth there more than at FB)
                  I think they stick with the vet Jennings over the promising and talented and young WRs in this limited offseason
                  I think they are DONE with Trent Scott, maybe it's just wishful thinking, but i think he's better at practice than in games.
                  (I didn't even give him a PS spot because I think the coaches are in a vigorous search for quality OL)
                  I know it's pretty thin at iOL especially with Pouncy hurting but Tevi get step-in and i wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran added.
                  i think they keep 4 OTs with Bulaga's tendency not to finish whole seasons and Pip's nagging injuries. So Storm gets the nod.

ST:
                  I think you're right about Hill and Reed get the first crack at PR and KR respectively so see if they give us a spark with Jennings as a backup option.

D:
                  I think we got 5 iDL with Tillery reportedly seeing more snaps at "big DE" and one of them isn't Feheko (not buying him just yet)
                  I think we go with 6 CBs and one of them is a veteran free agent cut from somewhere else, because I have 4 true Safeties and King might get a few snaps too.

PS:
                  I think Roberts and St. Louis stick over T. Scott (again, maybe my wishful thinking but i have never been a fan of T. Scott in the slightest)
                  i'm also not quite buying Anderson just yet, intriguing guy but don't see him earning it yet.

2020 LA CHARGERS

OFFENSE ( 26 )

RB - J. KELLEY, A. EKELER, J. JACKSON, B. HOLLY
                  WR - K. ALLEN, M. WILLIAMS, J. REED, K.J. HILL, J. GUYTON, D. JENNINGS
                  TE - H. HENRY, V. GREEN, D. PARHAM, G. NABORS
                  OT - B. BULAGA, T. PIPKINS, S. TEVI, S. NORTON
                  IOL - F. LAMP, D. FEENEY, M. POUNCEY, T. TURNER, S. QBERRY

SPECIAL TEAMS ( 3 )

PK - M. BADGLEY
                  P - T. LONG
                  LS - C. MAZZA
                  PR - K.J. HILL
                  KR - J. REED

DEFENSE ( 25 )

IR = D. JAMES

PRACTICE SQUAD ( 14 )

RB = D. BRADWELL
                  WR = J. COTTON, J. MOORE
                  TE = S. ANDERSON
                  OL = R. ROBERTS, T. St. LOUIS

DL = J. GAZIANO, B. FEHEKO, J. LEMONIER
                  LB = A. BILAL, M. JEFFERSON, E. EMBUKE
                  DB = D. VAUGHN, T. CAMPBELL
                  I like it.

6 DTs is overkill, I admit.

Tyree St. Louis was the 1 PS player I wanted to find a spot for.

Having both Nabors and Holly make us a more physical team. I love that. If it at the expense of Fehoko or Square, I’m good with that.

5 ( 4.5 with Perryman ) LBers is too thin.
                  Last edited by like54ninjas; 09-03-2020, 11:55 PM.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Tol
                    From Accounting
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Carlsbad
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    D:

DEFENSE ( 24 )

No Emeke Egbule?

Admittedly I haven't heard much about him, but I just assume he makes it because Chargers tend to hold on to their drafted guys.

Edit: Oh you have him on the PS, I see him now.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                      Chargers linebacker Denzel Perryman says goal is to stay healthy in 2020

Fernando Ramirez

2 hours ago

Before the start of every season, the media asks players what their goal is for the upcoming year. Some will say a Super Bowl. Others will have individual statistical goals. For Chargers linebacker Denzel Perryman the answer is easy.

Staying healthy all 16 games.

"I am as healthy as an ox as people like to say," said Perryman. "That's always been my obstacle, and that has been my downfall since I have been here, but going into this year, I am healthy, I feel good and have taken care of my body."

Since being drafted in 2015, Perryman has suffered nine injuries that have made him play 56 out of 80 games. It hurts. He is a talented linebacker who has been important for the defense in the run game. The problem is that he gets hurt when he is in a rhythm, and it deteriorates everything.

"When he is well, he is hell," explained Lynn. "He has been in there competing. He missed a couple of days because of an injury, but he is back, and he is competing."

Perryman missed a couple of days in training camp due to an undisclosed injury. He missed the team's scrimmage last Sunday but has come back into the fold.

The Miami Hurricane product says he worked hard in the offseason. He decided to focus more on cardio and less on weightlifting. He started eating better.

He has been the starting "MIKE" linebacker for the last three seasons, but this year the team drafted Kenneth Murray in the first round.

"Oh man, baller," explained Perryman about Murray. "I can't wait to see him play, man. He has this presence about him, and I can't wait to watch him take off. Stay tuned, man I can't give you guys too much information."

Murray has been the MIKE since Perryman went out with the injury, but the thing about defensive coordinator Gus Bradley's system is that the linebackers are taught all three positions. So even if Murray is the starting MIKE, then Perryman can play somewhere else.

"We have depth at every single position," said Perryman. "Every guy can play all three positions. Depth wise we are looking real good."

One of the exciting moves of the offseason was the addition of defensive tackle Linval Joseph. The media has spoken to at least one member of each position on the football's defensive side. Each position thinks that the addition of Joseph will help them out tremendously.

"Linval is maybe the biggest, strongest defensive lineman I have ever seen," Perryman said. "The pressure puts on a quarterback, his run game, his pass game, double teams you aren't moving him, single blocking good luck. It is almost like you have to pick your poison with him, man."

The defense has a lot of potential to be special, even with the loss of safety Derwin James. They will need to stay relatively healthy the whole season. Perryman says that his offseason conditioning and the work he has put in on the field makes him feel like this is the healthiest he has been in some time.

Nuts N’ Bolts
                      Good to hear about optimism for MW’s return for the first game of the season. Part of me is tempted to say hold him out since it’s just the Bengals. But it’s an AFC team and I feel they are much improved from last season.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Just my opinion, but Pouncy may not make this team.
                        Not having Pouncey for the Bengal’s game is more concerning than not having MW.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Not having Pouncey for the Bengal’s game is more concerning than not having MW.
                          Indeed!

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X