• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I'm thinking Green is not going to developed as hoped and Jordan would be a better #2 pass catching TE that would replace Gate if injured or when he retires. Mainly I'm thinking we get him now and not be left high and dry if Gates retires next year...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I'm not sure if Green will develop or not. We only use him in 2 TE sets, and when the OL couldn't run block, we had to throw and that meant going 3 WR. Green got caught high and dry. But I still think he can develop if we get him the playing time. So, Green's development hinges as much on how we can rebuild the interior OL as anything. He just needs to get on the field, but his only routes he does well right now are off of play action, and we can't throw play action till we get a running game.

Our ability to use Jordan also depends on the interior OL. We are only going to use 1 TE at a time if we have to throw the ball, and Jordan is still not the receiver that Gates is (yes, I know he is declining, but he is still better route runner then Jordan). We just can't play 2TE sets unless we have the threat of running the ball. Jordan is a nice pass catcher, but he can't beat good pass defenders except off of play action. He gets a lot of catches because he draws LB in coverage.

The catch is if we sign Jordan, we have to get rid of Green (or Gates). You just cannot run goalline plays and get Jordan and Gates enough playing time overall to justify their salaries if we aren't playing 2 TE sets a significant amount of time. We just don't have the roster spots, unless we stash Green on IR. And Jordan is not going to be happy sitting around waiting to get playing time if Gates is getting most of the reps.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Jordan has been the Ryan Mathews of tight ends. Looks great! ....when he plays. He gets injured a lot. Shoulders, concussions, leg injuries, etc. He has missed a lot of time since he was drafted. But very talented player when healthy.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Concussions are a red flag. Even giving Dunlap a big contract concerns me.
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
            Concussions are a red flag. Even giving Dunlap a big contract concerns me.
            concussions are overrated....who's Dunlap??
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              concussions are overrated....who's Dunlap??
              Sorry, I tire easily
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

I would prefer Virgil Green to Thomas, price will be better. Is a better athlete and blocker. Could compliment Ladarius Green. Plus, still taking a player from the Broncos which is a bonus.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Las Vegas, NV
                  • Send PM

For O-line how about signing Derek Newton at OT and A.Q. Shipley at C. Those two along with Fluker to OG and Chris Watt at the other OG and Dunlap left OT. Then go into the draft with a best available mentality and not drafting to fill a need for a starter. Those names are not stars but they are affordable and allows us to still go after a WR.

Comment

• CTrout
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                    For O-line how about signing Derek Newton at OT and A.Q. Shipley at C. Those two along with Fluker to OG and Chris Watt at the other OG and Dunlap left OT. Then go into the draft with a best available mentality and not drafting to fill a need for a starter. Those names are not stars but they are affordable and allows us to still go after a WR.
                    Agree, everyone seems stuck on "big name" guys for the OL. There are alot of quality options available
                    that won't demand top dollar.

I believe TT will fill most of our needs with FA's. Use the draft to fill in the remaining weak spots.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Don't see why he can't fill every open position via FA with at minimum mid-tier options (like he did with WR recently), then hit the draft for BPA pretty much every round regardless of position and we get quality upgrades (or the draft potential equivalent) as they fall to us.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Las Vegas, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                        Agree, everyone seems stuck on "big name" guys for the OL. There are alot of quality options available
                        that won't demand top dollar.

I believe TT will fill most of our needs with FA's. Use the draft to fill in the remaining weak spots.
                        Fill all holes via free agency and the the draft can be used for depth and best available players. Going into the draft with holes makes teams reach on players imo.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The catch will be that TT and the Chargers may feel the needs are much different then most fans. And even after they decide what the needs are, then even if we go out and court FA, we may not be able to fill most of those needs with FA. Some of our big needs are things like pass rushing OLB, and for the mot part those guys never make it to becoming FA, at least to the point that it is worth singing them. o, signing anyone who is not going to be any better then someone we can sign off the street come the start of the season, there is really no point in signing them prior to the season.

I don't disagree with the idea of going best player, but most teams have drafted for need, and will continue to do so.

There is also the fact that most FA signing, especially the big money ones are usually a waste of time and money for both sides. You simply don't get the same guy who you paid for. If you go back and look at the lists of FA and see which ones pan out and which ones don't, one list is a lot longer then the other.
                          Last edited by Steve; 02-01-2015, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X