• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I haven't heard any sniff of a rumor that the Chargers are thinking of switching to a 4-3. Not sure why it keeps coming up.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Because if you want to sign a big name FA and want him to dominate, you have to switch to the 43. People want Suh, so that would make sense, to switch to get the most out of him.

But if signing Suh is what people will think of as a successful FA period, they should get ready to be disappointed. He is not the type of player that the Chargers want to have around, and he ha a lot of the signs of a future FA bust in the making. I may be in the minority, but signing Suh would be the sign of a real failure for us.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Yeah I want no part of that guy.
        Reminds me of Haynesworth a little too much.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I think there is a decent chance that none of those players even makes it to being FA. They will cost a lot, but all the teams seem to be trying to get stuff done, or will potentially use the tag.

AS far as actually being a good fit or not:

Suh would really require us to switch to the 43, not that it would be a big deal. We struggle on D because of the outside rushers and we need outside rush guys no matter what D. I just think we could get 2 $10 million per year guys and be set at 2 spots, and still have money left over for a depth guy for what Suh would cost, plus he is becoming the ultimate low character scumbag.

Wallace has some truoulbing issues in his past, but is a fairly good WR. Just not sure if you want to give him a ton of money, as that really doesn't always bring the best out in guys.

Thomas and Houston are both good fits to our schemes, plus they fill needs, and make other teams in our division weaker, so it maximizes our bang for the buck. Houston is the ideal fit for our D because we are basically pretty solid through the rest of it, just that we have no pass rush. Thomas is the ideal featured WR in that he can do it all, and would compliment the guys we have, and maximize Rivers potential, which is sorta key.
          Going after Thomas would make sense then, we could skew a good portion of the contract to 2016 where we are loaded, this gives Rivers: Thomas , Allen Gates and Royal.

There is a huge potential to help screw Denver because I think Julius Thomas is looking for a big contract and could be gone also Welker is DONE.....a big shift if TT does that
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I am sure Welker is done in Den. He may try to sign with someone else, but Denver is going to hard pressed to resign all their other FA, and will need the space, since I am pretty sure the Den faithful will want another big FA season to make the team "better". In particular, they need to rebuild their OL around Vasquez and Clady, who are both too expensive to get rid of.

Julius Thomas has been a little bit vocal about the contract. The thing that may make them move on is that the Kubiak offense was not big on using the TE as downfield receivers like Den did this year. The Texans used to throw a lot of short dump off routes to TE, and asked them to block, which isn't Julius Thomas' strong suit. I imagine he is looking for a contract worth about $8 mill per year, maybe $8.5 mill.

A far as D. Thomas, I think he is the better fit.
            1) McCoy already knows him, and has coached him, which is huge.

2). He has to be aware that unless Osweiler is the second coming, and has been excelling in practice, that he could be signing a new contract to play for a team without a QB in the near future, if it even takes that long. Signing for us, with Rivers is a much safer bet.

3).It will probably cost us $13-16 mill per year, but he is a guy that could really transform our offense, which is getting old at WR. That would really limit his offseason pay in term of endorsements. That is a lot of money, but it doesn't kill our offseason, and we can even shuffle the other years around some to make them more cap friendly. If you have a cap friendly year on a Suh deal, where the average is over $20 mill, then he has other years that are huge ($35-40 mill cap hit), and then you have to cut him for those years.

4).He also has shown he is pretty much a model citizen. FA is always risky, but a lot less so for a guy without the character issues.

5). D. Thomas had to develop a lot after he got drafted. He knows how to work hard, and that makes him a better example to have around a locker room. SUh is a hard worker, but has not been much of a leader for Det, and the latest thing with Rodgers means he i less of a leader now, which i a real problem for a guy who will cost QB money.

6). Den would be decimated. The move to Kubiak' offense, if not now, then after Manning leaves, will make them more dependent on a top WR, so getting D. Thomas just got more important, especially since I don't think Sanders fits the Kubiak offense very well. Now, if Manning comes back, I don't think Kubiak is going to play his offense right away. But with Manning only a Bronco (maybe) for another year or two max, the fact that we could deprive them of an even more valuable weapon would be fantastic. If nothing else, a serious play would likely drive up the price, and that help us too, even if we can't make it happen.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I can see Denver letting Julius Thomas walk, but I can't see them letting Demaryius Thomas walk. If they did, I'd love to have him. It will be interesting to see where TT spends the money. I'm still thinking the bulk goes to the oline, secondary and perhaps pass rush.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I think there is a decent chance that none of those players even makes it to being FA. They will cost a lot, but all the teams seem to be trying to get stuff done, or will potentially use the tag.

AS far as actually being a good fit or not:

Suh would really require us to switch to the 43, not that it would be a big deal. We struggle on D because of the outside rushers and we need outside rush guys no matter what D. I just think we could get 2 $10 million per year guys and be set at 2 spots, and still have money left over for a depth guy for what Suh would cost, plus he is becoming the ultimate low character scumbag.

Wallace has some truoulbing issues in his past, but is a fairly good WR. Just not sure if you want to give him a ton of money, as that really doesn't always bring the best out in guys.

Thomas and Houston are both good fits to our schemes, plus they fill needs, and make other teams in our division weaker, so it maximizes our bang for the buck. Houston is the ideal fit for our D because we are basically pretty solid through the rest of it, just that we have no pass rush. Thomas is the ideal featured WR in that he can do it all, and would compliment the guys we have, and maximize Rivers potential, which is sorta key.
                I like D. Thomas but he does drop many easy passes. Thats the only flaw i see. I agree on Houston. Would love him here but i doubt he hits the market.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Because if you want to sign a big name FA and want him to dominate, you have to switch to the 43. People want Suh, so that would make sense, to switch to get the most out of him.

But if signing Suh is what people will think of as a successful FA period, they should get ready to be disappointed. He is not the type of player that the Chargers want to have around, and he ha a lot of the signs of a future FA bust in the making. I may be in the minority, but signing Suh would be the sign of a real failure for us.
                  Yes but it comes up every year when Suh hasnt been a FA.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

We play OK D, but we don't play really great D, and until that changes, it will keep coming up.

At this point it really doesn't matter. Until we can find a way to rush the QB, we will jut be an average D. It doesn't matter if we play a 43 or a 34, without the edge rush, you could line up a bunch of all pros inside and we would till just be an average D. Adding Suh is not going to change that. He might help help us get more out of the interior D, and they would be closer to whatever the peak potential the rest of the D has, but that isn't that much higher then it is now.

We HAVE to get an outside pass rush, and it really doesn't matter if it is in a 34 or a 43.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Slosh Gordon anyone???

Josh Gordon tests positive for alcohol, faces one-year ban

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 25, 2015, 4:08 PM EST

Getty Images
                      Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon faces yet another NFL suspension.

PFT’s Mike Florio has confirmed Gordon is in line for a one-year ban for a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

A source tells Florio that Gordon tested positive for alcohol. Moreover, a source tells Florio that Gordon’s suspension looks to be a “done deal,” with a reversal of the ban not expected.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported Gordon was set to draw a one-year ban from the league.

If Gordon’s suspension sticks, it’s another major setback for a wonderfully talented player who has already lost 13 games to league- and team-levied suspensions in his NFL career.

The 23-year-old Gordon was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2014 regular season for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. He caught just 24 passes for 303 yards in five games this season. He missed the last game of the season after being suspended for violating team rules.

The news of Gordon’s potential ban further throws his future with the Browns into doubt. After the season ended with Gordon suspended for the finale, coach Mike Pettine said the receiver was “squarely at a crossroads with us.”

Now, it fair to wonder whether his Cleveland career will soon reach an end.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

The 2016 CFL season will be here before he knows it.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

If you know you are looking at a one year suspension and the loss of millions of dollars and still keep on partying, you either have a serious substance abuse problem, a massively low IQ, or are so arrogant that you think you can get away with anything. Perhaps all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                          X