• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

The offensive line

To me, a much bigger issue than the speculation on bad calls and wacky conspiracy theories is how disappointing our offensive line play has been.

It's been pretty...offensive. Clearly we miss Hardwick and Clary (can't believe I said that) more than I thought we would. Troutman doesn't even look like a competent backup, much less a starting guard at this point. The fact that Watt can't beat him out shows how much far he has to go. Dunlap seems shakier to me than last season and Fluker seems really bothered by that ankle. As a group, they pretty much suck. And I think it's starting to affect Rivers. I really question the alternating series thing we are doing with Troutman and Watt - it sure doesn't seem to be paying any dividends. Pick a player and play him. One question I do have is whether some of their troubles is teams having a season plus to see what we have been doing and adjust to it? Or are we just not playing good due to the constant injury shuffle, sophomore slump and inexperience? Or is it just a lack of talent?

What do you think?
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Dunlap isn't playing well but he's been the best of the group.

Rinehart gets a pass because he was the worst of the OL last season but isn't playing worse now.

The center situation sucks.

Trout and Wat. Not good at all. Both are bad.

Fluker. I don't know. Maybe he's hindered by injury. Maybe he believed his hype. To me he's got cement bricks for feet. I hope he proves me wrong from what I'm seeing
    Last edited by oneinchpunch; 10-24-2014, 02:12 AM.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

It's over my head why they're playing so bad, but it's easy to see it in games. They always look like there are more defenders at the LOS than we have blockers. Even with only 3 pass rushing, they look overwhelmed at times. And I'm not calling out any of the linemen for their skills, more of how they play as a group.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Rinehart wasn't great last year but he did his job for the most part with the rest of the line playing better. I think he looks terrible this year.

It's disappointing that Watt can't beat out Porkchops. I don't know who is worse, him or Rinehart. Hopefully Fluker's ankle is the reason for his struggles and he can regain his form after the bye week.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          Fluker. I don't know. Maybe he's hindered by injury. Maybe he believed his hype. To me he's got cement bricks for feet. I hope he proves me wrong from what I'm seeing
          He has been battling an ankle injury - not sure what the status of that is.

Comment

• rikardo
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I would Include our blocking TE in the You suck at blocking conversation.
            But the Right Side of the line have won this award the last 2 games.

We need to fix it. Hope TT makes a trade this weekend and he gets a OG for a 3rd or 4th rounder...

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

A considerable amount of attention and resources should be spent on the oline this offseason. It is not right to risk Rivers health and the health of our aging vets like Gates to keep the false hope that this team can go deep in the post season with the current oline.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

I like Dunlap at LOT for us. I don't see him as playing poorly, but I do think he has not played quite as well as he did last year. To me, Fluker has been the biggest disappointment. The guy really does play like his feet are stuck in cement at times. In another thread, someone suggested moving him to OG. If we could draft or sign a legitimate ROT, I would have no issue with that for next year. I would make extending/re-signing Dunlap a priority.

As for this year, hopefully Fluker will play better once his ankle has a chance to heal up some more. I don't think there is much else we can do at OG. Ever since Clary was seen on the sideline leaning on that massive crutch apparatus, that kind of drove the message home that he probably is not going to play for us this year (or maybe ever again). So I think we are left with the likes of Rinehart, Troutman and Watt. I think Ohrnberger is okay at OC, but we could probably upgrade there if we really wanted to do so. I would not make that the highest priority, though.

Comment

• Highboltage
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Is Ohrnberger at 100% yet? Backs usually take time to heal.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Highboltage View Post
                    Is Ohrnberger at 100% yet? Backs usually take time to heal.
                    IIRC, he was on the injury report this week with his back.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I read somewhere that Fluker's ankle was "heavily taped" for the Bronco game. Hopefully he heals up in the next 23 games and can elevate his play.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I think we can live with either Fluker or Dunlap at OT, but not both. They both struggle with speed and when we face speed on both sides we have not been able to do much without help from the TE and RB. We need a top tackle one one side at a minimum. We also need a new center and LG.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X