• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    Are there teams ahead of us discussing Simmons( in the press)?
    Seems like the only defenders names I hear going top 5 are Young, Okudah, and possibly Brown.
    Add them to Tua, Burrow, and Herbert, it seems( with 4 weeks to go) Simmons should be available, right?
    This. Also not hearing Simmons as much, but that may change come draft day. Not sure there’s a team Simmons does not upgrade their LBs.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Just my opinion but,
      I watched Pipkins miss blocks and get over-run last year. I do think he improved as the year went along but I can't see how they could have a lot of faith in him for this year. I think he's still a year away.
      I don't disagree but suspect any rookie we might draft will have hiccups vs top NFL rushers. The alternative is a quality vet LOT.
      Reading Lonesome Dove, I pondered Gus' quote " Uva uvam videndo varia fit" or, roughly translated "a grape ripens when it sees another grape". Seems equally applicable to Pip or a rookie. Working and training with quality OLs Turner, Bulaga and former starting C turned championship OL coach Campen as well as PB vet Pouncey should have a positive impact.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        Just my opinion but,
        I watched Pipkins miss blocks and get over-run last year. I do think he improved as the year went along but I can't see how they could have a lot of faith in him for this year. I think he's still a year away.
        Thank you good sir. A year ago TT bet that Feeney and Tevi would both get better from the prior year with growth. They expected Scott could step in if Tevi couldn’t step up. The bet Lamp was going to ... not sure what they bet on Lamp. They were wrong, wrong wrong, and wrong. I saw what you saw ... a raw guy go from getting blown up or ran by every play to a guy getting blown up ran by every 2 or 3 plays. Which is better but not nearly good enough. How does any FO absorb the pain of 2019 and repeat it again with a different name? I say they don’t. We will see. LAC talked about their confidence in that entire young group and then went out and traded for a proven OG and signed a proven FA OT. There is zero reason for us to believe they have confidence in any of last year’s crew, really. All teams say they love their players up to the very second they dump them in the trash. Especially in FA / liars month draft season of the year.

Its 2 down, 3 to go as far as I can see.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

This. Also not hearing Simmons as much, but that may change come draft day. Not sure there’s a team Simmons does not upgrade their LBs.
          Not hearing could be a bad sign. Teams don’t talk about who they really want.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Interesting comments by Nick Canepa

Among the No. 1 overall picks from 2010-2015 — Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Eric Fisher, Jadeveon Clowney and Jameis Winston — only Fisher currently is on a roster. ...

If Ron Rivera, who hardly has greatness at QB in D.C., doesn’t want Newton, what does it tell us? That nobody should want him. …
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Among the No. 1 overall picks from 2010-2015 — Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Eric Fisher, Jadeveon Clowney and Jameis Winston — only Fisher currently is on a roster. ...

If Ron Rivera, who hardly has greatness at QB in D.C., doesn’t want Newton, what does it tell us? That nobody should want him. …
              Clowney will be on a roster at some point , just asking for alot of money. How will that affect Bosa?
              Luck retired and Cam will be somewhere, just hope it isnt here.

Not sure what Canepas point was

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Most of this batch of players has had a lot of bad luck when it comes to injuries. Cam Newton will eventually find a spot as well as Clowney. I'm wondering if both of these players rank at the bottom for locker room desirability. I'm still holding out hope that after another season Luck comes back out of retirement. Sucks to have all that money and feel like horse doo doo. Bradford is the man of Glass and Winston is just stupid and careless.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Some QBs are mistakenly downgraded every now and then for not meeting a specific profile. 6-0 Brees is a good example. The draft isn't a popularity contest and shouldn't just be profile bracketing. LAC had to trust their own evaluation.
                  Personally, I like Simmons at #6, Hurts at #37.
                  That is my ideal scenario.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Clowney will be on a roster at some point , just asking for alot of money. How will that affect Bosa?
                    Luck retired and Cam will be somewhere, just hope it isnt here.

Not sure what Canepas point was
                    I take it to be that picking #1 overall is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes, you just have to get lucky with your picks.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I take it to be that picking #1 overall is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes, you just have to get lucky with your picks.
                      Its a cute trick, do the same for other pick #s and find similar results. Its the same with those that note %QBs that don’t become all pro, you do that same analysis with other high position player picks and see its not unique to any one position.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

1st round picks are a little like the draft day thing. Everyone has something with them. Something that might be an issue. Some of them are a big deal, some of them are nothing. You just have to decide if you can live with what they have. Clowney is the best of the players that are on that list, but you have to remember he still thinks he is an elite, special player, and he is only an above average pass rusher, who is a pretty good run defender. He is a disappointment in terms of his production vs his draft stock. So are the rest of them, even Fischer.

Newton is still a decent QB. We would have to scheme around his strengths. The thing is, Taylor is probably a better QB than Newton is at this point. Newton will make more big plays than Taylor, but he will also make more mistakes. And we would have to scheme around both players strengths and weaknesses. But many people are going to think Newton should be the starter if we sign him, and I don't think he is as good a player as Taylor is.

The problem with signing Newton is that if Taylor, no matter how well he plays, if he ever has a bad game, or the offense struggles in any way, then people will start calling for Newton to start over Tyrod. He has the experience and pedigree that there is an instant controversy in the press, and in the locker room if Tyrod has ANY issues. If we are going to make Tyrod the QB, then he needs to be able to just go out and play. If he plays bad in multiple games, then any QB should have to worry, but a game here or a game there, the QB shouldn't be looking over their shoulder.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

That is my ideal scenario.
                          Yeah, hard to argue.

Comment

Working...
                          X