• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The thing is to not get to caught up in "starters". That phrase really doesn't mean anything any more. The NT is supposed to be a "starter, but the nickle DB is going to come on and replace him on 50 to 70% of our downs. So, is it more important to have a starting caliber NT or a 3rd CB who can matchup against starting WR?

In our division KC has McCluster and Den has Welker in the slot. At best, a NT would be rotated with Reyes and Liuget with all 3 starting, but then only 2 of the 3 playing in the nickle package. it's not that a NT is not important when they are on the field, just that they won't be on the field that much.

The same with Gilchrist. He doesn't need to be all that great as a "starting" CB, because he will play 50 to 70% of his defensive snaps as our nickle DB, at a position we now know that he is pretty good at. The only question in my mind is whether or not Williams and/or Patrick can handle the outside spot in the nickle package, or do we bring Marshall back? And we may do that anyway, since Marshall was our backup nickle DB (he slide over to play nickle DB when Gilchrist went out on Sunday). Or maybe we let Marshall walk and let Patrick fight it out as both the nickle DB and outside CB, going against both Gilchrist and Williams, and the best two play.

The other option we might try is just sign a lot of late round or UDFA CB/S types, get them the reps in TC, then when the season starts cut them or sign them to the taxi squad, and then activate them/bring them back as the injuries pile up. They may not actually get to play, but they get a year in our system, and can be more serious candidates next year when we might be losing DB to FA.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I wonder how much marcus cromartie has developed because physically he has everything you would want in a corner.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Outside of Nix, I am not sure there is a highly regarded run stuffer who can play NT. I think this is a year that our DL coach, along with our scouts need to go out and look at a bunch of guys, see if we can find a guy who we can develop. But if we don't land Nix, I am not sure we are going to be able to play a new player much as a rookie.

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 6-3 340 lbs
        DeQuan Jones DT, Penn State 6-3, 318 lbs
        Daniel McCullers DT, 6-8, 360 lbs
        DeAndre Coleman DT, 6-5 320 lbs
        Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin 6-3 325 lbs
        Mister Cobble DT, Kentucky 6-0, 340 lbs
        Zach Kerr DT, Delaware, 6-2, 330 lbs

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Outside of Nix, I am not sure there is a highly regarded run stuffer who can play NT. I think this is a year that our DL coach, along with our scouts need to go out and look at a bunch of guys, see if we can find a guy who we can develop. But if we don't land Nix, I am not sure we are going to be able to play a new player much as a rookie.

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame 6-3 340 lbs
          DeQuan Jones DT, Penn State 6-3, 318 lbs
          Daniel McCullers DT, 6-8, 360 lbs
          DeAndre Coleman DT, 6-5 320 lbs
          Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin 6-3 325 lbs
          Mister Cobble DT, Kentucky 6-0, 340 lbs
          Zach Kerr DT, Delaware, 6-2, 330 lbs
          Probably add Ellis to this list. And i agree about Nix. I think we should just put some free agent cash in that position. Someone we know who can pull their own weight. We need to get the middle of the DL set.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            The Cal CB we drafted last year is a smaller CB but he is a good man CB with speed to run with recieves IIRC. Getting him back will be a big help. I think we need 3 to 4 starting caliber CBs as we will have 3 on the field 70% of the time. Marshal, Wright, Williams, and a draft pick could work better than Cox, Martial, Wright, and Williams.
            I think Williams could end up being a similar player to Grimes or Munnerlyn.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

I think if Addae can lock down the SS spot by himself we are in a pretty good spot with the CBs we have on the roster. Between Wright, Gilchrist, Williams, and Marshall we have 4 guys that I think would do a pretty good job. I also don't think they are going to blow our minds and there's still room for improvement especially for the CB spot opposite Wright. I wouldn't be upset if we went CB in Rd. 1, unless it was Roby (I hate OSU players in the pro's), but I do think there are bigger holes to fill. But if someone like Dennard slipped to us chances are he's the BPA anyways.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Secondary wise, we need a playmaker. We haven't had a ball hawking player in the secondary since Cro was traded.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Cro thinks he'll be a cap casualty...

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

I don't think he would be welcomed back, either by fans or in the locker room. Weddle didn't seem too unhappy when we traded him.

As far as a ball hawking player, I think we have a couple of S who can do some of that. Weddle had a lot of int when we could afford to leave him back in the deep middle, and let him play the ball. But we have to have a pass rush to force some bad passes, and CB help knock the WR off their routes. Otherwise, we just have to sit back in zone, and let our DB just break on the ball. You give up more yards (death by a thousand cuts) but sooner or later someone breaks on a ball, or a tip comes too a DB.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      Kiper Mock 1.0

#25 - Chargers - Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
                      ESPN:

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Rob Rang - Marcus Roberson, CB Florida
                        Dane Brugler - Zack Martin, OT Notre Dame

2024 NFL Draft predictions including pick-by-pick analysis from CBS Sports NFL experts. Get the latest news and information on your favorite prospects on CBSSports.com.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          ESPN:

Mel Kiper Jr. has the San Diego Chargers selecting Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby with the No. 25 overall pick in the draft.

Cornerback, pass-rusher and interior offensive line help are primary needs for San Diego, so the selection of Roby makes some sense. San Diego’s top free-agent acquisition in terms of financial commitment was cornerback Derek Cox in 2013, who was replaced by Richard Marshall by season’s end because of poor performance.

Shareece Wright developed into a solid cornerback in his first full season as a starter, and the Chargers will get back cornerback Steve Williams, a fifth-round selection in the 2013 draft who landed on injured reserve in August after suffering a torn pectoral muscle during exhibition play.

San Diego’s pass defense improved during the second half of 2013, but the Chargers still finished No. 29 in the NFL in passing yards allowed (258.7 per game).

Cornerback also is a deep position group in this year’s draft. Kiper has three cornerbacks being selected in the first round.

Let the buyer beware when it comes to Bradley Roby, being in Ohio and watching Ohio State Roby will put up all the measurable at the combine excellent speed he has hawked down many reciever coming from the opposite side of the field, but he has a tendecy not to be focused and he let some average recievers look like superstar. He can be boom or bust!

Comment

Working...
                          X