• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zoom
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Anyone watched LA. Tech this year? DT Justin Ellis is showing well at EW Shrine practices.

He's projected as 7th rd or FA.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Carl Bradford has entered the draft. A multi purpose LB out of ASU. Hes a stud and one of those guys you just label a "Football Player". I think hes probably a 34 ILB or 43 OLB. ASU used him at what they call a "Devilbacker" hybrid OLB/DE. Von Miller type role.

Comment

• CTrout
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
        As long as you can occupy multiple blockers, height and weight is overrated when talking about nose tackles. There's been tall ones, short ones, heavy ones and lighter ones that have succeeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        DaQuan Jones from Penn State is another NT type (6'3 320). I'd guess he's a 2nd, 3rd rounder.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          A guy who many will say is too tall for NT is Daniel McCullers. Hes a monster and an extremely disruptive run defender. Im not sure he saw a single one on one matchup this year. He required a double at all times. He may not be a guy who can chase down the QB but he can collapse pockets and occupy 2-3 linemen. Thats really what we would need him for. I thought Ngata was to tall also. But hes turned out dominant. Obviously not the talent of Ngata coming out but hes pretty good for being so inexperienced. And i thought Poe was too inexperienced but hes been great. I was wrong about him. McCullers in the 3-4 range might be a nice NT prospect with some good coaching. I know his coach was down on him this season for his progress but its not always the players fault.
          I watched him play some this year. I don't think his height is a big deal myself. He lines up with good knee bend, and he plays with reasonable leverage. It needs to get better, but is better than many rookies.

The big deal is that I am not sure he is explosive enough to be an NFL DL. He has great strength, but he kind of lumbers along. Even run stuffing DL need to have some explosiveness to get into the OL blocks. I just don't see McCullers having any. He has a highlight of him hitting a QB downfield after a scramble, but the guy takes forever to get back to make the hit. It does show he is a pretty good athlete, though.

But his strength is pretty amazing. There is a you tube video of him playing in the 2012 game vs Alabama, where he repeatedly stands in and takes on Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, who are both in the NFL because both are strong, powerful, leverage type of guys. And McCullers doesn't give up any ground and even uses his hands to get off the block and move around. Usually, when I think of guys splitting the double team, I think they have to get a good jump off the ball, to get into the OL arm reach and collapse their arms. But as slow as McCullers is, and two NFL bound OL don't even really don't prevent him from getting off of blocks.

I am not sure I would want to spend a very high draft pick, but I might prioritize him as an UDFA, or maybe even a late round pick. In the end the guy may be too much like Mount Cody, but he might work out.

Comment

• Memonybolt
            • Jul 2013
            • New York city
            • Send PM

Regarding overall draft strategy, I will keep it simple, our strategy will depend on what Telesco does our URFAs and some players that may be deemed too expensive to keep around at their current cap hits. But overall, we could be looking to draft a starting LOG and CB as well as a capable NT and some depth at ILB and OC. Knwing what will happen with Freeney may impact if we draft an OLB or not, the same can be said of Floyd and Royal, whatever happens with them will impact if we also draft a WR, and the same can be said of many positions, its still too early to try and nail what draft strategy is the best one.
            Memohm1976 on espn

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I watched him play some this year. I don't think his height is a big deal myself. He lines up with good knee bend, and he plays with reasonable leverage. It needs to get better, but is better than many rookies.

The big deal is that I am not sure he is explosive enough to be an NFL DL. He has great strength, but he kind of lumbers along. Even run stuffing DL need to have some explosiveness to get into the OL blocks. I just don't see McCullers having any. He has a highlight of him hitting a QB downfield after a scramble, but the guy takes forever to get back to make the hit. It does show he is a pretty good athlete, though.

But his strength is pretty amazing. There is a you tube video of him playing in the 2012 game vs Alabama, where he repeatedly stands in and takes on Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, who are both in the NFL because both are strong, powerful, leverage type of guys. And McCullers doesn't give up any ground and even uses his hands to get off the block and move around. Usually, when I think of guys splitting the double team, I think they have to get a good jump off the ball, to get into the OL arm reach and collapse their arms. But as slow as McCullers is, and two NFL bound OL don't even really don't prevent him from getting off of blocks.

I am not sure I would want to spend a very high draft pick, but I might prioritize him as an UDFA, or maybe even a late round pick. In the end the guy may be too much like Mount Cody, but he might work out.

I agree he looks like hes got a dump in his diaper when he runs but he rarely gets pushed back. And in most games you almost always saw a double on him and sometimes a triple. And even then he rarely went backwards. I brought him up because i still think his best position is probably as a NT who can occupy more than one blocker. He clearly needs to get better at a lot of things but in the 5th or so he might not be a bad pick. He might be the slowest player in the draft. But also could be the strongest.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

It's not his speed, but his lack of short area quickness that bugs me. A lot of the best NT are really quick off the ball. Really, it is just their first step. McCullers is so slow, that the OL has already taken a step before he is starting to come out of his stance. But you are right, for a guy as slow as he is, and gets doubled as much as him, you don't see him going back very often.

There are two current players he reminds me of. Domtari Poe for KC, who is actually developing into a pretty good NT. I think he is a little overrated by some, but he is not a bad player. But Poe is a better athlete and moves much better. The other is Terrance Cody, who has been a disappointment so far. He has the same sort of issue, in that his strength is incredible, but he can't control the line. But unlike Cody, I don't think McCullers has the same kind of weight problem. He is huge, but he has gotten in better shape and he is just plain huge. He carries his weight pretty well. What neither of them has is much explosion off the ball. I'm just afraid that a team that likes to run outside would just single block him and rely on their RB to outrun him, so that we don't necessarily get the double team blocks we want.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

In the 5th range or later your probably not thinking starting caliber anyways. And a player with obvious limitations, but more of a depth player that can have a role. I dont see alot of DTs in this draft who make solid NTs other than maybe Nix and Jones. I see a lot of 34 DEs though. I thought Poe would make a better 43 DT and i sort of feel that way about Nix. I think most in this draft are 43DTs and 34DEs. Hageman/Jernigan/Sutton strike me as great 34 DE prospects.

Thing i like about Mccullers is that hes so inexperienced that he might have some upside with good coaching. Hes pretty lean for a man his size and with his strength i just cant help but feel that something can be done with him. He is built more like a monster OT with a lean build more than a NT.

I still would prefer we just bring in a vet NT so we dont need to worry about it anymore. Then draft a guy like McCullers as depth.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SFW
                      PB Official Game Thread Starter
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      My lastest mock based upon my disappointment with the Den Game. It's just as whimsical as all the rest. I'm beefing up both lines and the linebacker unit. I have to go FA for the O, Rivers isn't getting any younger so I'd prefer to get him experienced guys who can contribute right away.

1. Louis Nix, NT - Want a pass rusher, but not willing to take a chance on anybody there at pick 25. Nix is available, needed and safe.
                      2. Marcus Smith, OLB – Best available pass rusher
                      3. Morgan Moses, OT/OG – Big, physical, good feet
                      4. James Gayle, OLB – Best pass rusher available
                      5. Jaylen Watkins, CB – Taller cb with good speed
                      6. Preston Brown, ILB – Tall with speed and weight
                      I assume you are thinking they are not bringing back either Freeney, Johnson or even both?
                      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
                        I assume you are thinking they are not bringing back either Freeney, Johnson or even both?
                        I think Johnson had a decent year, I'm bringing him back if a decent contract can be worked out, even if it's a little high. IMO, Freeney's legs (ie rebuilt leg) are done. If he switches his roster bonuses to regular season pay, I'd love to bring him back to see if he can make the team. Otherwise, I'm letting him go.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                          Fluent in Sarcasm
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Iowa
                          • Man of the People
                          • Send PM

Texans owner Bob McNair, who is a South Carolina alumni, said Clowney is a better athlete then Mario Williams and has talked to JJ Watt about working with Clowney to instill the same work ethic he has within him.

Comment

Working...
                          X