Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      After reading that Grantland article, I want Cooks.
      Rather have Fuller (CB) and have gotten interested in Matthews, the WR from Vanderbilt. I think we need to go with the 'D' in the 1st round, probably CB. Don't like what I hear about Roby.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        Rather have Fuller (CB) and have gotten interested in Matthews, the WR from Vanderbilt. I think we need to go with the 'D' in the 1st round, probably CB. Don't like what I hear about Roby.
        You just don't like shrimps!
        Raw Shrimps or Cooks Shrimp
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Chargers draft preview: RBs to consider
          May, 7, 2014
          May 7
          4:15
          PM ET
          By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com

The San Diego Chargers appear set at running back.

Ryan Mathews is the incumbent starter, while Danny Woodhead remains the third-down back. And the Chargers signed Donald Brown in free agency as a complement to Mathews on early downs.

Still, Mathews and Woodhead will be free agents after the completion of the 2014 season, so the Chargers could conceivably consider drafting a running back as insurance should one of those two players move on in 2015.

The reason Chargers general manager Tom Telesco wants to stockpile running backs is running the football is tied to San Diego winning football games.

San Diego was 9-2 when the team totaled at least 112 rushing yards in a game in the 2013 season.

“We have a physical offensive line, and physical running back in Ryan, and I think that helps,” Telesco said. “It keeps people off balance and helps our passing game. We weren’t one-dimensional last year, even though we had a top-tier quarterback. So obviously it helps.”

Best RB drafted since 2004: Selected in the fourth round of the 2005 draft, Darren Sproles defined the role of a scat back in today’s NFL. Sproles served as Philip Rivers’ security blanket during his time in San Diego, and was named to the Chargers’ 50th anniversary team. With two, 1,000-yard rushing seasons in four years, Mathews is a close second.

Worst RB drafted since 2004: Selected in the fourth round (No. 134 overall) of the 2009 draft out of Colorado State, Gartrell Johnson never played a down during the regular season for the Chargers, and was waived by San Diego after the first game of the season. Johnson was claimed on waivers by the New York Giants, and played 19 games in the NFL, finishing with 73 rushing yards.

RB depth chart: Starter – Ryan Mathews ($2 million in total compensation in 2014). Reserves – Donald Brown ($4 million), Danny Woodhead ($1.75 million), Kerwynn Williams ($420,000), Zach Boren ($420,000).

A review of running backs San Diego might select in each round of this year’s draft:

First round, No. 25 pick: Carlos Hyde, 6-foot, 230 pounds, Ohio State
          Eric’s rationale: He’ll likely go in the second round, but Hyde is a physical thumper in the run game.

Second round, No. 57 pick: Bishop Sankey, 5-10, 209, Washington
          Eric’s rationale: Sankey is more explosive than folks give him credit for, and could develop in to a good third-down back in the NFL.

Third round, No. 89 pick: Jeremy Hill, 6-1, 233, LSU
          Eric’s rationale: A one-cut, downhill runner who finishes strong at the end of runs.

Fourth round, No. 125 pick: Charles Sims, 6-0, 216, West Virginia
          Eric’s rationale: Sims offers versatility, with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Fifth round, No. 165 pick: Ka'Deem Carey, 5-9, 209, Arizona
          Eric’s rationale: Carey ran a slow 40-yard time, but put on the tape – he can play.

Sixth round, No. 201 pick: De'Anthony Thomas, 5-9, 174, Oregon
          Eric’s rationale: Can contribute as a returner and possibly replace Woodhead if he moves on in free agency.

Seventh round, No. 240 pick: Tyler Gaffney, 6-0, 220, Stanford
          Eric’s rationale: The San Diego native is a hard runner who ran a surprisingly fast 40-yard time (4.49 seconds).

The San Diego Chargers appear set at running back.Ryan Mathews is the incumbent starter, while Danny Woodhead remains the third-down back. And the Chargers signed Donald Brown in free agency as a complement to Mathews on early downs.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
            ESPN did a mock on Stink's show this PM using ESPN's team correspondents. They seemed to do a pretty good job based on what they know about team needs, and the selections were fairly predictable. Eric Williams selected DT Nix, who Acee implies Chargers don't feel is a good value at that point. Aside from Mizzou's Ealy, didn't see many players left who were worthy of #25 during this mock (all the higher-rated CBs gone by that point.) Convinced me that a trade down still may be the best way to go...
            Liars month and a half has even hooked Acee
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Kyle
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Really don't want Roby at #25 or any corners after the top 3 at that spot. Would rather have someone like Barr, Ealy or Tuitt.
              sigpic

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                Cooks would be a great pick as well but i would be real happy with Fuller.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                  Really don't want Roby at #25 or any corners after the top 3 at that spot. Would rather have someone like Barr, Ealy or Tuitt.
                  SD may very well have Roby rated in their top 3 Cbs.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Rather have Cooks than Roby. Bring the outstanding person in that you know is going to work for greatness. Roby's commitment is more of a question mark.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                      I'm comparing Robinson to Larry Allen.
                      Plus he would help at what we do best and what's best for this team (control the clock).

I know this is all pipedreams. Having said that this team would be better with Robinson vs Watkins...
                      Right, but you haven't addressed my question. Am I wrong that the Cowboys ran a power scheme, and that Allen was primarily a road grader? Is Robinson suited to playing in a zone scheme? Because no matter how good he is as a power blocker, if he doesn't have the athleticism and smarts to play in a zone scheme he won't be of any help to us at all.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        Is there anyone who would not rather have Barr if he falls than one of the CBs?
                        Adipose

Comment

• Kyle
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                          Is there anyone who would not rather have Barr if he falls than one of the CBs?
                          I've heard some that consider him a project for the next year or so. Which is really probably what the corners are too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X