• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Mock Draft Tracker 3.0

Posted 6 hours ago

Ricky Henne Managing Editor Chargers.com @ChargersRHenne Facebook

Here is the third version of who some noted draft pundits have the Chargers selecting with the 25th overall selection in the 2014 draft.

In order to serve all Chargers fans, Chargers.com has compiled a list of who some top draft pundits are projecting the Bolts will select with the 25th pick in the draft.

With the NFL Scouting Combine now in the books, there have been quite a few changes since our last Mock draft Tracker a couple weeks back. Check out below who some notable analysts believe the Bolts will select in the first round of the draft on May 8th.

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah: CB Jason Verrett – TCU

What he says: “Verrett had an outstanding combine performance, and he has the ability to play both outside and in the slot... Quick, twitchy and explosive popping out of his pedal. Good eyes, anticipation and footwork. Very feisty and athletic. Outstanding instincts. Superb reactive quickness and recovery speed. Very good ball skills -- consistently makes plays on the ball. Very willing in run support and plays bigger than his size.”

NFL.com’s Charles Davis: DT Louis Nix – Notre Dame

What he says: “The Chargers continue to fortify their playoff team with the big nose tackle…. Outstanding size. Commands a double team and has two-gap ability. Good quickness off the snap. Has press strength and power to push blockers into the backfield. Shows disruptive ability when his battery is charged. Flashes an arm-over. Redirects well for a big man. Nice pursuit effort. Strong wrap tackler. Scheme versatile.”

NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks: CB Jason Verrett – TCU

What he says: “Verrett might be the most complete corner in the draft. He is at his best locking down receivers in man coverage, but his willingness to thump runners on the edge makes him a likely starter from Day 1.”

NFL.com’s Matt Smith: CB Bradley Roby – Ohio State

What he says: “Roby is the best corner on the board at this point…. Thin ankles. Plays bigger than his size. Feisty, aggressive tackler -- does not hesitate to throw his weight around. Terrific balance. Quick feet and loose hips. Easy change of direction. Flips his hips and has ample speed to run vertically. Can mirror off the line and shadow slot receivers. Sudden athlete. Plants and drives in a blink. Shows recovery speed. Quick-handed to play the pocket. Has springs. Displays good zone awareness and has experience in off-man. Dangerous as a blitzer and kick-block rusher. Has experience working as a gunner. Confident and competitive. Excellent production on the ball -- 35 passes defended in last two seasons.”

CBSSports.com’s Rob Rang: CB Justin Gilbert – Oklahoma State

What he says: “The Chargers’ run to the playoffs was all the more impressive when one considers that the team ranked last in the AFC (and 29th overall) in pass defense. Gilbert relies too much on his athleticism but it is tough to blame him, given his remarkable fluidity and speed. He's a proven playmaker who led the Big 12 with seven interceptions in 2013 and returned six kickoffs for scores over his collegiate career.”

CBSSports.com’s Dane Brugler: CB Jason Verrett - TCU

What he says: “Upgrades are needed so if San Diego goes cornerback here, it shouldn't be a surprise. And it would be even less of a surprise if Verrett is still available.”

CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco: CB Jason Verrett - TCU

What he says: “They have to get better outside and he had a nice combine workout and scouts like his ability to play man. He is a little undersized.”

CBSSports.com’s Pat Kirwan: DE/OLB Kony Ealy– Missouri

What he says: “Another example of the best player available. I have had Ealy as high as No. 15 to Pittsburgh. There's always room for big, strong down linemen.”

Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks: CB Jason Verrett - TCU

What he says: “The Chargers are yet another team that could be in the market for some cornerback help late in the first round, having made the playoffs despite finishing last in the AFC, and 29th overall, in pass defense. It may be a case of picking their favorite flavor at the position, with Verrett, Florida's Marcus Roberson and Loucheiz Purifoy, and Ohio State's Bradley Roby all bunched together in terms of their projected draft spots. Verrett is viewed as an ideal slot corner, being a little undersized at 5-9, 185, but playing with a sense of toughness and physicality, in addition to having quick feet and polished cover skills.

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke: CB Jason Verrett - TCU

What he says: “Whichever guy the Bengals pass on would make sense here. Verrett is on the small side at 5-foot-9, but he also reminded everyone who asked at the combine that he covered much bigger receivers out wide during his TCU career. He may have a better chance to succeed in the slot as an NFL corner. Pigeon-holing him into just that spot would be a mistake.”

SBNation’s Dan Kadar: OG Xavier Su'a-Filo - UCLA

What he says: “Su'a-Filo has emerged as the best guard in the draft this year. He's not a fun defensive pick for the Chargers, but he would upgrade the offensive line.”

SBNation’s Matthew Fairburn: OL Zack Martin – Notre Dame

What he says: “Despite being a left tackle for Notre Dame, some consider Martin to be the top guard in the draft. He certainly looked like it at the Senior Bowl. Martin could plug in next to D.J. Fluker on the right side of the line to give the Chargers an incredible pair for a decade.”

Bleacher Report NFL Draft Lead Writer Matt Miller: CB Jason Verrett - TCU

What he says: “The San Diego Chargers made the postseason thanks to the resurgence of Philip Rivers in Mike McCoy's system. In 2014, they're hoping to make small fixes to the roster that can push them over the top in the AFC West. Verrett has the toughness and ball skills to be a very good outside cornerback in the NFL. He's quick and rangy and shows the instincts to get in place to make big plays. He finds the ball well and has the tools to excel in man or zone coverage. The Chargers need a true No. 1 cornerback in the secondary, and Verrett can be that guy.”

Bleacher Report’s Brian Mazique: DT Louis Nix – Notre Dame

What he says: “Nix is a big-time run stuffer. He's the only interior defensive lineman on Jernigan's level in that regard. The Chargers run defense allowed 4.6 yards per carry in 2013. That's a high number for any team hoping to advance deeper than the divisional playoff round in the postseason. Nix III could help to improve the team in this area.”

Bleacher Report’s Scott Polacek: CB Darqueze Dennard – Michigan State

What he says: “He would immediately help the San Diego Chargers pass defense with his physical style and knack for making big plays. He was at his best when the Spartans won the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl and wouldn’t shrink from the moment under the lights in the NFL.”

Bleacher Report’s Chris Roling: CB Darqueze Dennard – Michigan State

What he says: “Darqueze Dennard certainly has his detractors, but his physical coverage is a welcome addition to San Diego. Fresh off a playoff victory, the Chargers could not ask for a better scenario.”
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I just dont get the Verrett love with Steve Williams already on the roster. I still think Verrett will end up a slot CB.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        TonyPauline: I can confirm Jason Verrett/CB/TCU will have surgery to repair his injured labrum. More later

He can kiss the first round goodbye.
        He fits right in here. Time to get that injury/surgery out of the way before Charger's training camp starts. Just being talked about as a Bolt causes injury.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

An injured labrum is better to deal with than a leg or groin injury for a DB. I still think that Verrett may picked in the first round, and he won't fall too far into the second.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Verrett is he only CB id like in the first round but if he has surgery wont he be out for the year? If so, he is out for us.

Comment

• blahblahblah
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Verrett is he only CB id like in the first round but if he has surgery wont he be out for the year? If so, he is out for us.
              I dunno, may as well get the IR quota started early.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                Everybody except for the imported athletes.
                And Prince.

Comment

• Kyle
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  When I watched the clips of him, I don't see his skills as a RB in the NFL. He looks like a slot guy to me. So many of the routes he runs in those highlights are the routes our WR run, although at leat through most of the season, there is not much difference between our outside and insider WR.
                  Yeah when I watched those clips it reminded me of Tavon Austin's reel. Similar frame, routes and skill set. Austin is a slot receiver who can rush the ball situationally. D'Anthony is a RB, but would be better served in the slot in the NFL and change of pace RB. He's insane in the open field. Outstanding returner.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The other thing that worries me is the lack of a background pass protecting. Even a guy like Mathews who was asked to do some pass protection in college ended up struggling in it in the pros. Given his size and his lack of background, that could be a real problem at RB.

Back in the 90's, Atlanta used Eric Metcalf as a slot WR/RB, where they gave him a lot of carries on shot reverses and such out of the slot. He didn't line up in the backfield at all. The college double slot offenses use their slot WR that way.

I do like the idea of getting Thomas since we could really help our return game. The stats I have been crunching really infer that a big part of our success if field position. Last year we HAD to put together long drives, which is not altogether a bad thing, because it controls the clock. But if we can get ourselves some extra yards on every drive before they even start, it should help us in the long run (although it might actually hurt the ball control side of things).

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      TonyPauline: I can confirm Jason Verrett/CB/TCU will have surgery to repair his injured labrum. More later

He can kiss the first round goodbye.
                      You're the doc, but you think a labrum surgery will deter teams? Torn labrums are very common. I played through mine, but I was told that if I were to keep playing long term surgery would be an option that would allow me to come back full strength.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

The former NFL QB offers his picks, and no, he doesn't have Johnny Manziel going in Round 1.

More than a few surprises in this Mock.

Comment

• floydefisher
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • siberiacuse, ny
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          Immaturity and heavy duty partying are the last qualities I want in a qb.
                          God, does that bring back some bad memories....Ryan Leaf anyone? :lol:
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X