• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Another Verrett prediction. Also has us taking Morgan Moses in Rd 2.

25. San Diego Chargers (9-7): Jason Verrett, CB, TCU.

Whichever guy the Bengals pass on would make sense here. Verrett is on the small side at 5-foot-9, but he also reminded everyone who asked at the combine that he covered much bigger receivers out wide during his TCU career. He may have a better chance to succeed in the slot as an NFL corner. Pigeon-holing him into just that spot would be a mistake.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Can Moses play OG? Would be a solid backup plan at LT. Just noticed he said he can play anywhere. Love that attitude. I think that's a legit option if we decide to part with Clary/Rinehart.
      Last edited by Beerman; 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        Can Moses play OG? Would be a solid backup plan at LT. Just noticed he said he can play anywhere. Love that attitude. I think that's a legit option if we decide to part with Clary/Rinehart.
        I'll confess I've never seen him play and had to Google him. But this breakdown is impressive.

If you can get a player like that in round two and he's BPA vs some of our other needs, I'd jump on him. That said, I don't like the combination of Verrett and Moses for us this year with so many front seven needs for us on D.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          I'll confess I've never seen him play and had to Google him. But this breakdown is impressive.

If you can get a player like that in round two and he's BPA vs some of our other needs, I'd jump on him. That said, I don't like the combination of Verrett and Moses for us this year with so many front seven needs for us on D.
          Yea I do agree it wouldn't be ideal, but it would fill two starting voids. It probably wouldn't be my first choice of pairings, but it could be worse probably.

When you think about it, Moses fills two needs if he eventually has to slide over to LT. I'd much rather take a legit OT prospect and play him at OG. That versatility is very desirable.
          Last edited by Beerman; 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

(12:01 AM): Combine down to final day in Indy ... The annual scouting combine wraps up in Indianapolis later today after the defensive backs go through their on-field physical testing and positional drills. The CBs and safeties hit the field at 9 AM ET later this morning with coverage again on the NFL Network. We'll also be blogging the days highs and lows.
            This and that … Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt did not particpate in Monday’s workout for defensive linemen after he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot during the medical resting portion of the combine; Tuitt is expected to have surgery within the next week and will require 6-8 weeks recovery time, but the injury is not considered to be that major … Never sure what to make of the combines agility tests including the 3-cone drill and short shuttle; seems half the time a guy has a time near the top of his position in one, but then is near the bottom in the other. So just for fun we added the times of the two shuttles for the LBs who ran at Monday’s combine session. The lowest total time was recorded by somewhat unheralded South Dakota OLB Tyler Starr who was the only LB to go under 4-seconds flat in the short shuttle. The more interesting result though was that the absolute worst total time among the LBs was posted by Alabama’s CJ Mosley,one of the top 2-3 LBs in this year's draft class. For the record, UCLA’s Anthony Barr was also near the top as was Stanford OLB/DE Trent Murphy who did not run well in the 40, but was quicker in the agility drills … Interesting comments by Jacksonville head coach Gus Bradley after the team interviewed all three of this year’s top QB prospects in Johnny Manziel of Texas AM, UCF’s Blake Borles and Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville. Bradley said that Bortles had the ‘stronger‘personality, while Manziel was a ‘mix of both personalities‘, although its not clear whether he was referring to him being a mix of Bortles and Bridgewater or a mix of Manziel and Johnny Football. Could be a little of both! Whatever, Bradley and the Jaguars told all three guys after their interviews that they would be seeing them again … Northern Illinois QB Jordan Lynch did some drills at RB after Sunday‘s positional tests for the QBs ...

GBN has the Combine results in a Google Doc so we can take those numbers and recreate Kirwans Explosion formula as well as a closer look at the Short Shuttle numbers plus the three cone drill...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Cut Freeney/English/Floyd and Cox. Sign Orakpo.

Draft

1. Gilbert CB
              2. Moses OT/OG
              3. Moncrief WR
              4. McCullers NT

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

People are sure quick to overlook the really sloppy play by Luiget and Reyes for most of the season. I love their potential too, but I guess I'm not willing to bank on it, at least not without stacking somebody behind them.

But - I'm more hopeful TT drafts a few more playmakers/just awesome football players for us, whatever the position.
                Last edited by blueman; 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Draft

1. Gilbert CB
                  2. Moses OT/OG
                  3. Moncrief WR
                  4. McCullers NT
                  1. I would love to get Gilbert in round 1. He is significantly more athletic than I thought he was although I always knew that he had good ball skills and return man skills. The impression I had of him was that he was inconsistent in coverage, but he took a step forward in the Combine by showing top notch athleticism. Unfortunately, because he took a step forward in the Combine, we probably will not see him at #25.

2. I would also love to get Moses in round 2. The talk of playing him at guard is a little curious to me. I have only heard of him as a left tackle, which we need in the long term. His CBS NFL player comparison is Ryan Clady, which suggests that he may have a fairly high ceiling. Again, I question if he will be there when we pick in round 2.

3. I really like Moncrief too. He has great size, speed and hands. I think he is the real deal. But he is way faster than people thought he was when they suggested that he was a round 3-4 guy. Unfortunately, this is another great player that may have "Combined" himself right out of our reach (would have loved for him to have gone more under the radar at the Combine).

4. Now who would have ever thought this would happen? I am probably the biggest "we must have a NT" proponent on this board and the only pick I don't really like is McCullers, the NT. I like Ellis better as a developmental NT. He is a 4-5 guy, which means we might have to get him in round 4 to get him.

Still, I would take McCullers in round 4 if you guaranteed me the other 3 players in rounds 1-3. That's a very good list overall. I guess by getting Orakpo we would not need another OLB. Orakpo will be very expensive and we are salary cap cash strapped, so signing him might present as a huge problem.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Draft

1. Gilbert CB
                    2. Moses OT/OG
                    3. Moncrief WR
                    4. McCullers NT
                    Do you really think Gilbert will still be there at 25?

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      I'm liking the potential choices at 25 more and more. But if the Browns wanted to throw us a 4 to move down one spot to prevent us from trading it to someone else, I'd take it.
                      To me, if we have multiple trade back options, I think it depends on which players are there at #25, assuming that the Browns would take Carr at #26. If we do not like anybody at #25, then we should consider trading back to a team like Minnesota at #40 and collecting their third round pick at #72 as well.

Also, the draft pick trading points value chart suggests that the fair value to move up from #26 to #25, only 20 points, is a middle 6th round pick, not a 4th round pick, so the Browns would have to be, well, the Browns to make such an offer. Of course, the chart does not consider the compensatory picks that are sprinkled in, so later round regular picks have slightly less value in terms of points than the chart might appear to suggest.

Comment

• Yubaking
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        People are sure quick to overlook the really sloppy play by Luiget and Reyes for most of the season. I love their potential too, but I guess iIm not willing to bank on it, at least not without stacking somebody behind them.

But - I'm more hopeful TT drafts a few more playmakers/just awesome football players for us, whatever the position.
                        That's why I have Hageman and Tuitt as the next best players to get if Nix, Dennard, Mosley, Lewan, Gilbert and Martin are gone. I would hope that Hageman would come in and start over Reyes right away, keeping Reyes fresh for pass rushing downs and an occasional snap here and there to give rest to Liuget and Hageman.

That said, after Gilbert, I might prefer trade back versus Martin, Hageman or Tuitt if we can find a trading partner.
                        Last edited by Yubaking; 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

I don't expect the draft to go the way we want anyway. Verrett/Moses works for me. I am big on getting improved players on both lines. And a guard/backup OLT is way up on my list.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X