• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Who cares if they can pull|? We play a zone running game. The whole reason for teams inventing zone blocking was to AVOID having to have OL pulling.
    Not necessarily. We ran a significant number of snaps from 2 TE sets that required our LG to pull.

(As an aside this was a good article for people that don't know about a ZBS
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...alysis-diagram)

While we don't pull on every play, having more athletic OG's would still be beneficial to get to the 2nd level. Being more athletic doesn't mean they are smaller or weaker than traditional big uglies. It just means they don't have 80 lbs of fat around the midsection.
    Last edited by Beerman; 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Dosnt even look like Amaro out there.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

TE is so deep this year. A guy like Austin Sefarian Jenkins would be a great pairing with Ladarius post Gates era.

Comment

• Jaywa
          Bosa!
          • Jun 2013
          • Beaverton, OR
          • Tech Support and Community Management
          • Send PM

Dunno if UO TE Colt Lyerla is on anyone's radar, but a 4.47 is utterly shocking.

Edit: Perhaps it's the coke.
          Last edited by Jaywa; 02-22-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• SFW
            PB Official Game Thread Starter
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jaywa View Post
            Dunno if UO TE Colt Lyerla is on anyone's radar, but a 4.47 is utterly shocking.

Edit: Perhaps it's the coke.
            If still there in 7th I would take a gamble on him. Probably not before then, maybe 6th at absolutely earliest.
            1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
            2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
            3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
            4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
            5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
            6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
            7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

TE i like is Niklas. He looks good out there even with an injury.

Comment

• zoom
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Amaro was a let down for me. I was thinking he would be a BPA candidate at 25.

ASJ has had a very disappointing year from the DUI to present.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I think it would be nice to have a guy who could block and replace Phillips but also come in and take over for Gates. Niklas is probably the most complete TE in the draft as far as blocking and receiving goes. I dont think hes a block only TE at the next level. I liked the way he looked on the field today.

Actually not too impressed with the TEs this year.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I don't necessarily think we need a great blocking TE, but he needs to be able to do more than Gates does. Gates was even more terrible than his usual self at blocking this season. I really, really like the options we have offensively when we are in two TE sets and it showed towards the end of the season how devastating it can be when combined with a strong running game. The key is having both those TEs as threats in the passing game. It just causes so many issues for opposing defenses.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      Not necessarily. We ran a significant number of snaps from 2 TE sets that required our LG to pull.

(As an aside this was a good article for people that don't know about a ZBS
                      http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...alysis-diagram)

While we don't pull on every play, having more athletic OG's would still be beneficial to get to the 2nd level. Being more athletic doesn't mean they are smaller or weaker than traditional big uglies. It just means they don't have 80 lbs of fat around the midsection.
                      I think you are thinking of the backside trap on our counter play. WE really don't pull and lead. When you trap the DT, if it is to the 3 technique side, the trap hits very far to the outside and kinda looks like he is leading into space. But as long as the guy keep the DT outside, it really doesn't matter that much.

Part of the reason we should get away from doing too much of that crap is that not very many guys are any good at it, plus you have to spend a ton of practice time at it to even be fair at it. I would rather see us stick to the primarily zone running, with the complimentary counter-trap to slow the backside pursuit. The more things you try to do, the greater the likelihood that you don't do any of them well.

That was really where we made the huge improvement in our blocking last year, was to just not ask them to run dozens of different runs. We don't always have one that is perfect for every situation, but we have a few basic runs that work well against almost every D.

As far as TE goes, we need one who can block. Having a pair of guys who can challenge D is great, but unless we can do a better job on the edge. Austin Sefarian Jenkins has the chance to be that guy, since he was a good blocker for a TE in college. The thing I kinda like is that he is such a poor route runner. Getting him with Gates and Metzalaars, they could really make him a much better receiver.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        I don't necessarily think we need a great blocking TE, but he needs to be able to do more than Gates does. Gates was even more terrible than his usual self at blocking this season. I really, really like the options we have offensively when we are in two TE sets and it showed towards the end of the season how devastating it can be when combined with a strong running game. The key is having both those TEs as threats in the passing game. It just causes so many issues for opposing defenses.
                        Id like to give Patrick Young a workout. Some say hes the next Graham/Gates. Freak athletic basketball center for the gators.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Report: Cyrus Kouandjio has failed some physicals

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 22, 2014, 4:20 PM EST

Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio didn’t help his draft stock Saturday by running a lumbering 5.53 in his 40-yard dashes.

But the reason he looked so slow might be more of a concern to teams.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, “several teams” have failed Kouandjio on his physical because of an arthritic knee, which stemmed from a failed surgery.

The massive blocker was considered a first-round talent when he left school, but those medical concerns could cause him to slide, and make teams wonder where to draw the line between obvious talent and potential medical risk.

He also put up 21 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press, and while his long arms are a factor, that’s still a low number for a player who could have made a name for himself this weekend for the right reasons
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X