• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

New NFL Mock has us taking Kony Ealy in the first. Wonder if he can actually transition to a 3-4 OLB figured he would be a 4-3 end. Barely saw Mizzou play this year. 6'5 275lb seems like he would fit at SOLB. Spending a year learning from JJ seems ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-d..._writers_davis

New NFL Mock has us taking Kony Ealy in the first. Wonder if he can actually transition to a 3-4 OLB figured he would be a 4-3 end. Barely saw Mizzou play this year. 6'5 275lb seems like he would fit at SOLB. Spending a year learning from JJ seems ideal.
      I got to see him vs OSU here locally, but wasn't super impressed by him. From what I did see, he might be better at OLB.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-d..._writers_davis

What I've heard is that he will most likely be a 4-3 end but teams do want to see his workouts to get an idea of how he works in space....I wouldn't be against taking this guy if available.....6'5"/ 275 coming off the edge sounds like a handfull.
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Cotton Bowl

Highlights

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

That OK St. game isn't very impressive. He doesn't have that burst off the line I like to see from elite pass rushers. He looks like a much better run defender. Even his sacks weren't all that great. One they just gave him a free pass.

I stand by my initial assessment that there are really only 3 elite, 1st round pass rushers in this draft - Clowney, Barr, Mack. Ford can potentially sneak into this group, but I still worry about his size.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

No, Ealy isn't in the same class as the top 3. But that doesn't mean he is not going to be a good player. He got a lot better this season, and was already a good player coming in. I still say his teammate Michael Sam is a better player at this point, but the more you watch Ealy run and move, the better I end up liking him. What he lacks in terms of burst, he makes up for in his hand use. It is inconsistent, but he is learning to use his hands and has powerful hands to shed with. HE gets a lot of his sacks off a good hard move followed by a quick blow with his hands followed by him closing.

If I had to pick one of the guys outside the top 3 (and Clowney scares me), I would say that Ealy is the guy to take. I know he isn't going to do much his rookie year, but I like his potential down the road.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

I like Ealy more as an OLB then where a few of my buddies think he belongs at 5T. I just dont think he can handle 2 gaps on run downs. But hes a really good run defender. I think in time he would be a nice upgrade to JJ. He needs time but hes worth the upside. Most of the pass rushers will be drafted on upside. I think Mack is the most NFL ready pass rusher and best overall OLB prospect.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I think Ealy will be in the Bolt's private workout list at the least. He has size and potential.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Can he play the 5 technique as a 3/4 DE? Can he play OLB in a sub package? Can he cover the RB or TE? I see a 4/3 DE that needs converting to the roll, why not ask Donald to lose 30 pounds and play OLB, at least he has the hand fighting technique and moves to go up vs an OT...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Those are too many IF's to risk on a 1st round pick? Do people not remember that 4 year run where we got Zero out of our first rounders? We need a sure thing in the first. It's all about limiting risk and getting a solid NFL starter. Ideally he's polished enough to start from day 1.

Ealy likely has success as a 4-3 DE. You can't really say he would as a 3-4 OLB. Not to mention he's probable best fit is at SOLB, which coincidentally is Ingram's best fit as well IMO.

In my perfect world we acquire a Von Miller clone. We are sorely lacking speed in our front 4. Running QBs destroy us consistently. We HAVE to improve our team speed on the D Line. That means going for the 245 lb guy vs the 275lb guy. It's one of the reasons I want Barr (and am intrigued by Ford).

Mobile QBs are here to stay, we have to make adjustments.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Well, we could always just switch to the 43...

I agree with Beerman that we need speed. We need it everywhere on defense, but especially in the front 7. Call it speed or acceleration or whatever, but we play slow. Ealy doesn't look like an answer to that.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Beer, how many can't miss prospects are there? And how many of them last to 25?

As far as guys who play OLB, if you play the 34, you just have toe deal with the fact that the vast majority of the prospects to play the position are going to play DE in college and have to learn.

I disagree that Ealy doesn't add speed to our front 7. He doesn't add any long speed, but he is quick and make s a lot more plays in pursuit then we are used to. He is an upgrade, even if he is not a 4.5 guy.

I agree, I don't think that Ealy is going to have a majorly productive rookie year as a pass rusher. But, I am pretty solidly on record as saying that I don't think any outside pass rusher will either (maybe Clowney). To me, that is not a reason to not draft someone at that position. That is the norm. It takes time to develop pass rushers.

So, we need to get started. The sooner the better. To what degree, and how many picks is something we will see about in the next 3 weeks, as we decide how many vets will be brought back, and scout the players that are out there. But not drafting a pass rusher because they are sort of high risk is not a reason. It is, but it is not going to change and pass rushers are what we need. If we think the guys aren't going to be good pass rushers, then we shouldn't pick them. But all pass rushers are high risk unless you have some insight as to what specifically you need to look for in a great outside pass rusher.

Comment

Working...
                          X