• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Go Chargers go
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Shore up the line for Herbert, cool... Let me tell you how that will go.

Herbert has all day to throw!? No he doesn't... No oline is impenetrable. He still gets hurried or sacked because he has to take longer to find someone that can get open. Why? KA is double teamed, MW is injured, and we refused to draft him a quality TE in the first round.
    It depends on what play Harbaugh calls. You realize TT and other amateur are gone.

herbert only needs a few more seconds
    you watch any games, KA had over 100 catches an plenty of yards

Comment

• Go Chargers go
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2023
      • Send PM

I also would be happy if we could trade down at get Bowers 10-13 pick. We can definitely add OL in 2nd rd

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

why would Pitt's production even factor into the equation? ATL has not exactly been the kind of landing spot to showcase his vast potential, us drafting bowers at #5 would be a completely different situation than ATL drafting Pitts at #4, Bowers would be coming to team with one of the best QBs in the NFL who now also features one of the best coaches in the NFL...two COMPLETELY different situations and what happened in ATL has zero bearing on what would happen with Bowers in LA...
        Pitts was the last generational TE. I hate that term not only because I have no idea what it means, but I don't necessarily think it is true. Several of the better TE in the NFL were not highly regarded coming out, and I am thinking LaPorta, Kelce and Kittle here.

As far as the situation, there are never completely comparable situations, so it is always a matter of degrees for analogies. The one analogy that probably deserves the most discussion is about roster building in general. Unfortunately it seems to be Bowers vs everyone else. The funny thing is that I think this draft could be really unpredictable. I do like Bowers, but I am not a Bowers or bust mode at all. Bowers looks like he has the brains to be a great receiving TE, which makes him a safety blanket for Herbert.

Surprisingly, the things that probably should be getting discussed and aren't

1). Bowers had a pretty serious injury. TE is a contact position, where a fair # of players have short-ish careers and struggled with injuries this year. I'm not saying I would discount Bowers for that reason, but he has been dinged up some in his college career. is he a good fit for us for that reason?

2). With the QB going ahead of us, does Harrison slide to 5. Someone pointed out earlier that AZ has a lot of draft capital, and that is true-ish, but can you ever really have enough if you are a fairly new HC rebuilding a team? The reason trading down is so popular is drafting players is a low-probability thing. The odds are better at high rounds, but they aren't exactly good. Trading down and adding picks improves team building because you have more throws of the dice. And is Gannon all that thrilled with Kyler Muray? Maybe they are in the QB mix? All I am saying is maybe Harrison is more in play at #5 than people think.

3). I am all on board with the idea of trading down, but I don't think it is that easy to do. I like this draft overall, and I think a lot of teams are probably looking to trade down. If everyone wants down, is the price what we want, and in the end, it is still about getting good/great players were we can.

4). For the draft OL crowd, lets remember, as bad as the OL was (there is no denying it) but there are bodies there and we are much closer to being set there than we are at DL. If you are arguing that we have to go lines first, the DL is simply awful, particuarly inside. The OL is a group that I think will benefit a good deal from Harbaughing, but the DT???? And we don't know what the state of the DE is? Just saying people might want to start looking DL too. Are Otito, Matlock and Clark the answers? Maybe they are, but we haven't seen it yet.

5). Again, Harbaugh, every place he has gone, he has kicked ass and taken names. Teams that were sloppy and not physical got that way quickly. Does that mean he wants that and can get it in later rounds .. so what about CB in the 1st?

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Pitts was the last generational TE. I hate that term not only because I have no idea what it means, but I don't necessarily think it is true. Several of the better TE in the NFL were not highly regarded coming out, and I am thinking LaPorta, Kelce and Kittle here.

As far as the situation, there are never completely comparable situations, so it is always a matter of degrees for analogies. The one analogy that probably deserves the most discussion is about roster building in general. Unfortunately it seems to be Bowers vs everyone else. The funny thing is that I think this draft could be really unpredictable. I do like Bowers, but I am not a Bowers or bust mode at all. Bowers looks like he has the brains to be a great receiving TE, which makes him a safety blanket for Herbert.

1). Bowers had a pretty serious injury. TE is a contact position, where a fair # of players have short-ish careers and struggled with injuries this year. I'm not saying I would discount Bowers for that reason, but he has been dinged up some in his college career. is he a good fit for us for that reason?

2). With the QB going ahead of us, does Harrison slide to 5. Someone pointed out earlier that AZ has a lot of draft capital, and that is true-ish, but can you ever really have enough if you are a fairly new HC rebuilding a team? The reason trading down is so popular is drafting players is a low-probability thing. The odds are better at high rounds, but they aren't exactly good. Trading down and adding picks improves team building because you have more throws of the dice. And is Gannon all that thrilled with Kyler Muray? Maybe they are in the QB mix? All I am saying is maybe Harrison is more in play at #5 than people think.

3). I am all on board with the idea of trading down, but I don't think it is that easy to do. I like this draft overall, and I think a lot of teams are probably looking to trade down. If everyone wants down, is the price what we want, and in the end, it is still about getting good/great players were we can.

4). For the draft OL crowd, lets remember, as bad as the OL was (there is no denying it) but there are bodies there and we are much closer to being set there than we are at DL. If you are arguing that we have to go lines first, the DL is simply awful, particuarly inside. The OL is a group that I think will benefit a good deal from Harbaughing, but the DT???? And we don't know what the state of the DE is? Just saying people might want to start looking DL too. Are Otito, Matlock and Clark the answers? Maybe they are, but we haven't seen it yet.

5). Again, Harbaugh, every place he has gone, he has kicked ass and taken names. Teams that were sloppy and not physical got that way quickly. Does that mean he wants that and can get it in later rounds .. so what about CB in the 1st?
          Bowers had the high ankle sprain this season and he elected for the tight rope surgery so he could come back sooner. He came back in the last game after 26 days after the surgery and he wasn't 100%.

He didn't miss any games as a freshman or sophomore but that isn't to say he didn't have injuries. Just not big enough to keep him out.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont like that word generational. Its thrown around too often.
            There's a lot of other words I don't like that get thrown around too often or easily.

As far as the draft pick goes. I'll be happy with Bowers or any of the WRs that will help.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

No wr in the first this year, please.
              Det suffered a very long time with that strategy.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Not getting the argument Bowers coming to us means he’s coming to an established and successful O. Even with Herbert, our O kinda sucked, especially late in games (3rd quarter, anyone?). We also have a big hurdle with not winning one-score games. Could a player like Bowers help with that? Sure I can see the possibilities, maybe, hard telling, but so could a lot of the top talent in this draft, we need help everywhere. 5-12.

Trade down seems most prudent, more picks (especially the first few rounds) means more chances to land some good players.
                maybe the offense would improve dramatically if it had a dominant TE to crack the game wide open and make Justin's job a hell of a lot easier...when I think back at what Winslow meant to Fouts and Gates meant to both Brees and Rivers, I think it's high fucking time Herbert got his own version of that, don't you?
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Shore up the line for Herbert, cool... Let me tell you how that will go.

Herbert has all day to throw!? No he doesn't... No oline is impenetrable. He still gets hurried or sacked because he has to take longer to find someone that can get open. Why? KA is double teamed, MW is injured, and we refused to draft him a quality TE in the first round, AND TT FAILED TO ACQUIRE A DECENT RT AND A SOLID BACKUP CENTER.
                  There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I wouldn't exactly say Bowers has been dinged up all that much. He played all 15 games his first two years, then missed 5 games last year...still played in 10. Better than Bosa...

image.png

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

maybe the offense would improve dramatically if it had a dominant TE to crack the game wide open and make Justin's job a hell of a lot easier...when I think back at what Winslow meant to Fouts and Gates meant to both Brees and Rivers, I think it's high fucking time Herbert got his own version of that, don't you?
                      Sure. But where are these other components you are inferring? Zero running game, Swiss cheese OL, and suspect WRs (health, hands, health, etc.). Not sure how a rookie “generational” TE breaks this O open, but bring him on!

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wouldn't exactly say Bowers has been dinged up all that much. He played all 15 games his first two years, then missed 5 games last year...still played in 10. Better than Bosa...

image.png
                        https://www.footballdb.com/players/b...wers-bower0037
                        Lol.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Sure. But where are these other components you are inferring? Zero running game, Swiss cheese OL, and suspect WRs (health, hands, health, etc.). Not sure how a rookie “generational” TE breaks this O open, but bring him on!
                          the picture is not as bleak as you paint it, the OL is a solid center away from being complete, they were one of the best units on the team to start 2023 before linsley went down with the heart thing...there is already enough on OL be competitive and Hortiz being a Baltimore guy you know they are going to beef it up even more during the draft...Keenan is coming back, and I'll say the same about the WR room, it's not as bad as you make it out to be...KA, QJ, JP, DD, and they might bring back guyton and still draft a guy in mid to late rounds in a very deep WR class as well...considering all the issues of last season it is way way beyond premature to give up on QJ already...

based on what Bowers has already put on tape, do honestly think he won't be an issue for opposing defenses? this team is already losing MW and Ekeler and Austin was one of Herbert's favorite go to guys in critical passing situations...they need another guy to help fill that void...The Charger TE room is in shambles, there is almost nothing there...they need to Bowers big time...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X