• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Way too much discussion on Bowers.
    The he's my favorite player bit and how he's a culture changer makes me leery.

They should be raw meat passing through our processing plant.

Keenan Allen getting extended means two years where 3rd down mostly goes through him.
    Tight end position will be a bit de emphasized.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
      I think of Bowers as an offensive weapon, kind of like the way I thought of Ekeler when he was here, he wasn't just a RB, Bowers is not just a TE, it's not easy to assign a value to these types of players but I can assure you that the mismatches that they create play havoc with defensive game plans...you want players like that to create mismatches and take pressure off of Herbert...I don't care about previous history of TEs drafted high or whatever some preconceived notions the masses have about artificially assigned values to specific positions...I have not issue with the Chargers taking Bowers at #5 because I know what that would mean for Justin...
      That is a great assessment of Bowers

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Recent NFL history is rife with examples of tight ends who dominated in college and were drafted high but did not repeat that success in the NFL.

Now please understand I am not saying I think Bowers will be a bust. I don't think he will be. I'm saying two things:

1. Success in college does not automatically mean success in the NFL.

2. In recent NFL history the best tight ends have been drafted in later rounds, and the first TE drafted has not been the best TE in his class.

Look at Kyle Pitts - #4 overall in 2021 and he has been decent, but dominant.

Like I have said, I won't hate it if Harbaugh & Hortiz decide to use the #5 pick on Bowers. The Chargers have a rich TE history. Gates and Winslow Sr. are usually included on every top 10 list of NFL tight ends. It would be fitting if they drafted Bowers and he turned out to be as good in the NFL as he was in college.

But Bowers' success in the NFL is not a slam dunk sure thing. Chances are a TE drafted in the later rounds in 2024 will be the best TE in his class.

So I'm saying that the No. 5 overall pick in 2024 is better used to trade down to stockpile picks in the value rounds, 2-4, to fill the needs. If the Chargers have a decent draft and get good rookie production from multiple rookies, they can be Lombardi contenders in 2024. Running back, cornerback, speed WR, center, linebacker. Who knows, they might find a TE gem in 3rd, 4th or 5th round.
        I hear what you are saying.

I already commented on Pitts. He has not been dominant up to now but some very valid circumstances with that offense in Atlanta have been a factor. Bowers is a more well rounded TE prospect as well.

I completely understand that college success is only part of the picture and does not guarentee NFL success but that applies to every single player picked in this draft. I expect Bowers to show well at the combine to add his college resume. Many scouting experts say Bowers is not only one the of the best players in this draft but one of the safest. Many figured he was ready for the NFL as a freshman. The guy is special. The guy is a baller.

Yes I understand that in some classes the first TE drafted isnt always the best NFL player but in this draft I really dont see that being the case. In this draft Bowers is ina class all on his own. The drop off after Bowers is massive. That is why without any really good TES on this roster, with TE being so important to Harbaugh, Bowers is a consideration with the top pick. Last years TE class was deep with options , the deepest in many years. Also too early after one year to conclude that Kincaid wont be the best. He showed good flashes but had to share snaps with Dawson Knox who just had signed a big contract in Buffalo. he wasnt going to be phased out right away. LaPorta had no competetion for snaps in Detroit. They were also only 9 picks apart. Kincaid late first. LaPorta early second. Neither are at Bowers level coming into the draft.

Clearly I am into Bowers. He is an exciting player, a tough player who would represent the culture Harbaugh wants and be a blast to watch. I also would love to have our own Kelce to shove down the Chiefs throat for a change. But I am open to trading down for extra picks to address the multiple needs on this roster. The more I look at it the more I admit that makes the most sense, if Hortiz finds the right trading partner. If we sit at 5 the players I think that should be considered are Bowers, Nabers, Alt.

My preference for this pick is Bowers, Nabers or trade down. Alt is a fine tackle but the reason I dont want to use the 5th pick ona right tackle is because this draft is absolutey stacked with good tackles. There are projected to be as many as 8 tackles drafted in the first round. If there is a position that screams for trade down, it is getting a right tackle in the first round.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Keenan Allen getting extended means two years where 3rd down mostly goes through him.
          Or another way to look at is that Herbert will have another legit option besides Allen on 3rd down...which makes the offense less predictable and more dangerous...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

That depends on injuries and how he will be used.
            If the Chargers draft him at #5, I'll be behind it because they will have a plan and Herbert.

Other organizations, like Las Vegas, I wouldn't be so certain.
            Yes for sure, but Harbaugh's offense and TEs is a total fit. Vernon Davis was big in SF for him. Davis was drafted 6 overall btw.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Allen is good, but sorry after watcing our plodding offense. we need some YAC and Keenan doesnt provide that and wont be the deeper he gets into his 30s.

In fact I dont know how anyone can watch our offense and say Herbert doesnt need more explosve weapons. it would also be nice to see Herbert not so locked on to Keenan all the time. Another way to become harder to defend.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I hear what you are saying.

I already commented on Pitts. He has not been dominant up to now but some very valid circumstances with that offense in Atlanta have been a factor. Bowers is a more well rounded TE prospect as well.

I completely understand that college success is only part of the picture and does not guarentee NFL success but that applies to every single player picked in this draft. I expect Bowers to show well at the combine to add his college resume. Many scouting experts say Bowers is not only one the of the best players in this draft but one of the safest. Many figured he was ready for the NFL as a freshman. The guy is special. The guy is a baller.

Yes I understand that in some classes the first TE drafted isnt always the best NFL player but in this draft I really dont see that being the case. In this draft Bowers is ina class all on his own. The drop off after Bowers is massive. That is why without any really good TES on this roster, with TE being so important to Harbaugh, Bowers is a consideration with the top pick. Last years TE class was deep with options , the deepest in many years. Also too early after one year to conclude that Kincaid wont be the best. He showed good flashes but had to share snaps with Dawson Knox who just had signed a big contract in Buffalo. he wasnt going to be phased out right away. LaPorta had no competetion for snaps in Detroit. They were also only 9 picks apart. Kincaid late first. LaPorta early second. Neither are at Bowers level coming into the draft.

Clearly I am into Bowers. He is an exciting player, a tough player who would represent the culture Harbaugh wants and be a blast to watch. I also would love to have our own Kelce to shove down the Chiefs throat for a change. But I am open to trading down for extra picks to address the multiple needs on this roster. The more I look at it the more I admit that makes the most sense, if Hortiz finds the right trading partner. If we sit at 5 the players I think that should be considered are Bowers, Nabers, Alt.

My preference for this pick is Bowers, Nabers or trade down. Alt is a fine tackle but the reason I dont want to use the 5th pick ona right tackle is because this draft is absolutey stacked with good tackles. There are projected to be as many as 8 tackles drafted in the first round. If there is a position that screams for trade down, it is getting a right tackle in the first round.
                I guess for me it all boils down to that I'm putting my faith in Harbaugh and his chosen GM Hortiz to make the right decisions in this draft.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Not start. Salyer is RT. You wanna pay Pip that much to ride pine? What message does that send to starters making a fraction of his salary? Cuz with all the rookies on the way in, that’s one bad optic. I know we can’t not pay him, I just don’t want to pay him and have him on the bench, rather have [insert promising rookie here] as a backup swing tackle. I mean when have we ever kept a backup guy making more than the starters??
                  I am already paying him no matter what i do
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I guess for me it all boils down to that I'm putting my faith in Harbaugh and his chosen GM Hortiz to make the right decisions in this draft.
                    Well we all have to do that.

This thread is all about our personal preferences.

I think Hortiz and Harbaugh will be drafting linemen in every draft from now on. All for it. I dont expect we will be picking at 5 very often under Harbaugh so with this rare opportunity ilike the idea of a difference maker playmaker stud, if we keep the pick. Nabers would be awesome too.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Well we all have to do that.

This thread is all about our personal preferences.

I think Hortiz and Harbaugh will be drafting linemen in every draft from now on. All for it. I dont expect we will be picking at 5 very often under Harbaugh so with this rare opportunity ilike the idea of a difference maker playmaker stud, if we keep the pick. Nabers would be awesome too.
                      I expect to be drafting lower than #25 from 2025 on for quite awhile.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Off the top of your head can you name all of the quarterbacks who were drafted in the top five in NFL history? I can't. But I can easily name the ONE tight end who was drafted in the top five in NFL history: Kyle Pitts.

Tight ends don't get drafted as early as other positions. This leads to many great tight ends falling out of the first round, including the two best today: Kittle (fifth round) and Kelce (third round). Another All-Pro tight end, Mark Andrews, was drafted in the third round. Sam LaPorta was just voted All-Pro as a rookie. He went in the second round. Jake Ferguson made his first Pro Bowl after catching 71 passes for the Cowboys this season. He was drafted in the fourth round. The list goes on and on, and it's more impressive than the tight ends who were picked in the first round since Kelce entered the NFL in 2013. I doubt you'll find the same or similar results at quarterback, edge, corner, or offensive tackle.
                        The new thing should be drafting QBs in the last two rounds since Brady and Purdy are in SBs.

Keep reading the logic above,....just don't care. Safeties don't get drafted top 5 either.....til a special one comes around like Sean Taylor.

Again I'm all for trading down but let's just stop with Kittle was a 5th rounder BS. Again he was 1 of 5 TEs drafted in round 5 that year and the only one who is starting and producing. The other 4 or either out of the league or backups bouncing around.

The lone 4th round TE that year is out of the league after 2 years
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-11-2024, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Allen is good, but sorry after watcing our plodding offense. we need some YAC and Keenan doesnt provide that and wont be the deeper he gets into his 30s.

In fact I dont know how anyone can watch our offense and say Herbert doesnt need more explosve weapons. it would also be nice to see Herbert not so locked on to Keenan all the time. Another way to become harder to defend.
                          Preach!!

I am good with Allen coming back - he is a move the chains type player but for sure, they need some explosive players on offense
                          RB
                          TE
                          WR - unless QJ can be that guy. But heck, why not have TWO good WRS with playmaking skills.

Comment

Working...
                          X