• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

4.63 at combine and 4.61 at pro day

NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Day scores, percentiles and metrics for Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post
      While I love the idea of Bowers on the Bolts, the reality of taking him doesn't make sense from a positional value point of view at #5 and looking at our roster.
      I'm going to go with the 3 QB and MHJ drafted before us as the scenario as otherwise we easily take MHJ or trade down for a ransom for someone who wants whichever QB falls.

Looking at our cap space (or lack of it), it means almost assuredly one of our high paid WRs (and realistically it's Mike Williams) gets cut, and one of Bosa or Mack (or maybe both).
      QJ is not the answer so far, and Allen is not getting younger, so WR is a big need also.
      Bowers isn't being drafted for blocking, so let's compare him as a receiver.
      Last year in the NFL in receiving yards the first TE was Kittle at 24, and he was the only one top 25. For TDs caught there was only 1 TE (LaPorta) in the top 25 also.
      Bower's production and stats would be less than that of a Nabers or Odunze easily.
      Why do you think the Chiefs were able to keep Kelce, but had to deal Tyreek; they (and other teams) know where the value and better player is.
      If you went to every team and offered them #5 for their best TE all of them would take the pick.
      Then you also look at the history of highly drafted TEs and it's a disaster. You'd be banking on Bowers not only being good but upper-tier HoF (Gates, Gronk, Tony G, Kelce) level to get good return on the pick.

Overall, there just isn't enough value in Bowers to take him at #5.
      I'd take a WR (Nabers), or if the team is convinced on a Tackle or EDGE player that'd be second choice.
      If they really want Bowers, then at least trade down and get some picks, as we'll need to refill the roster after the cap cuts incoming.
      What's the value in Nabers over Bowers?

We already have some good recievers. We don't have a good TE.

As for OL, I think we need a OG over a RT. A solid OG next to Pipkins is an upgrade and of course we need a OC. But the middle of the OL was trash.

Pip was better in 2022 with a sprained.knee. Don't know why since we changed OL coaches he went backwards but now we replaced that guy.

I'm not dismissing a RT but just think the upgrades need to be in the middle. Let Pip and Salyer duke it out at RT.

Comment

• bman6555
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I bet you would have said drafting an RB at 12 last year was a no no. Well a team that made the Final 4 didn't care. They saw a special playmaker and used the 12 pick. Now they have a stud Gibbs who is a total difference maker to their offense for the foreseeable future.

There are exceptions.

Bowers is no Tebow.

And make no mistake TE is a need, the group we had last year sucks. TE is a staple of Harbaugh offenses.
        I'm certainly wanting an improvement at TE, but if the options to start next year are KA/Nabers/Palmer/Everett as the top 3 WR and 1 TE versus KA/Palmer/QJ/Bowers give me the first one any day. It is also much easier and cheaper to buy a TE upgrade in FA than to get a top WR. Hockenson went for a 2nd and 3rd last year, much less than a #5 overall.

Also funny you should mention Gibbs, I 100% agree it was a terrible value pick but it worked out not terrible. If the Lions had offered that pick to Carolina the year before they could have got CMC and extras. Who knows they might be in the SB at this moment.

Comment

• bman6555
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What's the value in Nabers over Bowers?

We already have some good recievers. We don't have a good TE.

As for OL, I think we need a OG over a RT. A solid OG next to Pipkins is an upgrade and of course we need a OC. But the middle of the OL was trash.

Pip was better in 2022 with a sprained.knee. Don't know why since we changed OL coaches he went backwards but now we replaced that guy.

I'm not dismissing a RT but just think the upgrades need to be in the middle. Let Pip and Salyer duke it out at RT.
          Who's got the better chance of putting up 1000 yards or lets say 7 TDs? Only 1 TE did either of those last year. 27 WRs did the first and 26 WRs did the 2nd. NFL teams don't use a TE as much as they do WRs. If you're looking to maximize on field impact for the same pick the WR is the way to go.

Unfortunately, the issue with our WRs is cap and health related. MW is probably a cap casualty and KA will need a replacement in the next couple years (if QJ had a better year 1 we'd have better options.).

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Who's got the better chance of putting up 1000 yards or lets say 7 TDs? Only 1 TE did either of those last year. 27 WRs did the first and 26 WRs did the 2nd. NFL teams don't use a TE as much as they do WRs. If you're looking to maximize on field impact for the same pick the WR is the way to go.

Unfortunately, the issue with our WRs is cap and health related. MW is probably a cap casualty and KA will need a replacement in the next couple years (if QJ had a better year 1 we'd have better options.).
            One thing you are missing though, this draft is stacked at WR, probably the deepest position in the draft...and there are talented stud WRs in every single draft. Bowers has done things in college that no one has ever done before. He is a unique player that doesn't come along very often.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

One thing you are missing though, this draft is stacked at WR, probably the deepest position in the draft...and there are talented stud WRs in every single draft. Bowers has done things in college that no one has ever done before. He is a unique player that doesn't come along very often.
              This is the way I see it. I just looked up Daniel Jeremiahs Top 50
              and I read it correctlyu Bowers was at 8 and the next TE was 41 - guy from TX Sanders

between Bowers and 41 therer were 5 WRs. So WR4 -WR8 was better than TE2
              DJ has MJr, Odunze and Nabers all ahead of Bowers in the top 7

Even after the Texas TE there are two more WRs.

Just one scout - but 10 WRs in the top 50 - two TEs - so a lot more depth at WR

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is the way I see it. I just looked up Daniel Jeremiahs Top 50
                and I read it correctlyu Bowers was at 8 and the next TE was 41 - guy from TX Sanders

between Bowers and 41 therer were 5 WRs. So WR4 -WR8 was better than TE2
                DJ has MJr, Odunze and Nabers all ahead of Bowers in the top 7

Even after the Texas TE there are two more WRs.

Just one scout - but 10 WRs in the top 50 - two TEs - so a lot more depth at WR
                And then you add in that some draft observers are calling Bowers the best TE prospect ever

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

A TE like Bowers IS worth the #5 pick. Herbert would go crazy with a Gates-type player. He can even block! Talk about opening up your offense, even the best WR won't have this effect. That said, one can never go wrong with building the trenches, I'm just looking more forward to an explosive offense.

Comment

• bman6555
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

And then you add in that some draft observers are calling Bowers the best TE prospect ever
                    Color me skeptical. I heard a lot of the same about Pitts when he was drafted. Before him it was Vernon Davis and before him Kellen Winslow II.
                    Some of that is clearly the Falcons issues at QB, but I think they'd have been much better off with Waddle or Smith who were taken a few spots later (nevermind Chase).

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Color me skeptical. I heard a lot of the same about Pitts when he was drafted. Before him it was Vernon Davis and before him Kellen Winslow II.
                      Some of that is clearly the Falcons issues at QB, but I think they'd have been much better off with Waddle or Smith who were taken a few spots later (nevermind Chase).
                      Booman55?!? Is that *you*?!?

Yes, I recall Pitts and Jamar Chase as being equally highly thought of, going into the draft.

Granted, I'd be curious to see how Pitts would be doing with Burrow throwing him the ball, but Jamar is a certified World Beater.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                        A TE like Bowers IS worth the #5 pick. Herbert would go crazy with a Gates-type player. He can even block! Talk about opening up your offense, even the best WR won't have this effect. That said, one can never go wrong with building the trenches, I'm just looking more forward to an explosive offense.
                        I think of Brock Bowers being an excellent option, but only one of several excellent options.

And I am STILL curious to see if a QB falls to #5 and spikes a huge offer to the Bolts to trade down.

There are multiple favorable ways this could go.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I'm certainly wanting an improvement at TE, but if the options to start next year are KA/Nabers/Palmer/Everett as the top 3 WR and 1 TE versus KA/Palmer/QJ/Bowers give me the first one any day. It is also much easier and cheaper to buy a TE upgrade in FA than to get a top WR. Hockenson went for a 2nd and 3rd last year, much less than a #5 overall.

Also funny you should mention Gibbs, I 100% agree it was a terrible value pick but it worked out not terrible. If the Lions had offered that pick to Carolina the year before they could have got CMC and extras. Who knows they might be in the SB at this moment.
                          Everett is a FA and I do not expect the new regime to resign him at all. No ties to him. JH tried to recruit Bowers.

Harbaugh spoke to QJ on the phone and allegedly said he is looking forward to coaching him so we can't and should not rule him out.
                          He will get better.

I just don't see WR as our pick. I think we go TE...and hec OT before WR. I actually don't see anything bad with your second option there and certainly we should draft another WR as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X