• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I would put Odunze ahead of Nabers for us.
    Not knocking Odunze, you're in good company with Jeremiah, but personally I just like Nabers explosion. Dude leaves smoke rings where he was.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think those MPH converted to 40 yards is very flawed. They should just stop using MPH.
      According to this, nobody is running 23 MPH.

Screenshot_20240408-165033.png
      Does it depend on the tool being used? Measuring anything under 25mph should be really easy technology wise. Plus it helps when said thing is running on a measured field.

In terms of the 23mph number you may be right. Again it might be dependent on tool being used. That said, I keep seeing other sources (possibly using other tools) comparing MH2's faster top speed to Tyreek's. Here's another link https://thespun.com/more/top-stories...one-in-the-nfl

"Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly recorded a speed of 22.2 MPH on Saturday, which was the FASTEST in all of college football," NFL Rookie Watch said in a post on X - formerly known as Twitter.

"That is faster than the fastest speed recorded in the NFL this past week (21.66 MPH) by Tyreek Hill,"
      the account continued. "And is also faster than any speed recorded in the ENTIRE NFL last season. Many NFL scouts reportedly believe Harrison is already one of the 'freakiest' WR prospects of the past decade. The Buckeyes WR is a MARTIAN."

Comment

• Jrock1970
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2024
        • Send PM

Running in Pads trying not to get tackled is very different than unincumbered track speed. Give me the guy that plays fast on Sundays and can catch consistantly over the the John Ross type anyday, everyday and twice on Sundays👍

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Jeez….he doesn’t look that fast on tape but sometimes it’s hard to tell with the tall guys because they don’t look like they’re moving that fast. What I like best about him is he’s got that cold psychopath killer instinct like his dad had. No real expressions on their faces but underneath that quiet exterior is a real killer. Guys like that are just ballers all the time. The moment doesn’t affect them. Marvin Harrison Sr rarely said a word but wasn’t someone you want to mess with. He actually shot a guy in Philly that tried to rob his liquor store (look it up).
          Perhaps the best people to ask are defenders trying to stop him. They can better gauge his on field velocity, strength, and overall skillset. Dude doesn't have to reply on pure speed. He runs a certain pace on purpose. Yeah that's a true baller.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Not knocking Odunze, you're in good company with Jeremiah, but personally I just like Nabers explosion. Dude leaves smoke rings where he was.
            <meemeep!> Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Dude's a roadruner.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Does it depend on the tool being used? Measuring anything under 25mph should be really easy technology wise. Plus it helps when said thing is running on a measured field.

In terms of the 23mph number you may be right. Again it might be dependent on tool being used. That said, I keep seeing other sources (possibly using other tools) comparing MH2's faster top speed to Tyreek's. Here's another link https://thespun.com/more/top-stories...one-in-the-nfl

"Marvin Harrison Jr. reportedly recorded a speed of 22.2 MPH on Saturday, which was the FASTEST in all of college football," NFL Rookie Watch said in a post on X - formerly known as Twitter.

"That is faster than the fastest speed recorded in the NFL this past week (21.66 MPH) by Tyreek Hill,"
              the account continued. "And is also faster than any speed recorded in the ENTIRE NFL last season. Many NFL scouts reportedly believe Harrison is already one of the 'freakiest' WR prospects of the past decade. The Buckeyes WR is a MARTIAN."
              No idea what they use. I just see these MPH shown and then look at the 40s and it dont add up. I think MPH is just another gimmick they came up with the try to untilize it for something. Kinda like a RAS score from years ago but it has little meaning these days. Player are over evaluated now.
              There is no way MHJ is faster than Tyreek Hill or Worthy. You gonna tell me he is faster than the guy who ran the fastest combine 40 ever? If he knows he will blaze a 40, why wouldnt he run it?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Two things can be similar, yet different, and be of identical quality. I think that's pretty much what we're looking at with Nabers/Odunze.

Let's say-- for the sake of discussion here-- that the various rumors that call Nabers' character into question are completely wrong. Even then, you have to see Odunze's heart and leadership traits as a bonus. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed with EITHER becoming a Charger.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

No idea what they use. I just see these MPH shown and then look at the 40s and it dont add up. I think MPH is just another gimmick they came up with the try to untilize it for something. Kinda like a RAS score from years ago but it has little meaning these days. Player are over evaluated now.
                  There is no way MHJ is faster than Tyreek Hill or Worthy. You gonna tell me he is faster than the guy who ran the fastest combine 40 ever? If he knows he will blaze a 40, why wouldnt he run it?
                  In theory Tyreek could run a faster 40 but have a lower top speed than MH2.

That said it appears one of the sources producing these claims is a company called Reel Analytics. https://reel-analytics.net/
                  I know the NFL uses Next Gen Stats. In the comparison below it appears Reel Analytics records a slightly slower time.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

The mph times you see are generally taken with GPS monitors and are accurate, but there's a big difference between top speed and acceleration. In a 40 yard dash most guys don't hit top speed until towards the end, if at all. Plenty of guys have top speed identical or very similar to Tyreek Hill but don't look near as fast because what really sets him apart is his instant acceleration - he can go from a slow jog to near top speed in about 3 steps. Jerry Rice had neither a great 10 yard start or 40 time but he also had that ability to go from half speed to top speed really quick which made him look (and play) a lot faster than his times would indicate.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

The mph times you see are generally taken with GPS monitors and are accurate, but there's a big difference between top speed and acceleration. In a 40 yard dash most guys don't hit top speed until towards the end, if at all. Plenty of guys have top speed identical or very similar to Tyreek Hill but don't look near as fast because what really sets him apart is his instant acceleration - he can go from a slow jog to near top speed in about 3 steps. Jerry Rice had neither a great 10 yard start or 40 time but he also had that ability to go from half speed to top speed really quick which made him look (and play) a lot faster than his times would indicate.
                      I thought Rice' greatest virtue was a cloak of invisibility. Not seriously but it often looked that way, he was soooo open. I'd guess that he was a, make that THE Master of reading the coverage scheme and using it against the coverage. Rice was one of a kind.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2024
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        curious which order you got the wideouts in ??
                        I have MHJ 1st
                        Then I have a tossup between Nabers and Odunze if I'm the Chargers.
                        Just based on what each player brings.

MHJ- Primarily X (Generational Though)
                        Nabers- Primarily Z/Slot (But Capable of X) (Most explosive)
                        Odunze- Primarily X (But capable Z) (Great Hands and body control)

I have those 3 way above the rest of the pack. Everyone else will initially have to fit inside a specific role and hopefully grow into better players in that role.
                        These 3 could do multiple things and are all used to being their teams #1 and facing the Top coverage schemes and players from their opponents.
                        That's something that gets overlooked when discussing these Elite players. They face the opponents best and will less likely not have a long learning curve when looking at coverage disguises and how to get open.

The problem with getting mid round guys and hoping they pan out is they may have always faced the weaker corners and feasted on them but now are the number #1 guys and struggle with separation. Or the OC has to work harder to scheme them open because of their limitations.

The Elites are literally plug and play.

Here's an interesting thought to ponder? What if the Chargers have MHJ #1 and he's taken 4th. But they have a Similar grade on both Nabers & Odunze.
                        Would you consider trading back one spot with the Giants and getting their 2024 4th RD selection 107 & 2024 6th Rd selection 183?
                        You would still get your Elite WR at #6 and get some extra draft capital in the meat of this draft. That would give you 4th round picks 105/107/110.

Or

Would you trade with Tennessee allowing them to get Alt still getting your Elite WR but this trade looks like this.
                        You get 2024 4th Rd selection 106 and a 2025 3rd Round selection.
                        So again, more draft capital in the meat of this draft and a future 3rd round pick because the Titans don't current have a 2024 3rd.

Both these trades are within the margins of the trade chart and would get you extra capital without sacrificing the Elite Blue-Chip Player.

Food for thought.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

I would also mention Bryan Thomas Jr that guy is a freak the likes of which hasn't been seen in a while. He's got Randy Moss type speed at 6'4 and is more agile than Moss or DK Metcalf in the short area. If LSU hadn't seen so much two high coverage that guy probably would have set all sorts of records. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some teams that covet him as much as they do any of the other receivers in this class.

Comment

Working...
                          X