• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrock1970
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2024
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Because taking the interior defensive lineman fits the overall theme of more physicality in the trenches. They're looking at the roster and have to feel comfortable with Tuli being a good edge player the next ~10 years. You pair him with a guy that can wreck things inside that makes the entire front 7 tough ala Baltimores biggest rival Cam Heyward & TJ Watt - Tuli might not ever be TJ Watt but he's definitely an AFC North type of player that runs through people, wrecks the run, rushes the passer etc. They're gonna want a dominant inside presence to pair with that. If they don't take Murphy I think it's a good probability they take Chris Jenkins in the 2nd I know Harbaugh loves his attitude & work ethic & if they wanna target him they're gonna have to draft him higher than people think.
    I agree with everything you said. We know Harbaugh's mantra is you win with the lines, however what we don't know is how highly he rates the top corners or edge compared to them. He might prefer someone like Sweat over Murphy or Jenkins at their respective slot. With Mack or Bosa, we don't know how they want to move forward beyond this year and the best edge will be available with that pick. I have my own preference, but really just hope whatever they decide to do.....works out both short and long term

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
      Why the pick will MOST LIKELY trade down:
      a) Hortiz has a history of that.
      b) #5 is attractive (for a QB OR WR - Nabers or MHJ should be there). Heck, someone may have a hard on for OT Alt
      c) Harbaugh prioritizes the OL. So does Hortiz (It's NOT Telesco choosing another 1st Round WR ala Mike Williams, or QJ).

Harbaugh said the QB is MOST impt. OL is VERY impt too because it protects the MOST impt position. Makes sense to me...what do you think?

Therefore: They trade down to #11, Get a solid RT, then get a top CB @#23. Rd #2 DT Fiske (stop run and pass.) Rd #3 Let's go WR Brenden Rice. #4. RB Corum, Ray Davis or Bucky Irving. Other #4 DE. Half of these 6 picks are trenches.
      I could see something like this happening.

Will freely admit that passing up on MHJr would be a tough pill to swallow, but I can be onboard depending on how the rest of the draft looks.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

so the cape crusaders were on it from day one.... they saw the three QBs and the one Marvin which left them slotted one short ??

enter our ex Michigan HC calling his former prodigy @QB.... the best QB in the draft.

then our Baltimore weathered personnel guru calling Malik the best wideout he's ever scouted, and.... wa!!a/voi!a.... we're now up to six highly valued prospects.

have they been successful @their ploy, and are they now open for biz ?? and what is their end game ??

Marvin/Malik ?? Alt ?? or a trade down ?? !!

does Az have an agreement w/NY ?? do we have an understanding w/Minny ??

does NY prefer JJ, or is he off the board to DC already ?? is Maye really the object of the Vikes desire ??

personal suspicion is that Joe needs to be careful or he might be Schoen the door.... ?? again personally, eye think he's a better man/gm than that, as 'tis really poor form not to improve not only Daniel's pass catching corps, but his worst ranked Oline.... he might suck, but he and most any other NFL QB would suck behind that Oline, and w/the dearth of pass catchers that he has had to work with....

and is Fuaga the end game/goal here ?? and what if he's off the board ?? are we ok w/Fashanu ?? or gasp.... Latham ??

should we push our luck by passing on the one or both of Marvin and/or Malik ?? and is there the chance that Odunze is the better pick than the either of 'em ??

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

and if Shedeur and Ewers are the only two first round options next go 'round, does that mean there won't be some good gets/gambits round two ??

the two Cameron's and Carson Beck ??

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

One potential fly in the ointment. Penix stock is rising as he is looking very good in workouts. Vikings sent a big contingent to Seattle including GM and coach to meet with him. This is a QB they could draft at 11 with no trade up.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
              One potential fly in the ointment. Penix stock is rising as he is looking very good in workouts. Vikings sent a big contingent to Seattle including GM and coach to meet with him. This is a QB they could draft at 11 with no trade up.
              Could be .... and the Vikings showing up in force tends to discredit the notion that they have a done deal with Arizona / Los Angeles.

However, he has a bad injury history and he's about to turn 24. Being left handed also doesn't help him .... but maybe not so much of a big deal.
              Also, no guarantee Denver doesn't trade ahead of them. Could be that they are trying to use him as leverage in moving up.
              Here is someone who says that he would fit into Sean Payton's offense really well.

Given the Denver Broncos' offseason and cap situation, drafting a quarterback is far more plausible than signing one. Penix Jr.'s propensity for staying in the pocket fits perfectly with Sean Payton’s offense, and the quarterback’s football intelligence only makes the fit more compelling.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                I think a big time under the radar pick at #5 is Byron Murphy and that would also be the most Ravens like pick and anti-charger pick. I think there will also be big time discussions for taking one of the pass rushers. But you pair Byron Murphy with Tuli and the Dline pressure is set for the next 8-10 years.

People will say that's a reach at #5 but who gives a damn if you get the player you want? That kids tape is really really impressive. Defensive tackle has been the worst or one of the worst position groups on this roster for nearly 20 years now going all the way back to when Jamal W. got injured. That would send a strong statement that things are changing.

I don't think they will take Alt because Alt's agent & family will not want him playing right tackle.
                or Byron Murphy in a trade down #11 scenario.

I was thinking of the possibility that everyone here is way off concerning the draft (again);
                our GM goes in an unexpected direction that after the fact everyone goes - of course!

Murphy #11 and that other LSU wide receiver at #23 (if he's there and the trade back works out).

As much as the Brent Kolman's of the world insist that its Alt, I just don't see using another high 1rst with a 2nd OT, particularly one 6'9" and moving him to the other side.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                  At least the Raiders and Broncos wouldn't get him! Baahahahahhahaaa!

If the Bolts are stuck drafting from #5 and are forced to take an elite receiver, I'm just going to have to accept it, gosh darn it! lol

As *IF* that's a "lose". It's not, it's just a different kind of "win". Not a bad scenario at all..

Comment

• Rambler
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • No Cal
                    • Civil Research Attorney
                    • Send PM

What about the possibility of Vikings trading up with us for Mayes or McCarty, and then another team leapfrogging ahead of Denver for Penix?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Could be .... and the Vikings showing up in force tends to discredit the notion that they have a done deal with Arizona / Los Angeles.

However, he has a bad injury history and he's about to turn 24. Being left handed also doesn't help him .... but maybe not so much of a big deal.
                      Also, no guarantee Denver doesn't trade ahead of them. Could be that they are trying to use him as leverage in moving up.
                      Here is someone who says that he would fit into Sean Payton's offense really well.

Given the Denver Broncos' offseason and cap situation, drafting a quarterback is far more plausible than signing one. Penix Jr.'s propensity for staying in the pocket fits perfectly with Sean Payton’s offense, and the quarterback’s football intelligence only makes the fit more compelling.
                      Yes there is the injury history but he is killing it in work outs. Ran a 4.5 and he is throwing lasers to every part of the field. His arm is killer, probably the best in this draft. He doesnt make as many bad throws as Maye. Could be a better QB than McCarthy

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

or Byron Murphy in a trade down #11 scenario.

I was thinking of the possibility that everyone here is way off concerning the draft (again);
                        our GM goes in an unexpected direction that after the fact everyone goes - of course!

Murphy #11 and that other LSU wide receiver at #23 (if he's there and the trade back works out).

As much as the Brent Kolman's of the world insist that its Alt, I just don't see using another high 1rst with a 2nd OT, particularly one 6'9" and moving him to the other side.
                        This would be ideal to me but I don't think Thomas Jr will be around at #23.

Comment

• Jrock1970
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2024
                          • Send PM

The most expensive position in the game. Penix Injury history would completely scare me away. The two examples that imediately come to mind are Jason Verret and Denario Alexander. They may not be QB's but both were fantastic athletes/football players that amazed us when healthy but couldn't stay on the field......lots of $$$ with little return

Comment

Working...
                          X